1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Immersion and Membership

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Debby in Philly, May 4, 2007.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, I was being "US-centric." I haven't read all six pages, but one must draw a line somewhere. We can't talk about all cultures everywhere at one time. I only assumed that you were speaking of the churches in the U.S. Nothing, to my knowledge was said about churches elsewhere. You can't apply what all the principles applicalbe to ecclesiology in America to the same churches in China and other nations. Why? The laws of the nation are different. Inasmuch as we have to work within a Biblical framework, we also have to work within a legal or governmental framework. It is God that has ordained government. Most Americans take their freedoms for granted--freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, etc. Many nations don't have such freedoms.
    In Singapore if you spit on the sidewalk, you will be fined.
    Also in Singapore the J.W.'s were arrested for handing out tracts.
    If you are accused of using the name of Mohammed in any derogatory way in Pakistan and be found guilty you may suffer either a life sentence or the death penalty.
    In Saudia Arabia, Bible Studies are banned, and in both Egypt and in Saudia Arabia great care must be taken with the type of clothing that a woman wears.

Adoniram Judson spent a great portion of his life in the jails of Burma, but yet accomplished more than most other missionaries ever will in their lifetime.

So, yes I was discussing church issues in America. To get into cross cultural issues is another ball game.