1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In Isaiah chapter 54 vs 7&8

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tim71, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could Someone please explain to me what these versus in Isaiah 54: 7&8. It looks like God turned his back on the Church for a short moment. Is this unfulfilled prophecy? Or has it been fulfilled? And if it has been fulfilled when was it fulfilled? Thank you very much

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds to me that it was fulfilled with the Baylonian captivity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that the themes of Isaiah 54 are, like Chapters 53 & 55, Gospel themes. The promises are Gospel promises and the barren woman of v.1 is Sarah, whose seed, like her husband's, encompass all believers (Galatians 3:7).

God has, at various times, withdrawn blessings from the Church, but the promise here is that the Church will continue to grow and that 'in due time we shall reap if we do not lose heart' (Galatians 6:9). So the prophecy has both been fulfilled at various times and will yet be fulfilled.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Rob and Martin for your interpretations. Do you know of any good websites to research scriptures like Isaiah chapter 54?

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Tim,

Isa 54 speaks of gentile inclusion in the covenant....The OT. church is being disciplined, God preserves a remnant that along with believing gentiles form the NT.Church....
    Isaiah 54King James Version (KJV)

This is quoted by Paul in Gal 4....gentiles come in, heavenly worship is in view from the heavenly Zion and Jerusalem...is now happening...;

21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?

22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

3 For thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left; and thy seed shall inherit the Gentiles, and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.

4 Fear not; for thou shalt not be ashamed: neither be thou confounded; for thou shalt not be put to shame: for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more.

5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the Lord of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

6 For the Lord hath called thee as a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, and a wife of youth, when thou wast refused, saith thy God.

7 For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee.

8 In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer.

9 For this is as the waters of Noah unto me: for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee.

10 For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee.

11 O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires.

12 And I will make thy windows of agates, and thy gates of carbuncles, and all thy borders of pleasant stones.

13 And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children.

This is in Jn6;
    44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm away from home, and only have my Goldingay commentary on Isaiah on Logos. My hardcopy of Webb's The Message of Isaiah is at the house, but I will look through it when I get home.

• Like Like x 1