1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

II Timothy 2; 4

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs-- He wants to please his commanding officer. NIV. In attempting to persuade my son against running for political office I pointed out this scripture which I believe discourages one doing such. What say Ye? Were there any first century Christians involve in gov/politics?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great question! One difficulty is that representative governance did not exist to any great extant during biblical times, other than the elective offices within the church. People were chosen by a show of hands, and seeking a leadership role is said to be honorable.

If you take a gander at Hebrews chapter 11, note that the last 5 names listed were military leaders.

So I think we would have a hard time making a credible case against serving in leadership, in a God honoring way.

3. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Probably not. About the only political interaction they might have had was being supper for some of the lions the Roman government used back then.

OTOH, Paul spends a good part of Romans 13 telling those Christians to submit to the Roman government. Who was emperor at that time? Most likely it was Nero. Nero was not that friendly to Christians. His idea for the use of Christians was to use them for outdoor lighting. Not the kind of guy I'd want to invite to a "candle lighting" service at my church!!

Then there's I Timothy 2:1-3 where Paul exhorts Timothy to pray for kings & all that are in authority.

So, even though there were few (if any) Christians holding political offices back then, they were to submit to them and pray for them--whether we like whoever is "in authority" or not.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is one of the verses discussing the leader/pastor/elder of the local assembly: "Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed, shepherd the flock of God among you, not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock."