1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In Moderation....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Then if you're in the company of those whose likelihood of stumbling is resonably predicated on your consuming a glass of wine, then refrain. If you're not in such company, then you're free to consume the glass of wine.

Same with anything else. For example, if you're in the presence of a person fighting with overeating, it's unwise to eat a doughnut in front of them, since it's likely to cause them to stumble. But if they're not around, feel free to have a doughnut.

Again, why a reasonable Christian cannot apply discernment in situations like these is beyond me.

2. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

But then again, if I have an associate that is unsaved, that has witnessed me drinking in some form and this causes them to stumble (become anti christian) for some reason... just not worth the risk.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If that's the way you feel, then don't drink around an unsaved person. But don't insist that all other Christian abide by your conviction on the matter.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you are 25% drunk, you are not drunk. If eating 4 cheeseburgers is gluttony for you, does eating one make you 25% glutton?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If I remember correctly, lack of sleep can put a person in a state more dangerous than being drunk - or just as dangerous. It affects the body in much the same way as far as reflexes and such. However, we don't see lack of sleep as being sinful but if we drive that way and kill someone, are we just as guilty?

And who's to say 25% drunkeness or whatever? The Bible says that wine gladddens the heart. That speaks to me of being slightly affected by alcohol so I do not see that as being a sin (is it 10%? I don't know) but drunkenness is. One glass of alcohol will not drunkeness make since the Bible speaks of partaking. If one glass was wrong, then it would tell us that ALL drinking is wrong. But instead it tells us drunkeness is wrong.

6. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

The problem you're going to run into with this arguement, TGG, is that JohnV is going to say that his drinking is NOT a detriment to others no matter how long you argue about it.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What is so difficult with you folks understand that scripture permits it, and even encourages it in several verses?

ANd no, TW, the simple act of consuming alcohol is not in and of itself a detriment. If you're in a situation where it is a detriment to someone, then don't do it. If you're not in such a situation, then you're permitted to consume it.

8. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Actually it's not a conviction of mine. I just don't drink. Didn't before I was saved. I understand both sides of the argument.

I do feel that abstaining from alcohol is the more mature and Christlike path in my neck of the woods. I am sure that in other places it would not be the case. The majority of people here feel it is wrong for a chritian to drink, so I would not want an unsaved person to see me purchase or consume alcohol. It may cause them to use me as an excuse. Now I realize that it would just be an excuse, but I don't want to be a stumbling block.

Not insisting, just saying that there are arguments on both sides. We are way too quick to say "I'm right, you're wrong" without thinking it through.

The OP was about moderation. How much is too much. Like I said, can my alcohol level be .07 since .08 is legaly drunk in my state. BUt what if I fell that 1.0 is drunk. Can I then go to .09? The state would consider me drunk, but I would not. Maybe my church says .05? Who decides?

9. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Agree on the sleeping thing, however I do feel that driving that way would be sinful. I can also make the argument with persciption medications.

What about the priesthood of the believer? Why did God completely fobid alcohol for them when performing priestly duties? No wine when approaching God's throne. Aren't we priest? Do we not continually dwell in the presence of God?

Just thinking out loud.

10. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I am well aware of this, but thanks for letting me know.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I understand completely.
    Then by all means, refrain.
    The bible is clear. It's permissible.
    When you're drunk, it's too much. That level is different for different people. Again, I don't know why that's an issue. One person can eat a lot and not be a glutton. Another person can eat a little and be a glutton. But no one ever asks how much food is too much. Everyone knows when they're getting gluttonous. Likewise, everyone knows when they're getting drunk.

It's a nonissue.

12. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Not even a little bit drunk?

There are studies that disagree with you on this.

13. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Disagree, if it's so clear there would be no debate. I don't see anyone debating if murder is permissible
    I agree with your aruments except this one. There is no way you can state that everyone knows when they are getting drunk and actually believe it. You may, but there are many who can not.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh, that arguments over spiritual issues woudl be that easy. But in reality, the debate ceneters over peoples' inablility to discern between drinking and drunkenness. But, yes, it is biblically clear:

Jesus turned water into wine at a wedding.
    Jesus served wine at the Last Supper.
    Jesus ate food and drank wine with sinners to the point he was accused of being a glutton and drunkard.
    Scripture invites people to drink wine with a merry heart
    Scripture says wine makes the heart of men glad
    Scripture says having wine settles the stomach.

Anyone who claims that the Bible forbids alcohol consumption outright must ignore the aforementioned passages.

A person can lack discernment regarding drunkenness, gluttony, sloth, etc. Sure. If that's the case, then the person has bigger spiritual issues then whether then can have a drink or not.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you decide to follow that rule that was given to the Levitical priests, then you must follow all of the rules:

15"But the Levitical priests, the sons of Zadok, who kept the charge of my sanctuary when the people of Israel went astray from me, shall come near to me to minister to me. And they shall stand before me to offer me the fat and the blood, declares the Lord GOD. 16They shall enter my sanctuary, and they shall approach my table, to minister to me, and they shall keep my charge. 17When they enter the gates of the inner court, they shall wear linen garments. They shall have nothing of wool on them, while they minister at the gates of the inner court, and within. 18They shall have linen turbans on their heads, and linen undergarments around their waists. They shall not bind themselves with anything that causes sweat. 19And when they go out into the outer court to the people, they shall put off the garments in which they have been ministering and lay them in the holy chambers. And they shall put on other garments, lest they transmit holiness to the people with their garments. 20 They shall not shave their heads or let their locks grow long; they shall surely trim the hair of their heads. 21 No priest shall drink wine when he enters the inner court. 22 They shall not marry a widow or a divorced woman, but only virgins of the offspring of the house of Israel, or a widow who is the widow of a priest. 23 They shall teach my people the difference between the holy and the common, and show them how to distinguish between the unclean and the clean. 24 In a dispute, they shall act as judges, and they shall judge it according to my judgments. They shall keep my laws and my statutes in all my appointed feasts, and they shall keep my Sabbaths holy. 25 They shall not defile themselves by going near to a dead person. However, for father or mother, for son or daughter, for brother or unmarried sister they may defile themselves. 26 After he has become clean, they shall count seven days for him. 27And on the day that he goes into the Holy Place, into the inner court, to minister in the Holy Place, he shall offer his sin offering, declares the Lord GOD.

So in addition to not drinking wine, you must:

* only wear linen - not wool
    * wear linen turbans and undergarments
    * don't wear anything that causes you to sweat
    * don't shave your head or let your hair grow long
    * don't marry a widow or a divorced woman but only an Israelite Jew or the widow of another priest
    * do not go near anyone dead

Should we follow all of these rules too? Because we cannot pick and choose.

16. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Well aware of that. I am not promoting the following of the rule, but wondering why God made it? What is the underlying principle? Does that principle still apply today? I really don't have the answer to that but it is something to consider. Is it not?

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm still stuck on wearing linen turbans. :eek:

18. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

:laugh:..........

19. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

You know what, WD? You're right. He did. I apologize, all I could focus on was JV's point about reading the whole section of scripture, which I did. My last post was prideful.

As I said in a post quite some time back, we're going to continue to disagree on the point as I just can't see how we can be sure that we're not causing someone to stumble when we drink in public. We can never know for certain that it's not causing damage to our unseeing eyes. The only way we can know for certain is to drink alone and even then someone is going to see us purchasing the booze, which may be a stumbling block and on top of that you've got the stigma of drinking alone working against you. :)

I disagree with JohnV's interpretation of Prov. 20:1 and he obviously disagrees with mine, which is absolutely fine by me. :godisgood:

20. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

When I wear a turban, it's linen! Actually, I follow most all of those rules! LOL.