1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Immense Throat Trouble

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by FBCPastorsWife, Feb 1, 2005.

1. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Pastors, preachers and anyone that does a lot of public speaking...what do you do for throat trouble. My dh is having persistent throat trouble while he is preaching. He got a bottle of "The Entertainer's Secret" but it is not helping. Is there anything he can do to pamper his throat before preaching?

Any help you can give me would be very appreciated!!

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From a choir director's perspective:

Hot tea and lemon! Or a little honey.

I have also found that sage tea is very good. I use a blackberry/sage blend from Republic of Tea that is very good.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Our new pastor has had throat problems since moving here in Oct. I think he's having to adjust to the pine trees, etc. Water during the sermon doesn't help.

4. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

For two and one-half years I experienced hoarseness which got worse as time progressed. One doctor concluded that it was caused by an irritated esophagus which had been damaged by acid reflux. Put me on Nexium. That helped my mild reflux problem, but the hoarseness continued to get worse. At times my voice would be crystal-clear, but only for a day or less. Oddly, it would normally clear up once I had been preaching for about 5 minutes. I had difficulty in getting enough air to talk.

Finally, in Nov. of last year, a doctor found a growth on my vocal folds that was the culprit. He removed it. It was benign, thank God. I was out of the pulpit for about a month and did no prolonged speaking during my recovery. My voice is very clear now...at least 90% of the time. The doctor told me that I might have some small amount of hoarseness for the first 90 days following the surgery, but it should clear up.

FBCPastorsWife, maybe my story is something you will want to share with your husband. Don't let the problem escalate the way I did. In the words of one of my heroes, "Nip it in the bud!"

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

I had a terrible time with my throat a few years back. It finally took surgery to correct the problem. Does he need to see a Doctor? Is there an infection that needs to be treated?

Assuming you are seeking medical advice if required. . . Hot tea with lemon or honey felt great while I was drinking it, but once I finished the cup my throat usually felt worse. Gargling with hot salt water (very salty, but no warmer than hot tap water) on the other hand felt terrible until I was done and then once I stopped I usually felt better for at least an hour. I would mix up about 24 oz of hot salt water, gargle until I was about to gag, spit it out and then take another gulp. It would take 5 min or so to do the whole glass. O.K., that's pretty gross, but it worked for me.

6. FBCPastorsWife

Thank you all for your advice. I have oftened wondered if this is a problem that a doctor should be seen about. His tonsils are huge even when they are not inflamed. There is very limited space between them and I can't even see the back of his throat. Unfortunately, we don't have the money for him to go to the doc. All our money goes for my doctor bills. It's crazy!!! He has tried so many things for his throat that I'm afraid nothing will work. I just hope he doesn't damage his throat while he is preaching. He is quite the stomp 'n snorter!! [​IMG]

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I heard a lecture on this very subject by Dr. Stephen Olford. I will have to look in my notes for his exact advice. But I do recall 2 things he said that helped him greatly and that he recommends to all speakers/pastors/etc. 1. Learn and practice speaking from the diaphram, instead of straining the vocal chords. 2. Suck on a halls cough drop right before speaking to lubricate the vocal chords. He testifed that these 2 things helped keep his voice and preaching strong for all his years of ministry and since he was I believe 85 during the time of this lecture, I think he speaks from some authority.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use a little vial of a special herbal formula that soothes and feeds the throat. 10 pack is about $25 and I used half between SS/Church and the other half after the service (before anyone got to the door to shake hands!).

This is a unique all-natural supplement that soothes and revives a dry scratchy throat. It contains an extraordinary blend of concentrated herbs including licorice, peppermint and cloves, all traditionally used to aid digestion, sooth the stomach and freshen the breath.

Worth its weight in gold. And as always, I hate to "plug" the wife's clinic, but this worked for me. Email [email protected] if interested in more details.

9. FBCPastorsWife

Thanks Dr. Bob...I will forward this info to my husband! [​IMG]

10. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

stop screaming at the deacons??? j/k Professional singers use lemon juice, or very tart lemonade to help keep their throats loose for performances, try that.