1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I'm outa here

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by booklady, Sep 11, 2007.

1. booklady

booklady New Member

I joined the BB for fellowship and to try to encourage others but I find that I am discouraged by what I read on here. Forgive me if anything I said discouraged you but I do believe this is not the place for me.

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Happy trails and God bless! :godisgood:

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BL : There are a lot of different forums on the BB . All are not about debate . Why don't you try some of the others out ?

Perhaps you could just take a break from the BB for a month or two . That can really clear one's head . You'll realize that life does not have to revolve around the BB .

You can try to PM people you have something in common with .

Lastly , you can just lurk . But it will be too tempting and you'll find yourself posting soon enough .:wavey:

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Come on now, let's all grab her :D !

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. Then why not just quietly leave? If you truly are discouraged why start a thread to share your discouragement and try to discourage others to do the same thing?
    2. A very wise man that I know of said:
    "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly" (Proverbs 18:24).
    3. For example Sue, (I am Blessed17) also came looking for fellowship. In the time that she has been here she has made 43,531 posts. That is since January 2003, just a few months more than you have been here.
    4. Since you have been here (November, 2003) you have made an average of 0.07 posts a day or a total of 100 posts in about four years. Thus to say that you are looking for fellowship and are trying to encourage others is not really truthful. To do that you must be able to communicate with the ones that you are either fellowshippng with or encouraging. If you remain silent you cannot accomplish either goal.
    5. BTW, by the time I post this the number of posts I quoted for Sue will no doubt be out-dated.

But God in his sovereign will providentially led you here. He has given you a free will to make the choice whether to leave or to stay, be involved and make a difference. If you stay, you can make a difference. If you decide to leave, just leave your breach of contract fee at the door before you go. :)

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Just my two cents worth, but I believe I know the threads she is talking about, and BL, the threads you started were very well thought out, and I appreciated them. Read what I have to say and maybe stay.

There is a difference between debate and pure arrogance and meanness. There are two or three who lurk in the Calvinist threads (some here for less than a month) and other threads whose purpose is not to debate a point, but to demean ideas and people they do not agree with. I am not going to mention names, but it should be quite apparant.

Just ignore the judgemental, and say your point. Some of yours were quite good. Again, hope you will stay.

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I do hope you will reconsider, Booklady. Even among genuine Christians there are differences in understanding on many things, eschatology, free will, mode and purpose of baptism, bible translations, and many others. When such things are debated/discussed, it should be an encouragement to us all to go back to God's Word and study it all the more. Yes, it is true that sadly, some people go over the top with personal remarks and disparaging comments about others who have a different understanding of the Scriptures, but in the few months that I have been on the BB, I have seen that such are in the minority.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've learned one important thing in life. You can't fellowship if you don't speak to people. 100 posts in nearly 4 years might by why you haven't found fellowship here. And there are several fellowship forums here, not all are deebate.

9. booklady

booklady New Member

1. I thought I should explain myself. I'm sorry if sharing my discouragement discourages others. That was not my intent. You are right. I probably should have just quietly left. I understand now that I should have stayed out of the debate forums.

2. I have many friends. I didn't mean that I was trying to make friends. I wanted fellowship, encouragement and hopefully to encourage others. I am truly sorry if I discouraged anyone.

3. I am sincerely happy for her.

4. I should have said, "since I started posting again." I posted for awhile back then, stopped for several reasons, none of which had anything to do with anyone on here, then started again recently.

5. Again, I am happy that she enjoys herself on here.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Debate is one thing, pure meanness is quite another. BL, you should stay. If you let people with that mindset (someone and others who has only been here one month), they have acheived exactly what they want.

11. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I have to agree, stick around and just avoid the threats that are argumentative (easy to spot...grow very quickly!).
    I think if you give it another shot you might change your mind.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I tell you, some of the Fellowship forums here are terrific. If that's what you're looking for, they can give you much encouragement.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

what meaness are we talking about

14. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what Booklady is saying. Part of the problem for me is that the typed word doesn't carry with it the intonation of the spoken word. Sometimes what sounds mean on paper isn't meant to be mean.

But there are threads that start off with honest discussion and degenerate. Like Bobbyd said, they seem to grow rapidly. If I come on here in the morning and the thread has 15 posts and 3 hours later they have 75 posts it usually seems that something has descended into people trading sound bites and very few even listening.

I hope you'll stick around, booklady

15. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Rather than encourage you stay, I'd rather encourage you to prayerfully seek God's leading and search the Scriptures for answers.

A few months ago I jumped in to these forums a little heavier than I should have and found the personal attacks and bitter disagreements of even the most basic principles of our faith disturbed me and hurt my faith. So I backed off for a few months, spent some more time with God in prayer and study, and soon felt much better.

One can be hurt emotionally or even one have doubts introduced, or have one's faith undermined on these boards, or any public forum, pretty easily. Caution and compassionate toughness are in order, based on the solid rock of Christ.

I hope you'll seek God's guidance and be strengthened in Him.

Best wishes,
    Will

16. AAA

AAA New Member

Our prayers are with you..........

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Meanness and arrogance is when IMHO when debate turns into asking a series of questions of the person that does not agree with your theological viewpoint that question their faith and Christianity.

From what I have seen, understanding the Scripture and higher education have no correlation. It is one thing to state what one thinks the Bible says, it is quite another to question people's faith because you think your opinion and God's are the same.

Booklady, the reason I am so adamant about you staying is that the same Spirit guides you as others who do not agree with you. From my observation, you have a kind spirit and caring spirit. You opponents are arrogant and rude.

#17 saturneptune, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007