1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IMB's David Platt Disavows Calvinism and Low CP Giving

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern Baptist International Missions Board trustee:

http://www.thealabamabaptist.org/print-edition-article-detail.php?id_art=32332

Platt satisfied the the committee he was "not a Calvinist" and

Platt apologized for his church's low Cooperative Program giving [one quarter of one percent of total church budget] and

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are some reason why Mac nor Washer would invite him to speak at one of their conferences. I like David, however not a dogmatic Calvinist.

But that Jay character. Why does he have women teachers?????

http://www.montgomeryfbc.org/our-staff

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? Platt was pastor at Church of Brookhills in Brimingham not FBC Montgomery. Oh, you meant the guy making the comment.

#4 go2church, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, the IMB trustee reporting on Platt's vetting is the pastor of First Baptist Montgomery.

6. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

As usual, the OP and Thread Title is misleading. I did not see where Platt said he did not believe in the doctrines of grace, and the statement about God's sovereignty and man's responsibility is one that any good Calvinist would agree with. It appears more likely that the writer of the article is convinced that Platt doesn't fit his "perception" of a mean nasty anti-missions Calvinist.

Regardless, I'm sure Platt will do well and I'm excited about all this, I hope that they selected him because of his true passion to see the gospel spread and his abilities/motivational skills, and there is no hidden agenda.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you look at the SBC stance on Calvinism - “we sometimes disagree over certain theological issues that should not threaten our Great Commission Cooperation” (statement from the Calvinism advisory committee) - it does seem a bit hypocritical for Calvinism to be such an issue for the IMB. Funny, there are similarities between this and the division that created southern baptists in the first place (different issue, same tactic).

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :confused:Does this mean he's not a Calvinist, or he is one but isn't obsessive about it?

#8 Jerome, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  9. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Platt is just willing to mold himself into whatever he needs to, in order to keep himself moving up in the world. Oh, excuse me, I mean the church.

A few years ago, I think 2011, Platt spoke at a pasrot's conference and railed vehemently against the use of a sinner's prayer in evangelism. He said something to the effect that multitudes are being given a false hope, that the church has sold them a bill of goods.

He was my hero for about three weeks, until a backlash came. Then he backpeddled, saying that he's not against the use of such methods, blah blah blah.

That told me all I needed to know about him. He seems all too willing to compromise his position if it keeps him popular, or if it's politically advantageous.

It's like "Oh, I never implied that a sinner's prayer is a false gospel."
    We know you didn't imply it, buddy. You stated it very matter-of-fact

Or like "Oh, I never claimed to be a Calvinist." Yet he's one of the leading Calvinist voices in the SBC

10. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yeah. Almost forgot....

Now he's gonna start supporting the cooperative program. After all, he has a vested interest in it after they became interested in him.

I think someone really great said not to do our good works in order to be seen by men. Hmmm

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to read his books. He's a Godly man. Never-mind his view on Calvinism, the point is that he is far from perfect, but he loves Jesus.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t see that Platt’s position has changed. His rejection of the “sinners prayer” was on the grounds that it would be misinterpreted/misused to lead people into a false belief. His acceptance when it is “crying out to the Lord” is no different from his earlier position. Also, just because one believes in God’s sovereignty in salvation does not make that person a Calvinist. But the issue of Calvinism seems to center around whether or not all can be saved (to my knowledge Platt has always held that all men can believe and be saved). I was always cautious because I felt that he came close (in Radical) to a strictly social gospel (although he dispelled that fear in one chapter…at least a bit).

13. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not interested in his books. He has a financial interest in telling you what he needs to, so you'll buy the next one.

Sorry, John. I've seen enough of him saying one thing here and something different there.

#13 JamesL, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014
  14. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Exactly. I think it's odd that this man makes such a statement without actually quoting anything Platt said about the Doctrines of Grace. All you need to do is pick up his books or listen to his sermons - he's definitely a Calvinist.

:thumbsup: Agreed. I'm excited to see what happens.

15. Thousand Hills

Thanks RLBosley.

Here is another perspective on Platt: http://www.pastorwell.com/blog/2014...w-president-of-the-imb-and-thats-a-good-thing

16. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

17. Thousand Hills

A few more: http://www.jdgreear.com/my_weblog/2...-imb-presidency-signals-about-our-future.html

And from Dr. Moore:http://www.russellmoore.com/2014/08/27/why-im-glad-david-platt-is-the-new-imb-president/