1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I'm going to my first PGA event.

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Jul 26, 2005.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well I will going to the Buick Open on Friday, I believe both Tiger and Vijay will be there. I have never been to a PGA even, but have been told that it is a fun experience.

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Its alot of fun - when I go (the Byron Nelson and the Collonial - I will typically camp out at a hole that I can watch the players hit an approach to then put - but also where I can watch them tee off on the next hole. It is the best stategy if you want to get close to the big names. You will be amazed at the swell in the crowds when Tiger is making his way down the fairway - to a lesser extent VJ Phil and the other big names have the same effect.

After that I will find lesser player and follow them around the course, if Fred Funk is playing he is a fun one to follow - he plays to the crowd more than the rest do. Big John Daly is also fun to follow - you never know what will happen with him!

Leave your cell phone and camera at home

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am looking forard to it. I plan to park out at a par 3 I believe it is the sith hole. From there we will watch most of the big names play through then go off to other holes. The weather is supposed to be gorgeous- low to mid 80s with sun.

I'm a Tiger Woods fan (to the point that I play with Nike equipment) so I can't wait to see him in person. We plan to get there early so as to get a good spot in the crowd.

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

4---

I love going to a PGA tournaments. I used to live near the TPC/Sawgrass and was able to go when I lived there. Now, I usually go to the Doral Open each year.

I hope you have a great time. I agree with Jimmy C on his two hints; here are some more:

Get there early - even extra early. You normally have to park and then take an on-site transport to get to the actual course and this takes time. Plus, the later you go, the more crowded it gets.

Fridays are good days to go - you picked a good day. It's not nearly as crowded as Saturday or Sunday. Plus, you get to see everyone before the cut is made.

You can watch a lot of golf if you get there early enough to watch the first set tee off and then stay through the end of the day. Usually early morning and late afternoons are the least crowded.

If you get there early enough, you can watch a lot of players on the practice green or the driving range. And normally, you can get pretty close to the players.

It gets really hot out there. Bring plenty of sun protection and drink plenty of water. And wear a hat. Stay away from alcohol due to the heat.

Another place to hang out besides the par threes (where they normally have seats) is to find a good spot on the green for a par 4 or 5. You can watch the approach shots and be right there for the putts.

One of the downsides for the par threes - especially if there are seats - is that they are normally crowded and you are not as close compared to being on the ground. But then again, they have seats.

As Jimmy C said, don't bring a camera. But do bring binoculars. And sunglasses.

Bring plenty of $$$. Food and drink are usually on the high side. And none can be brought in.

Again, I hope you have a great time! I know I normally give you a tough time about Detroit, the Pistons, and the Big 10 -- all in good fun though. Let us know how you enjoyed it.

FOS

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Thanks for the tips- I sure am looking forward to it!

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well I am back! The Buick Open was awesome. Tiger Woods started the day at -1 and shot 7 birdies and two eagles to finnish -12 one shot away from the leader- Vijay Singh.

The weather was great, I saw lot of good golf and hope I can go to another PGA event. It is deffinatly a great experience.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of memories. I pastored in Grand Blanc (Bethany Baptist) back in 1970 and golfed at Warwick with church members. Trees were just saplings back then!! [​IMG]

Tiger couldn't keep it up from what I watched on the tube. But made it fun.

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I would love to be able to play at Warwick, but alas I do not know anybody that is a member and the green fees are horrendous.