1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Important Reminder: ALWAYS...

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by HeDied4U, Jul 10, 2005.

1. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...back-up your important files often!!!!!!!

This is a piece of advice I wish I had followed. I picked up a nasty, nasty virus a couple of weeks ago, and the only way to get rid of it was to have a total system restore done on my computer. Needless to say, when that happened I lost everything I had stored on the hard drive.

I lost a lot of important information, pictures, and files that are gone for good. Well, maybe I shouldn't say gone for good seeing that I did have a back-up CD.....dated January 10th of this year. So basically I still have some information, but nothing current; and the current stuff was most important to me.

From now on I'll be doing a back-up about once a week. I'm not going to let this happen again should I pick up a bug. A costly lesson learned, but a lesson learned nonetheless.

God Bless!!

Adam [​IMG]

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Buuuuuummmmer! My wife picked up something about a year ago, I heard her drive running when she wasn't there and turned to see a blue screen with some swearing on it and then blank and that was all it took. Wouldn't even boot. She now backs up monthly.

I have a removeable hard drive that I can shut off and a usb drive. I back up to them every now and then and do a cd of the major stuff every six months or so.

I became a believer in frequent backup years ago, was working on a big lesson, had been working on it for several hours and was so into it I had forgotten to backup. Someone working in the building couldn't figure out what breaker to shut off to work on a project so just hit the main breaker and I sank into my chair about to the floor :(

3. Pete

Pete New Member

Backing up right now...When I turned this idiot box on tonight it greeted me with message:

Wouldn't mind so much if that main drive wasn't only a month or two old :mad: :eek: Better get back to saving stuff before smoke starts coming out of the bok :eek: :D

4. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should still be in warranty at least! Bummer at least!

5. Pete

Pete New Member

Oops, typo, bok = box....or back....or maybe back of the box.... :D Whatever [​IMG] It's still running so far [​IMG] Just burnt up a dvd of junk I don't want to lose, maybe burn another one tomorrow night then take it to computer hospital [​IMG]

exscentric, yep, she is under warranty [​IMG] I don't think there's a sigh of relief graemlin, so I'll just go with.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That helps a little, but what a pain.

I had a similar problem couple years ago and was in the middle of backing up to a second drive when the second drive died completely. I was able to stick in a third drive and back up the important stuff so came out on top.

Prior to that I had never lost a drive nor since ?? guess I got it all out of the way at once [​IMG]