1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Implication of "shortly"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by gb93433, Jul 12, 2010.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I assume that both Peter and John are no longer alive. So what does shortly mean in the following verses?

2 Peter 1:13-14, “13 I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder, 14 knowing that the laying aside of my earthly dwelling is imminent, as also our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.”

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John,

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul used it to talk about coming for a visit. Timothy, etc. "Shortly" in that Greek word (tacheo) means "speedily" or "quickly". I trust in the Lord that I also will come QUICKLY. Again no time element implied or inferred.

John used it to talk about the events of Revelation/Return of Jesus. "Shortly" in that Greek word ("en") means "first of all" " . . to show to His servants the things which must FIRST OF ALL be accompolished." Nada to do with "time" (like a day, week, year, 1000 years)

Barnabas used it to talk about his visit with Timothy to the believers. "Shortly" in that Greek word (tachion) is the comparative "more" quickly. "Understand that our brother Timothy is out of prison and, if he arrives SOON ENOUGH, we will see you together"

Taking a vague word and trying to tie it to something precise is folly. Like me saying that I will post again "in a while". Is that 5 minutes? 5 days? 5 weeks? 5 years? Yes. It is a "while". No "clock" on the matter.

Jesus IS coming "soon", but 20,000 years from now people may still be saying that (and looking at us in 2010 as the "early church fathers!!")

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. The "while" is up and not even 5 minutes!!