1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In Christ

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Amy.G, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

you are kidding right?

All that they could find does not mean all the people in the world. Would you not say that there were others that they did not find?

You really do need to study Calvinism, because you keep saying things that are in left field.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

You missed the entire point. They attempted to bring in every possible person they could find. No one was exempted or excluded from this invitation. This is showing salvation is offered to all persons, not just a select few.

So, ALL were called (that is, that they could possibly find), but at the end of the parable they are referred to as the "many".

#102 Winman, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It's not a "who" that's tried in the fire. It's the gold.
    What does poor, blind and naked mean?

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, you need to lay off Calvinism and the teachings of men and study the Bible.

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

ALL that were found, is what the text says. That is not all of the world.

What you are trying to do is prove your view of the doctrine of salvation based on this parable. There are so many things I could point out I don't know where to start.

Lets work through this if you want to stick with your story.

Who are the ones 1st "bidden to the wedding"?

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

How do you know that I study men?

How can you debate Calvinism, if you don't know what it is?

You come in here thinking you are going to fix those stupid man following Calvin loving sinners and you post things that SHOW you have not a clue what Calvinism is.

Why not ask me what I believe and stop telling me

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am interested in answering you, but I need to get off the computer.

The first ones called were the Jews. Jesus offered salvation first to the Jews.

Later the gospel was offered to the Gentiles.

And that is what that parable clearly shows.

And you still miss the point. Salvation is offered to all. When Jesus commanded his apostles and disciples (and us) to go into the world and preach the gospel to every creature, that is just what it means. No one man can possibly reach every person in the world. But we are to tell everyone we can find.

I might be back tomorrow.

Good night.

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Amy,

Here is a tip that will help you understand the letters..

"I know thy works"....

it says it each time to each church. What do you think that means? I'm sure you know, so now reread each letter and you will understand the meaning.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So here "all" does not mean each and every.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above is a typical retort from an Arminian.

We study the Bible. But we also read the writinngs of godly men of the past who were more knowledgeable than we are.

"Laying off Calvinism" is in effect laying off the teachings of the Bible.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman: Do you admit that there have been multiplied millions over the centuries before and after the earthly ministry of Christ who have never heard of Him or His Gospel?

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

James has a very different take on this verse than most people, including many other Calvinists though it is not his alone. That is niether for or against him, just a fact he views it differntly than the norm. I have spoken on this same passage with him before about it regarding the 'church at' but that the 'assembly there' is filled with the unsaved and apparently very few saved (which is why it is still called a church by Jesus). And speaking to this church body on the whole, He rebukes them for now looking to their works as the means of salvation.

This is why we see Jesus on the outside and not already on the inside as He is with believers. He is knocking, awaiting to be allowed admittance.

But as I said it is James view and held by others as well but many others do not.

13. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Do you admit that only 8 people were left in the whole world after the flood,

and man has fell away from the "knowledge of God" that came off the ark with them???

Ge 10:1 Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.

2 The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.

Eze 38:2 Son of man, set thy face against Gog, the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him,

Mt 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

God judges the "heart", and to whom little is given, little is expected,

I wouldn't try to set myself up as judge of these people, somethings are best left to God.

14. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Mr 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature:

Let's start here.

Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

1Jo 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Ro 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is ....... not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

In dying for the sins of the whole world, Jesus blotted out the law for the sins of the whole world, that the whole world "MIGHT BE" saved,

A "Free gift" from a God not willing to condemn the world or any to perish.

This law of "death for sin" (wages of sin) Jesus blotted it "OUT", taking it "AWAY", for the sins of the "WHOLE WORLD" that the whole world, "MIGHT BE" saved,

There was no "LIMIT" on Jesus's "Atonement" for the sins of "ANY PERSON".

Ro 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Mt 10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Mr 8:34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

Ro 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed,

Ro 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God.

Mr 10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

Mt 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Mt 22:3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.

Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

Mt 22:8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.

9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.

De 32:21 They have moved me to jealousy with that which is not God; they have provoked me to anger with their vanities: and I will move them to jealousy with those which are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.

Ro 10:19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.

Ro 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Isa 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

Isa 42:6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

#114 Me4Him, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
  15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Rippon, I am neither arminian or calvinist.

But if one put a gun to my head and said to choose, I would probably come down on as supporting 4.5 of the 5 point side.

Also, this is a general post and not aimed at you or anyone else in particular.

IMO, the problem with "calvinism" (so called) is with the behavior of calvinist and non-calvinists alike so I try to avoid these debates especially when the opposing brethren start denigrating each other's spirituality.

My view, which I believe is scriptural, is that God calls all:

Acts 17:30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent.​

We therefore should preach the Gospel to all men (and probably most calvinists agree).​

However, most preached to (so far) won't come and many/most who do appear to come are not the real thing (or so it appears when one looks at "Chistendom" as a whole). This in support of the parable of the wheat and the tares.​

So, my point: let's just preach the Gospel to "all men everywhere" and let God sort out the results.

Matthew 13
    47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
    48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.
    49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just.​

Another point:
    The test of a true child of God is two-fold. Both doctrine and behavior are brought into question (when it is necessary).​

Doctrine:
    2 John 1
    7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
    8 Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward.
    9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
    10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:​

Behavior:
    1 john 2
    10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.
    11 But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.​

Not that you or any here on the BB debating forums qualify, but sometimes it appears that our behavior is lacking when our debating turns ugly.​

I know these differences are important issues. Too bad they can become so devisive. ​

Personally and FWIW, I have seen the fruit of the Spirit and fellowshipped with both arminian and calvinist believers alike as we probably all have experienced.​

Blessings to all.​

In Christ
    HankD​

#115 HankD, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  16. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Winman

Explain Matthew 22:14 from the following passage. I present the entire chapter so you won't quibble about context.

Matthew 22:1-14
    1. And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,
    2. The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,
    3. And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.
    4. Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.
    5. But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
    6. And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.
    7. But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
    8. Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
    9. Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
    10. So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
    11. And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
    12. And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
    13. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    14. For many are called, but few are chosen.

17. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

Those clothed in Christ are chosen. In other words, believers. It is called Christocentric, conditional corporate election.

#117 BaptistBob, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
  18. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

Because you keep quoting them.

19. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You really did not answer the question! There was something in the passage about "many are called".

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes. Many are called. I don't understand what it is you're asking.