1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Immature Students

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul1611, May 13, 2007.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Amen to that! We looked at a couple for my youngest. He'd gone to a Christian HS (the one I teach at) and was quite intent on a Christian college. We were not impressed with the ones we visited. I know there are good ones out there. The ones he chose to visit weren't amongst them.

There were two graduates at SWBTS this past May with undergraduate degrees from UNC Chapel Hill. My son with his MDiv and a local young lady who got a degree in Counseling and Christian Ed. :thumbs:

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Congrats to your son and the young lady from your town! I pray that they have fantastic ministries! Our experiences sound familiar.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Moderator's Warning

Posting things over and over is a form of SPAM, which is not in accord with Baptist Board rules.

4. Nate7

Nate7 New Member

are you or have you ever been?

I attended a Baptist College, and in the beginning there were students who were "forced" by parents to be there, and others who just had no clue as to what they wanted to do with thier lives. In thinned out as we progressed more so in the Pastoral program. Alot of people there too seemed more concerned about dating than thier studies. But I made some life long friends there, that you dont find in the secular world.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I think that people who go to secular colleges also make life-long friends. At least that's been my experience.

I would also say the other observations you made could be made about those at secular colleges.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I still communicate on a regular basis with many I was in the Navigators with in college and many less from seminary. The percentage of those living for Christ today from the Navigators ministry I was involved in is greater after 35 years than from my seminary days which is far less than 35 years ago.

7. Nate7

Nate7 New Member

r u or have u ever been?

Yes I realize that, but the college I went to was strictly for preparation to the ministery, so the people that went there with the intention of entering into fulltime ministry should have taken it more seriously then I found them to be. The majors were very limited to ministry. I know the responses that I will receive from this, but to enter into a minstry to serve The Lord is a more serious endeavor then becoming a lawyer. Let the criticism begin!!!! I went to a very private secluded Fundamentalist college. :saint: :praying:

8. Nate7

Nate7 New Member

Sorry for sp. was in hurry.

9. Nate7

Nate7 New Member

You tend to have more meaningful friendships with fellow Christians(true ones) then with those who do not know the Lord.- This is true!:thumbs:

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is that no Christian college can prepare anyone for ministry unless ministry is being done among people in the real world.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I was just making an observation that you make lifelong friends where ever you are.

I also believe that Christians called into any arena can be equally serious about their service. Whatever we do, we should do well for the kingdom of God. Do we not want committed Christians in the secular world ministering and witnessing? Do you as a minister not want those same committed men and women serving in your church faithfully as deacons and teachers?

That student who is committed to the Lord who is also learning to become a lawyer or doctor or teacher has to divide his or her time in a different way. He/she has to continue his biblical studies on his own in the evenings on the weekends as he learns the craft that God has called him to. Being a minister is a very high calling to be sure, but God has a purpose for other callings too - perhaps in an equally serious endeaver.

12. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

Let's not get confused...

Let's not confuse Moses' 80 years of preparation for service
    with the 40 years of service to his higher calling...

He was faithful in simple things so God made him ruler over many.

Seems like even a simple call for prayer to our "Christian" Colleges could not even
    be made without the chips falling off of everyone's shoulders... tisk, tisk...

That same principle of preparation through a "Christian" College before being "proven" as it were in the "real world" that we are supposed to be in but not "of".. alas.

Next, somebody will be telling us how if you really want to be prepared better to serve the Lord you should go to Liberal Seminaries instead of Fundamental ones...
    They are the "Theological 'real world'" after all ... lol...

Or perhaps no need to go to "christian" college with a Christian philosophy of Education... you should just go to the secular universities with Campus groups of Christians and that would be so much better...

What makes a "Christian" college a better consideration for a Christian is obvious... Let the exceptions to the rule commence, but self-evident, is self-evident.

But, in that vein... I would encourage all to continue to pray for our "Christian" Colleges as they are not all "christian"...

God bless. Will anyone else hear the call to prayer (or quibble some more?)

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely. When we serve the master we are not a link in a chain but are living out God's highest calling for us.

Two years ago I took some students to a competition and the Christians in the van started sharing their faith with the others who were not.

A few years ago I did some work for a doctor on his home and I was able to witness to almost everyone who came on the job. I traced it back to one thing. The owners lived the Christian life and the workers saw them as different.

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Apreacher4Him - Why do you think that we aren't praying for Christian education? I pray for Christian education daily! I am intimately involved in Christian education.

But we are having a conversation that is only limited by the direction it takes . . .

#54 mcdirector, Jun 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I could not have gone to a Christian college if I had wanted to. There is not one which has my major.

However, if it so obvious then why is the church growing the fastest where there is the most opposition and the least number of Christian colleges?

16. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

OK, I'll bite. What was your major?

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Industrial Technology

18. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

I see your conundrum. Liberty is starting up a school of engineering this fall that already has a research unit. But with a specialized field like that I see why there was a challenge.

19. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

Please forgive me...

Please forgive me..

I stated that I would not post here again... if my continued posts are objected to I will cease...

But, as I illustrated above "stronger opposition" argument only goes so far...

Illustratively, a liberal seminary or a secular college would provide more opposition, but not, simply the better preparation...

You don't go to the world to be best trained and equiped to serve the Church of God or to reach the lost. . . self-evidently less equiping is done...

But, the hearts of men are foolish... I am foolish... If I consistently lived up to 5% of the Bible knowledge I have I would still be married... Not that I am so smart, but that the Bible is so true and powerful ... see the catch is you can't faithfully live consistently according to the 5% you know without being led to obey the other 95%... greater light equals greater responsibility...

And in a "Christian" College with a Christian Philosophy of Education you are given greater light... The "fear of God" is inculcated by every knowledge of God that they glean through the teaching and example of the Word that they see in their instruction, student body, professors, presidents, etc.

"opposition" is also prevelent anywhere... for we wrestle not against "flesh and blood"... but against principalities and powers... the wash outs of a "Christian" college are wash outs not because they did not go to a bar to witness, but because they did not learn to be led by the Spirit of God...

But, as for me and my house because of the vast differences in philosophy of Education one that practices and teaches the "Fear of the Lord" and the other which does none of the sort, I must encourage the Christian young people in my Church to reject the idea of the State Colleges and if they have been well equiped to ask why they are not considering what (not if) their ministry will be?

No, not all will be called into "full-time" service, but if a young man has been trained up his entire life in the Church of God, how can we "reach the world" if they are content to make their life endeavor toward an activity that lays less up in Heaven and more up on earth...?

My second call to prayer is not only for Christian institutions to be strengthened,
    but that God would send forth laborers into his harvest which is more than white!

God bless...

In Sincerity and Truth,

Michael Wright

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The facts demonstrate clearly that once a person becomes a pastor his contact with non-Christians goes to about 1/2 of what he had before becoming a pastor. When I quite being a pastor I met with 20 people each week in Bible study in which they had to spend between 3 to 7 hours each week in preparation. Never once since pastoring have I had to deal with antagoinists in the church whose sole aim is to shipwreck the church and make it what they wanted instead of working to make it what God wanted. The other fact is that the church is growing the greatest and doing the best where there is the most adversity. There are places on this earth where a pastor or typical missionary cannot enter.

Take a look at Jesus and see how many churches he pastored as a full time pastor. Yet how many people did he reach with the gospel?

Just because someone works a regular job may actually mean that the person reaches more people. I spent several years in a church where one of the men had reached hundreds of people. Since the church began in 1938 did any pastor reach as many people as he did. He spent time reaching people rather than dealing with politics and antagonists causing trouble. Hs attitude was that life was too short and that he did not have time dealing with those kind of people. He spent his time helping people who wanted help.

When I was in college I developed a team of about 65 men that I started from scratch by starting with prayer alone. That team of men had a profound effect on that college campus. When I quit pastoring I prayed that God would give me people to work with who wanted to grow. Within six months he gave me 20 people that I met with each week.

Reaching people is a God thing not just a humanistic effort. I see nothing is the Bible that says reaching people starts with a pastor but rather prayer and boldness.