1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I'm convinced the creationism debate does more harm than good

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HungryInherit, Feb 4, 2014.

1. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

I post on a secular (music) board and there is a long thread about the Nye and Ham debate. All it does is create a divide and hardens the hearts of the unsaved toward Christ. What is the point? What if all of these unsaved people heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ instead? I feel like it's doing more harm than good in the long run. Does anyone else feel like this?

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree completely. So far Ken Ham is doing a great job presenting the gospel in this debate!

True science and the gospel go hand and hand. There is no need to separate them.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This debate has been full of the gospel.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of the noncalvinists here sure agree with you, but I'm convinced you don't know much about the Gospel:

• Psa 100:3 KJV - Know ye that the LORD he [is] God: [it is] he [that] hath made us, and not we ourselves; [we are] his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
    • Mal 2:10 KJV - Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?
    • Mar 10:6 KJV - But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
    • Mar 13:19 KJV - For [in] those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.
    • Rom 1:25 KJV - Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
    • Rom 8:22 KJV - For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
      1Cr 11:9 KJV - Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
    • Eph 2:10 KJV - For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
    • Eph 3:9 KJV - And to make all [men] see what [is] the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
    • Eph 4:24 KJV - And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
    • Col 1:16 KJV - For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
    • 1Ti 4:3 KJV - Forbidding to marry, [and commanding] to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
    • 1Pe 4:19 KJV - Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls [to him] in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.
    • Rev 10:6 KJV - And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The unsaved are born hardened in sin.Standing for the truth is the biblical model...see Aarons post.

If the word of God is not established they will not believe anyway.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken Ham continues to share the Gospel and point old bill to God.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fully agree with you that debates like this are harmful and polarizing. This debate fed the arrogant attitudes of each side.

I can't see how a debate like this would help to spread the good news of Jesus Christ.

Rob

8. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

I work nights so I'm not able to listen or watch now. I'm just seeing what these people are posting about the debate. I guess no one feels the same way I do and apparently I don't know the gospel. I guess this board isn't the place for me after all

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I think you are 100% correct. It's just another issue( like abortion and homosexuality and addiction and drinking) that we think we have to win and that they see us trying to win instead of just loving folks and preaching the Gospel.

10. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

What if I tried to witness and share with one of these people and their only exposure to Jesus Christ has been a debate. It's just shameful to me

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Au contraire mon frere. I have been saying exactly what you're saying. We do this with so many issues and we become known as people are against evolution, and against whatever our sin of the day is instead of being known as people who love Jesus and other folks out of the overflow of that love.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you are not able to watch it you have no idea what is going on. You judgement of shame is therefore unfounded and ignorant.

13. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Hungry, don't take Aarons stabs to heart. Be confident and be inquisitive. Keep learning and investigating. Keep your heart bent toward your maker and ignore stabs.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I agree. All because we need to be right about an issue. If we'd just preach the Gospel.

15. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

I've read some exact quotes from Ham, I just haven't been able to listen to it in real-time.

Thank you for your post, I really enjoy your contributions to the board.

Completely agree

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Argument lead nowhere in these debates.
    Share what God has given you, the power of the gospel;
    Communicate grace and hope - there is no answer to these.

Rob

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's so correct. And that's why it serves no purpose other than to confuse those listening about what's important to us. And it always comes across as just us trying to be right about another issue.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Our number one reason for being here is to tell a lost and dying world about the Gospel. The only thing that comes close is our worship and praise of the Lord.

However, if someone brings up the subject to me, I am going to state to that person exactly why I believe in the new earth, and how it is in harmony with science. Let me be clear about something though. That is quite different than this debate that is being sponsored by some form of mass media. When I talk to another person about creation, the center of attention is the Lord and the Gospel. When the studio is packed to hear the debate, the center of attention is the debaters and the subject of creation.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Very well said. :applause:

20. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't seen it yet. I plan to watch it in the morning.