1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In South Carolina, the Thompson Surge is Working

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by leesw, Jan 12, 2008.

1. leesw

leesw Member

In South Carolina, the Thompson Surge is Working
    Thompson Sees Strong Response Following Debate Victory -- Crowds, Money and Momentum Building

COLUMBIA, SC, Jan. 12 /Christian Newswire/ -- Just days after announcing his campaign was literally moving to South Carolina, Fred Thompson is enjoying a remarkable spike in support across the state and from donors around the country.

"From contributors on the internet, to voters packing his South Carolina events, even to pundits praising his debate performance, Fred Thompson is on a roll. We see the fight in South Carolina as critical. And we see Fred in fine fighting form," declared campaign manager Bill Lacy.

Key Stats and Information:
    The campaign has raised more than $300,000 online just since Fred's dominating debate performance on Thursday night.

Fifty-six percent of all online donors since Thursday night are first-time contributors.

We have had 14,296 contributions since the Iowa Caucus with an average contribution of $98.

To date the campaign has more than 166,000 total donors and 283,000 people have signed up online as "Friends of Fred."

More than 200 volunteers from all over the country have descended on South Carolina to help get out the vote.

On the heels of Thursday's debate, Fred was endorsed by Human Events, the influential conservative publication. In addition, his debate performance has been praised by Rush Limbaugh, Bill Bennett and virtually every conservative blog and pundit.

It is no overstatement to say the campaign is being flooded with support. On Friday this week in Mt. Pleasant, the crowd at Fred's event at the Sticky Fingers Restaurant was so big the local Fire Marshall closed the doors and made some supporters wait outside to greet their candidate.
    "I have been around campaigns for a long time," said Fred's South Carolina campaign manager Dean Rice, "and you don't very often find the kind of enthusiasm we're seeing here. The morning after Fred won the debate, it seems like we really hit the accelerator."

What South Carolina voters saw in the debate was noticed by much of the news media, too. The conservative National Review declared "Winner: Thompson" and called his performance "commanding." A New York Times commentator acknowledged "Thompson is out- toughing his rivals tonight on illegal immigration."

"The entire Republican Party relies on South Carolina to test all the contenders and find the true conservative. That process is well underway. Fred Thompson is the consistent conservative in this race and he clearly enjoys talking to kindred souls in South Carolina," Lacy concluded.
    Christian Newswire

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

All this to come in second in one state? He's too little too late for me to even think he will come close to winning...

Let's see how he does on super Tuesday..

Jamie

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But the thing is Jamie , other conservative-leaning states will pay attention to what's happening in South Carolina . At this stage folks around the country are beginning to solidify their choices . The information that they glean from the South Carolina contest will be helpful .

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

While true to some degree, I don't think it will weigh in that much. Everyone wants to be "heard" and choose for themselves. I hear the opposite thing here in NH. We voted in the first primary so with your wy of thinking, people would choose Hillary and McCain. Only thing is the opposite happens because I hear all the time.. I don't want the people of NH telling me who I should vote for. Or I am glad such and such won so it's not a two person race already with only 2 of the 50 states voting...

I just don't see Fred doing well at all in the overall scheme of things. He doesn't seem to be "running" for President, he is only just "there".

I don't know... I could be wrong.

Jamie

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was emphasizing that "conservative-leaning states" could be influenced by the data they get from South Carolina ( a very conservative state ) . New Hampshire is not conservative by any standard .

And I do see Senator Thompson doing well and indeed 'running for the presidency' . Maybe you are wrong .:type:

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

What? I have lived here for 10 years and I would beg to differ....

Ok... I am just joking! I am from North Carolina and have been here for 10 years and NH does lean to the left that is for sure.

Jamie

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

"Live Free Or Die" is definately not a conservative slogan today. That would be more like "Under The Gubment's Thumb And Loving It" or maybe even "Whimper And Submit To Our Servants" yeah I like that one. :smilewinkgrin:

I still say Hillary is the elite's first choice for their north american puppet and Huckabee looks like their second choice. Either would do a fine job of sinking the USA further into their global technocratic dictatorship. Of course Thompson with his CFR backing and Obama with his Skull and Bones backing would continue to work for the global elitists as well so they can't be counted out completely.

Must be nice to own all of the (electable) horses in the race.

#7 poncho, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  8. redbelt

redbelt New Member

Could someone please tell me what Thompson DID while in the senate? What legislation did he author? What actions did he promote and verbally emphasis while a Senator?

He talks a good talk, but where is the work ethic in when he had opportunity in the Senate?

I just don't see it!

9. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

It's going to be Giuliani. He benefits from the fragmentation. Conservatives will panic once Romney wins Michigan and someone else wins South Carolina. The thinking will be: we've got to unite quick and behind someone who can win.

10. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Okay, just checked RealClearPolitics. When polls are averaged together it looks like this in South Carolina:

1) Huckabee 27.8%

2) McCain 22.5%

3) Romney 16.5%

4) Thompson 9.3%

No one bounces back from a fourth place finish (and in single digits) to win. He has to double his numbers just to finish third!

In Michigan the average of major polls looks like this:

1) Romney 26.2%

2) McCain 25.3%

3) Huckabee 16%

4) Paul 6.3%

5) Giuliani 5.7%

6) Thompson 5.3%

DEAD LAST!?! Fred is history. There's a better chance of Ron Paul being the nominee (a good thing, btw). Once Giuliani wins Florida the momentum will be his.

In short, Fred Thompson has approx. 48 hours to triple his numbers in Michigan and that will not happen.

#10 Ivon Denosovich, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Anything can happen with Diebold voting machines. Polls mean nothing our votes mean nothing when those machines can be so easily manipulated to rig elections. I wouldn't count Fred or Giuliani out just yet.

Another thing that could "swing" the election is a terrorist attack no matter how small or great. Giuliani with his PNAC backing would probably be rushed into the WH with no questions asked. Nothing unites us americans like an "outside threat whether real or promulgated" to borrow a line from Henry Kissinger.

12. MustardSeed

MustardSeed New Member

Being a Tennessee resident, I am happy to hear this news.

13. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

Any recent poll from Tennesse?

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

A straw poll that's four months old from another state? Please. :laugh:

16. leesw

leesw Member

Honestly, that's another thing about Thompson that appeals to me. I don't want the government expanded. I don't want a populist President. I want the government to do as little as possible and stay out of my life. I'd much rather have a lazy government than one who thinks they have to dream up new and sickening ways to spend my money.

17. JustPassingThru

Site Supporter

Hmmm -- that thought does have some appeal. Federal government should provide for common defense, common currency, regulation of interstate commerce -- what else?

Would you really have them stop setting public education standards, financing research projects related to medicine, protecting natural resources, providing social security, maintaining interstate highways -- anything else?