1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Imprecatory Prayers - Your View?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry,but Psalm 55 is still Gods word too and David was pretty blunt in his petition.

2. Freedom

Freedom New Member

I'll take Jesus' commandments over the statements of David any time.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sorry, because in I Tim. 2, God is very clear about the attitudes of Christians that are good and acceptable in His sight.

What you are proposing is clearly contrary to what is taught of Christians.

peace to you:praying:

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's Word is not in conflict.

We can understand them both in the contexts they were written and learn valuable truths.

peace to you:praying:

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree! David's words are from God and expressed God's judgment. The words in 1 and 2 Tim are also God's word on how we are to act towards others in certain contexts. Both are from God.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If you and everyone you know was for the war in Iraq, why didnt you join up and go help the cause. My guess is you never lifted one finger in service to this nation, nor do you have a clue what price really comes with freedom.

Given that, if you are for the war, you must have been for the inept way it was run, as we have been there longer than WW2. If something is so important to sacrifice American lives, then the idea is to fight to win, win quickly, and exit. You talked about the other poster of not understanding the passage, but you do not understand the issue.

Maybe if you had to sacrifice something close to you for freedom, you would be very careful about throwing around words about war. Maybe you would consider whether or not it was really in the interests of this country to spill American blood. Listen you whimpering cry baby, war is not a video game for your entertainment, it is a matter of life and death.

7. Freedom

Freedom New Member

God's word is an accurate portrayal of what really happened. Many call it inerrant. Correct? So the Bible describes David's life and his relationship to God accurately. It also describes the words of Jesus accurately, right. But that doesn't make something David said as important as something that Jesus said does it? If they both were standing here today, who would you listen to most intently? I'd be very careful to hear and understand the words of my Lord. Yes, the Bible teaches us through the life of David. But that doesn't make him the Son of God and his life isn't as important as the life of Jesus.

8. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I believe all scripture is God breathed and should all be taken in account.

#88 Jedi Knight, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2009
  9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Compare
    [FONT=&quot]Mark 2:4 Being unable to get to Him because of the crowd, they removed the roof above Him; and when they had dug an opening, they let down the pallet on which the paralytic was lying.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Luke 5:19 But not finding any way to bring him in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down through the tiles with his stretcher, into the middle of the crowd, in front of Jesus. [/FONT]

10. Freedom

Freedom New Member

I believe all scripture should be taken into account as well. I simply believe that the words of Jesus (or God) are the most important part of the Bible.

11. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Well do you believe that all the bible is of Jesus? He is the author........ is he not?:jesus: BTW if you have a red letter bible it should not be mistaken as the only words"in red" of Jesus.

#91 Jedi Knight, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2009
  12. Freedom

Freedom New Member

Did Jesus make up the stories about all the other Biblical characters? No. I believe that they actually happened. Do you? Do you accept the Bible as truth? If you do, then everyone in the Bible other than a member of the Trinity is merely a man (or a woman). Humans make mistakes. Would you have us follow Peter's example when he denied Christ three times? I wouldn't. I stand on my statement that the words of Jesus or God the Father are far more important than the other statements in the Bible. BTW, Jesus did NOT write the Bible. The original was written by His deciples and followers but many times passed by word of mouth until finally we got a written version. It was inspired of God but it wasn't written by God.

Here's an example of what I'm saying. Is one of the following passages of scripture more significant to you or not?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gen 4:18 And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.
    Gen 4:19 And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one [was] Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
    Gen 4:20 And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and [of such as have] cattle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe these passages are of equal importance please tell me why.

13. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

14. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. I believe its the whole book.

15. Freedom

Freedom New Member

I am rightly dividing the word of truth. Somebody begets somebody is important to the history of the Jewish people but John 3:16 is central to my faith.

16. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Only because it came thru the Jews first.