1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In Moderation....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

Moderation according to my home state is making sure your blood alcohol level does note exceed .08 percent. According to http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm I can drink 5 beers in an hour and still be legal to drive with a BAC of only .06. (I'm a big guy) Having been a VERY modest social drinker in the past, I know for a fact that if I would drink 5 beers within one hour that I would be absolutely snockered and totally unable to drive a vehicle.

With each drink taken, a person's level of responsibility drops, making them less and less able to determine if they should really be driving or not. They are incapable of determining for themselves if they should be driving or not.

Personally I'm wondering why the liberals aren't all over this... Any level of BAC is an impairment to a driver and they're just an accident waiting to happen. Think of all the lives we could save!

http://www.cdc.gov/MotorVehicleSafety/Impaired_Driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, *sniff* the alcohol is still there according to the USDA.

Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained
    alcohol added to boiling
    liquid & removed from heat 85%

alcohol flamed 75%

no heat, stored overnight 70%

baked, 25 minutes,
    alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%

baked/simmered,
    alcohol stirred into mixture:

* 15 minutes 40%

* 30 minutes 35%

* 1 hour 25%

* 1.5 hours 20%

* 2 hours 10%

* 2.5 hours 5%

I can't post the link here because it's on my other computer but it's from a very intense USDA paper where they not only checked alcohol levels but other nutrients as well.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, the issue is that scripture allows it, so it's a matter of individual liberty.
    It's inconsistent to base what scripture permits on the opinion of the nonbeliever.
    So is traffic court, so let's abolish driving, since those folks lack discernment.

#63 Johnv, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2009
  4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do love your strawmen and red herrings. But...

Try to stay on topic. That is "Moderation".

No one that I know of has questioned what scripture says.

If scripture tells us somewhere what a moderate level of alcohol is, please point it out to us. But it appears God left it up to the judgement of the individual.

I don't believe anyone is all that interested in abolishing traffic courts that deal with those who lack "discernment", many of whom are, without doubt, Christians.

So try hard to stick to the subject.

#64 carpro, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2009
  5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The straw man and red herring belongs to the one who claims that scripture forbids consumption of alcohol.
    He did. So leave it to the individual, rather than judging for the indivual.
    The subject is easy: Scripture permits the consumption of alcohol, but forbids drunkenness. Why is that so hard to understand? It is the "no alcohol at all" crowd that are finding this concept hard to understand.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you so defensive?

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

A better question might be to ask people to biblically define "drunk" or "drunenness".

#67 Allan, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two sides of the same coin.

Moderation/drunkenness

The Bible defines neither.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The Bible doesn't need to define them. Scripture isn't a dictionary. Common sense dictates what constitutes drunkenness. A reasonable person in Jesus day would have recognized drunkenness.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most people apparently have no common sense. :thumbs:
    Being a Christian doesn't seem to alleviate that problem.

But it also seems that the Bible refers to drinking "unwatered wine" as a thing to be avoided, if not outright "unclean".

That sort of sets a standard for moderation to avoid drunkenness. Plus:

Scripture makes a compelling case for total abstention...

"It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything else that will cause your brother to fall."

#70 carpro, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Right - and we must be willing to give up all meat as well as wine since both hold equal value in this verse. It does not single out wine.

Of course we are to have a right view of alcohol - the Biblical view. That it is not wrong to partake of a drink of wine or other spirits if we so choose. However, we must take absolute care in how/why/where we do so in order that our ministry is not hampered. To say that the Bible says it's wrong is a false argument. To say that it's most likely better to not drink today in our culture but it's up to the individual believer is right on.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My husband and I were talking about this subject this weekend and we both feel that the unbiblical teaching that alcohol itself is a sin has caused many problems for believers. We have liberty but because there are those who teach it's a sin, people then judge Christians on something that is not correct. We need to teach the Biblical role of alcohol in a believer's life and the truth of what Scripture says.

We had a group of college students over our house one night and one of the girls was saying that she was surprised because she saw someone from church at a graduation party drinking a beer. I asked her why she was surprised and she said "Because the Bible says that drinking is a sin!" I asked her to show me where and she couldn't, so it gave me a chance to teach her what the Bible actually says about alcohol. I taught her:

1. Scripture speaks positively of alcohol (that God provides it, produces it and tells us to purchase it).
    2. Scripture speaks negatively about drunkeness. I showed her the very strong words spoken on drunkeness.
    3. Scripture tells us we're to honor our parents and to obey the laws that are in place. In our culture, it is illegal to purchase alcohol before the age of 21, and it's illegal in our county for someone to purchase alcohol for the purpose of serving it to a minor.
    4. We have liberty to partake of alcohol when legal, but we also need to be sure that we're not doing it in such a way that will cause someone to stumble.
    5. Without knowing how much will cause us to attain drunkeness, when we do legally drink without causing someone to stumble, we must decide ahead of time what our limit is - and honestly should not be more than one drink.
    6. If ever at any time we feel we "need" a drink for our sanity, for stress, for peer pressure, for an addiction, it's time to walk away from it.

This young girl had never heard any of this and was really grateful about the teaching, as were the other young people. We had a good talk about parties and other situations where alcohol was served around them and ways to avoid the temptation. They learned much more of the "Why" than just the "what" and in doing so, I think they are better armed to be able to deal with the issue at hand. She also now knows that seeing someone who claims to be a Christian drinking a beer is not a horrible thing. If they feel that it could cause someone an issue, it's right to go to that person in private and speak to them rather than get annoyed or disgusted about it or judge them as if they're doing something wrong. This is exactly what we teach our children as well and neither of our teens have had or desires to have alcohol.

14. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I would like to know exactly how I could cause someone to stumble if I were to have a beer. What does the word "stumble" mean in this context? Should we avoid having a beer if it makes someone get all upset or does it mean that we should not partake of alcohol if it would cause someone to sin? Or does it mean both.

15. Carico

Carico New Member

I only drink wine occasionally for my stomach. But I don't like the feeling of dizziness because it conflicts with the Holy Spirit in me. So I'd much rather feel the joys of the Spirit than dizziness and inebriation. :)

16. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

Erm... are you kidding? If we're commanded not to 'upset' anyone, then we could never tell anyone about what's going to happen to them if they refuse Christ. It's about 'sin', not about 'feelings'.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Agreed, it's about 'sin', not about 'feelings'. To the OP, if one chooses to consume alcohol, simply do so in a manner that does not cause a person to sin. I don't consume alcohol very often, but when I do, it's not in a manner that would cause a reasobale person to sin.

18. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

Sorry to dredge this old topic back up... but I came across Proverbs 20:1 in my reading today.

I read this as wine (or strong drink) is intoxicating and arouses brawling and is contrary to wise living. (from the notes of my Thomas Nelson KJV SB).

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Read the entire passage, not just a particular verse. It's a proverb, not a commmand. It's telling us that the person who allows himself to be led astray by consuming the drink is a fool. It is not saying the drink itself is a sin.

Considering that Jesus consumed wine regularly at every sabbath, and every meal, and even turned water into wine at a wedding, and considering that there are verses that praise wine, invite people to drink it with a merry heart, and that wine makes the hart of men glad, it's clear that scripture does not condemn the siple act of consuming alcohol, and, in some passages, encourages it.

20. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

I did read the entire passage, Johnv... I agree that it's a PROVERB... hence the book... PROVERBS. I don't see how it can get any more clear than what the text states, but I know you're not going to agree with me no matter what, you just want your liberalistic view of the scriptures to stand. Feel free, but as for me, I'll take His word literally in this instance.

Instead of just throwing out the 'read the entire passage' arguement, which absolutely does NOT hold water here, (from all the notes on the passage that I can find and what I can discern) please limit your arguements to rational thoughts and back them up with scripture.