1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Im the only one wearing pants

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by The Carpinator, Nov 25, 2005.

1. wwr 82

wwr 82 New Member

I wear jeans, and at times I wear a suit. Just depends on my mood, I guess. If they require a dress code, something is really wrong . Righteousness doesn't come with a $300.00 suit. If you're comfortable, and if the Word is being Preached correctly, by all means stay.

2. jstrickland1989

jstrickland1989 New Member

Personally, I believe we have to got way to comfortable with jeans and a t-shirt. You mean to tell me thats the best you can give God?

Well, Jamie, while it doesn't say "thou shalt wear a suit to church" the Bible tells us of the examples of how we should try to give our best to God. Also, if you could, please tell me what verse says that you shouldn't?

It's not a matter of whether you like wearing them. Am I saying go out and spend $300 on a suit? No, but I am saying you can dress nice without having to dress down. There are also suits that are much cheaper than that. Just the other day, I saw a commercial that stated you could get a suit for $75.

WOW! You don't think that shows love? Have you ever gone on any kind of date? I hope not, if you think this way. Or how about a job interview? It does matter.

James

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

However, some to think it comes with a $1000.00 suit and a big wallet though.

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

And Personally, I think people get to caught up in "what they should wear". Can you really, with a straight face tell me that God cares WHAT you wear?

In the Bible more times than one, it mentions your heart, that is What God cares about, what your heart feels, thinks, believes... That is what we are to protect the most.

Feeling like one should or shouldn't wear something is crazy talk. Love God, Study his word, and Spread his word.
    Well, Jamie, while it doesn't say "thou shalt wear a suit to church" the Bible tells us of the examples of how we should try to give our best to God. Also, if you could, please tell me what verse says that you shouldn't? </font>[/QUOTE]Turning the quote around, and asking the same question with a "n't" on the end of isn't a real question. It doesn't talk about suits in the Bible, which should be a clue that it doesn't matter... Wear a Suit or Don't wear a Suit.. Again, Love God, Study his word, and Spread his word.

What did Jesus wear? I mean in that day, there were robes of Purple and Gold right? The Pharisees and Priests wore them right? So, if wearing a "suit" meant something, why didn't Jesus have a nice Purple and Gold robe?

What did John the Baptist wear? What about the Apostle's? Did they wear nice suits?

It's not a matter of whether you like wearing them. Am I saying go out and spend $300 on a suit? No, but I am saying you can dress nice without having to dress down. There are also suits that are much cheaper than that. Just the other day, I saw a commercial that stated you could get a suit for $75. </font>[/QUOTE]You do realize that $75 is a lot of money to some people? $300 or $75, it the same difference to some people.
    WOW! You don't think that shows love? Have you ever gone on any kind of date? I hope not, if you think this way. Or how about a job interview? It does matter.

James
    </font>[/QUOTE]I have been on plenty of dates, and am dating someone now for 5 years.. Want to know something? I didn't dress to impress.. I dress the way I ALWAYS dress. So the theroy that you have to "dress to impress", isn't valid. Job interview, pair of dockers and a shirt, sometimes with a tie, sometimes not. Funny you should mention that, because most of the Jobs I really like, and enjoyed, I got when I won't trying. The ones you try so hard to get, are the ones that you find you don't really want in the long run. I would rather just Be Myself.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

How about your best jeans and newest t-shirt?

You know, I live in a place where it's quite acceptable, even for a preacher, to go to church in Carhart's and rubber boots. I live in a place where I've seen cars get stuck in the mud on streets that are in town. I highly doubt that anyone is trying to disrespect God with what he's wearing, and I doubt that many are trying to show how much better they are because they are more respectful, but there are some.

I admit that I do wear my nicest jeans when I preach, I will also make it a point to wear a collared shirt (usually a button down).

However, it's not reasonable to really expect people to shell out big bucks just to please other men. And there are also many people who have to have custom tailored suits. I do. $300 would be quite cheap. No one has to wear anything in particular to please me, but we do expect clothing at church to be modest.

So, if you cannot afford a suit, come to our church. We don't care.

6. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Most of what has been shared has to do more with cultural norms than biblical instruction. It has been said many times on this issue that decency is the biblical command. I live in the southwest and can tell you that a man can look nice in a pair of wranglers, roper boots and shirt, just as nice as one wearing a suit. Let us not confuse our cultures preferences with what the Bible says.

Bro Tony

7. jstrickland1989

jstrickland1989 New Member

word, and Spread his word.
    [/QUOTE]

Let me ask you this hypothetical question. If you went to the whitehouse, and was going to have dinner with the President, what would you wear? A pair of jeans and a t-shirt or your best? God certainly looks on the heart, but doesn't what we wear on the outside make a big statement about what's on the inside? Why is this crazy talk?

It's not a question because you don't have an answer. I don't know what Jesus wore, neither do I care. Jesus never owed anything to me, but I owe everything to him. And don't play with words. Did the apostles wear suits? Of course not.

James

8. I'm4Given

I'm4Given New Member

Be clean, both on your body and your clothes.
    My church is a come as you are church. Some
    wear suites some wear jeans.

One Sunday morning an old cowboy entered a church just before services were to begin. Although the old man and his clothes were spotlessly clean, he
    wore jeans, a denim shirt and boots that were very worn and ragged. In his hand he carried a worn out old hat and an equally worn out bible. The church he entered was in a very upscale and exclusive part of the city. It was the largest and most beautiful church the old cowboy had ever seen.

The people of the congregation were all dressed with expensive clothes and accessories. As the cowboy took a seat, the others moved away from him. No one greeted, spoke to, or welcomed him. They were all appalled at his appearance and did not attempt to hide it. The preacher gave a long sermon about Hellfire and brimstone and a stern lecture on how much money the church needed to do God's work.

As the old cowboy was leaving the church, the preacher approached him and asked the cowboy to do him a favor.

"Before you come back in here again, have a talk with God and ask him what He thinks would be appropriate attire for worship."

The old cowboy assured the preacher he would. The next Sunday, he showed back up for the services wearing the same ragged jeans, shirt, boots, and hat. Once again he was completely shunned and ignored.

The preacher approached the man and said, "I thought I asked you to speak to God before you came back to our church."

"I did," replied the old cowboy.

"If you spoke to God, what did he tell you the proper attire should be for worshiping in here?" asked the preacher.

"Well, sir, God told me that He didn't have a clue what I should wear. He said He'd never been in this church before."