1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I'm a zillion people!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Gina B, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ok, here's the problem. It seems that occasionally everything flips out on the internet for me, I'm starting to associate it with every time I run the auto maintenance thingie. What happens is that I get logged out of all forums (even though I DON'T have the cookies deleted), and on top of that, when I sign onto sites it looks like I'm a number of people.
    The thing with that is, I DID have something installed on my computer before to have that happen on purpose. It would mask my IP and give a false one, and if I was on a site it would make it looks like a number of people were on, not just me.
    But I uninstalled it. And there wasn't any problem when I DID have it on with this happening. I would still be recognized on sites I wanted to be logged onto.
    Now I have to re-log in, and on some sites it refuses to let me do that. I have to either be the admin. of the site and change my user password to use my name, and on one where I admin. it doesn't even recognize me at all. On sites that I'm not the webmaster has to go in reset my info because the software sees me as a hack attempt.
    What in the world is going on???? Any clues?
    Gina

2. Son of Consolation

Son of Consolation New Member

Did you ever consider to approach the problem with a hammer Chrysoprasus? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Considered, yes, but just as quickly I decided it would cost too much to get another computer. I already knew the cost of just speakers after I winged 'em across the room. :(
    I DID smack it on the side, kinda like you do an old TV with bad reception. I don't think it helped the computer, but I felt better. [​IMG]
    I've been working hard on my temper lately, in case anyone's wondering. ;)
    Chrys

4. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

So YOUR computer started that vicious denial of service attack we are all hearing about! Don't worry, i won't tell the authorities. :D :D

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just guessing--have you tried deleting all your cookies? What happens after you do that and try to re-enter those sites?

Although it's more likely that those sites registered your IP address, and the activity you were causing, and have been set up to block your particular IP address....

[ October 23, 2002, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Don ]

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yes, I actually did that one by accident. Now there's sites that won't let me back on at all. LOL. I could probably COULD but the webmasters are unwilling to do all the stuff it would include, which would be to delete me as a user, lower the security while I reregistered, blah blah blah.
    I'm thinking it's something happening when I run the windows maintenance wizard thing. That's when I noticed it seems to happen again.
    Gina

7. LindaB

LindaB New Member

Don, what do yu do for a living, and if it isnt tech support..why not? :confused:
    i always learn something from you..and here i thought i knew it all
    :D LindaB

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in communications and computers, but more of a managerial position.

As my first *real* computer teacher--a guy who started with the Air Force back in the '60s, working with punch cards and has been working with computers ever since--told me: "If you meet a computer 'expert,' make sure to introduce me, so I can learn something."

Shucks, I missed a whole generation of processors (the Pentiums), and have been trying to catch up to the Athlons, P4s, and the latest 3-5gig processor chips that are about to come out...I'm waiting to meet the person who knows it all instead of the person who knows it all about one particular area or two.

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------

Chrys, the thing you said about the board moderators/web masters having to reduce a level of security kinda tells me that they're blocking your IP address. I'm still guessing, and I've been known to be wrong on occasion.

There ain't much you can do about that, since your ISP is the one that dictates your IP address. In fact, on perhaps the amusing side, if I'm correct, there's probably no one who uses your ISP getting into those web sites!!!

Hopefully, though, I'm way off the mark.

Solution? Can't think of one off the top of my head. You're having problems creating new accounts with the same web sites, and you can't get the administrators to create the accounts for you; so until one of our smarter computer folks on this board comes up with something, I'm stumped.

Could you please provide some of the web addresses?

[ October 25, 2002, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Don ]