1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured In Defence of the Puritans by Martin Brow

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi JonC, referring to "shallow decisionism based on the old man-centred tenets of Arminianism" does address soterogy. This thread is simply a Trojan horse, bringing forbidden doctrine into this forum.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes..

I just learned of that yesterday after I listened to his four conference messages on Hosea.....another friend told me of it in discussing those messages

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problems I have with Puritanism are related to how it worked out in Massachusetts Bay Colony.
    • The treatment of Baptists as in the Obadiah Holmes incident.
    • The Half-Way Covenant of 1662 which allowed unsaved church membership. This allowed a hundred or so years later the birth and growth of Unitarianism. Which killed Harvard and Yale Divinity Schools.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Puritan liberty of conscience meant, “The right and liberty to think as they did, but no toleration to those who differed.” The Puritans of New England as soon as ever a Baptist made his appearance among them, persecuted him with as little compunction as the Episcopalians had the Puritans! No sooner was there a Baptist, than he was hunted up, and brought before his own Christian brethren! Mark you, he was brought up for fine, for imprisonment,confiscation, and banishment" —Charles Spurgeon, "Fire! Fire! Fire!"

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon's last word on the Puritans:

"The Sabbath in Puritan New England, by Alice Morse Earle, probably contains the last inscription written by the Pastor, and a very expressive one it is :— "An amusing but saddening book. The seamy side of New England religion exposed. . .— C. H. Spurgeon, Dec, 1891." —Spurgeon's Autobiography

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I mentioned persecutions against Baptists I had Homes in mind, although they were more known here for their persecutions against Quakers. Puritan religious toleration typically never extended beyond Anglican faith. But looking at a broader picture, theocracy has always been problematic when instituted by man. Puritan theocracy was no exception.

• Agree Agree x 1