1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I'll bet you don't

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by plain_n_simple, Oct 8, 2012.

1. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

How often do you lay hands on and pray?

I'm not talking about "keeping" someone in your prayers, or a prayer list.

How often do you physically lay hands on the sick and command the sickness to go?

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

I am learning this truth!

Jesus never told anyone to "pray" for the sick ( "Father, please heal that person in Jesus' Name"), but instead He told us to lay hands and command sickness to go away. There's a big difference! We're not doing it the way they did it in the New Testament, and that's a big reason why we're not seeing the results that they saw.

When people are not far away from us, the Bible tells us to do something quite unexpected! In the Gospels, there are three times when Jesus commissioned people to go out and heal the sick, and not once did He say to pray for the sick. Notice what He said:

Matthew 10:5: "These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: "Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans."
    Matthew 10:6: "Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel."
    Matthew 10:7: "As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near.'"
    Matthew 10:8: "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give."

Luke 10:1: "After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go."
    Luke 10:2: "He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." ...
    Luke 10:9: "Heal the sick who are there and tell them, 'The kingdom of God is near you.'"

Mark 16:15: "He [Jesus] said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation."
    Mark 16:16: "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."
    Mark 16:17: "And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;"
    Mark 16:18: "they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.""
    In the above passages, notice that Jesus never commissioned anyone to "pray" for the sick, but instead He commissioned us to heal the sick. There's a big difference! For example, when we're talking to a sick person, most of us will go home and pray for the person at a more convenient time, but no-one in the entire New Testament ever did such a thing.

Ever notice how healings were done after the cross?

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

James 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

1st, here is God telling us to PRAY for the sick.

Our churches pastors (elders, same thing) frequently do this, laying hands on people who are sick in the hospital. I have only been a part of ONE occasion where we actually used oil. That man, I do believe, came through his surgery well, but was murdered several months later.

We also frequently bring forward those who are being sent away (Short-term missions trips, long-term missionaries, deployed military, even those moving away from our church for various reasons)...we have the Pastors and deacons lay hands on them and pray God's blessing on them as they go.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We do it as often as requested. My daughter was healed after my husband, a deacon and I prayed over her with the laying on of hands and anointing with oil. :) If we have someone who is ill at our church, we'll ask if they want us to pray over them and anoint them and if they do, we will do it.

5. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I have been involved in that fairly often, as well as when ordaining someone.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you place your hands when you're healing?

On top the head?
    On a shoulder?
    On the affected body part?

Do you as Elisha did:

"So he entered and shut the door behind them both and prayed to the LORD. And he went up and lay on the child, and put his mouth on his mouth and his eyes on his eyes and his hands on his hands, and he stretched himself on him; and the flesh of the child became warm. Then he returned and walked in the house once back and forth, and went up and stretched himself on him; and the lad sneezed seven times and the lad opened his eyes."

7. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

LOL no I don't do what Elisha did. Typically I put my hand on the persons head or shoulder. I don't think the Bible suggests or commands a specific placement on this.

Jas 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;
    Jas 5:15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. (NASB)

NT verses that talk about laying on of hands:
    Mat_19:15
    Mar_8:23; Mar_10:16
    Luk_4:40
    Act_8:17; Act_8:18; Act_9:17
    1Ti_4:14
    2Ti_1:6
    Heb_6:2

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It usually depends on where I am and how many people are laying on hands. I've even had to lay hands on someone else who was laying their hands on the person because there were so many there!

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

He said "pray over them"...so how did they pray over someone in the NT?

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

James 5:13 - Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.

James 5:16 - Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is very effective.

In addition to these two verses and the verses already mentioned, the vast majority of prayers in the NT are for spirtual matters, note especially the prayers of Paul, that people may grow in the knowledge of Jesus.

However, all that to say: "what's your point?"

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

THis is speaking of the person themselves. Not to pray for someone else but for themself and sing if they are happy.

How are we to pray for one another...using the NT examples?

12. awaken

awaken Active Member

There's a big difference between the way that they healed the sick in the New Testament, and the way that we pray for the sick today. We usually pray something which boils down to, "Father, please heal that person in Jesus' Name," but this is not what Jesus commissioned us to do! This is an unScriptural way to pray for healing because no-one in the entire New Testament was ever healed by this type of prayer. Our assumptions about how to pray for the sick are hindering us from seeing miracles of healing.

13. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is no command in scripture that tells the christian lay person to lay hands on anyone. The texts that you will cite have reference to Jesus Christ and the apostolic office. Laying on of hands by the apostles communicated spiritua gifts (Rom. 1:11; 2 Cor. 12:12; Acts 8:15-17).

14. plain_n_simple

[offensive language removed]

#14 plain_n_simple, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You should be removed from this forum for addressing others who disagree with you by such name calling.

However, since you are incapable of responding with Biblical evidence then your only alternative is ridicule and name calling. BTW I am not the only one on this forum who takes that position. Are you going to start calling all who disagree with your interpertations - "Antichrist"???

16. plain_n_simple

a form of Godliness but denying the power of God

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Like I said, your response indicate your level of intelligence and ability. You can't respond with scriptures to show that I am wrong so you reduce the discussion to name calling and insults. Grow up!

18. plain_n_simple

I gave the scripture, which you do not understand, may God bless you and open your blind unbelief

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

There are 14 posts previous to this one and there is NOT ONE where you gave any scripture! I did give scriptures! You gave only insults.

20. plain_n_simple

Again, you seem to "have a form of Godliness, but deny the power". That is scripture my opposite friend.