1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In Search of Truth

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, May 2, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ......I plan to entitle this book This Little Church Had None, a Church in Search of Truth because I believe that the vast majority of so-called evangelical churches and Christians have lost, or at least misplaced, this important mandate. Truth has been sacrificed on the altars of pragmatism, church growth, postmodern ideologies, paganism and hedonism, to name a few. In many cases this defection from truth is not so much by design as by ignorance and neglect. A whole generation of believers has grown up in churches in which the Word of God has not been systematically taught and appreciated. Naturally the people of this generation have marginalized the place of the Scriptures in their lives. How could we expect such Christians, Christians who have lived their lives largely outside the parameters of God’s truth, to understand the place of the centrality of the Word in their lives? After all, these very people have built large churches, funded major ministries, traveled world-wide on mission trips, showered compassion on the poor and needy and much more, all without the benefit of biblically-based lives and churches.....

More Here

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In my lifetime, pragmatism has always been a part of Southern Baptist evangelism.
    That pragmatism was aimed at getting lost people into the pews to get them under the sound of the gospel. Big-name evangelists, famous musicians, celebrity testimonies, bring-a-friend night, pack-the-pew night, high attendance Sunday, A Million More in '54.

How is today different from back then?

In my experience back in the olden days, the gospel was actually preached, even in the middle of all that pragmatism.

It was a flawed principle, but highly successful. We should not be surprised when seeker churches and others carry that principle all the way to its logical end. The logical end is that nothing is off-limits if it'll get 'em into church. I mean nothing.

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Sounds a good book, but your title could get you confused with Gary Gilley, who has already written This Little Church Went to Market (examining the trend of many churches to be "market-driven") and This Little Church Stayed at Home (which looks at the pressures for churches to leave the "home" of bible truth to follow the fads and fashions of the world). He might be planning to follow the nursery-rhyme through, and write books called This Little Church had Roast Beef, This Little Church had None, and This Little Church Cried, 'Wee wee wee! I Can't Find My Way Home!' ...... But hold on a minute! I have just followed your link, and it took me to a site that starts:
    A few years ago I wrote a book entitled This Little Church Went to Market: Is the Modern Church Reaching Out or Selling Out. There I explored in detail areas in which I believe the “seeker-sensitive” church model is missing the mark biblically, especially in regard to its gospel and doctrinal messages. That book was followed by This Little Church Stayed Home, a Faithful Church in Deceptive Times. The original intent was to identify the marks of a truly biblical church standing firm in the face of wide scale assaults by the forces of .....

Seems as though "Revmitchell" is Gary Gilley! Sorry if I have blown your cover!

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I am not gary to be sure.:laugh:

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Sorry, I wrongly assumed that the words of the OP were your own, and that you were writing a book! :laugh: