1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In the beginning God created Evil

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Greatest I am, Jun 15, 2007.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I like the quote but unless there were two prominent theologians named Ray Stedman you've got your facts wrong. The Ray Stedman I knew graduated from the Dallas Seminary but never was President. He was Pastor of the Peninsula Bible Church in Palo Alto CA for 40 years and had great insight into the scriptures. I attended his church in the mid-70's when I lived out there. I believe his Bible commentary is still on blueletterbible.com.

Ray C. Stedman
    http://www.joyofliving.org/html/authors.html#ray

Ray Stedman is the author of the commentary portions of Psalms of Faith and Psalms from the Heart, both taken from the book Psalms of Faith (Regal, out of print); Nehemiah and Job, each based on a series of his sermons; Mark (Part 1), from the book The Servant Who Rules (Discovery House); and Revelation, from the book God’s Final Word: Understanding Revelation (Discovery House).

He was a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary and a highly respected Bible expositor. While still in seminary, Ray served two summers in youth ministry at the Church of the Open Door in Los Angeles, pastored by Dr. J. Vernon McGee. Immediately following graduation from seminary, Ray traveled with the well known Bible teacher, Dr. Harry A. Ironside, who for many years was pastor of Moody Bible Church in Chicago. Ray, his wife Elaine and their family then moved to Palo Alto, California, where Ray served 40 years as pastor of the Peninsula Bible Church, before retiring in 1990.

Ray and Elaine were blessed with 4 daughters and eventually 11 grandchildren. Ray went home to be with the Lord in October 1992.

2. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

The Bible is the best road map to God.
    Jesus the best guide.
    If we cannot understand the Bible then how can we be guided by it.
    To suggest as you do that God does not make sence I will ignore as stupid and learn what God has to say. He made the Law understandable or it is not law.
    Understanding just takes effort and flexibility.

Regards
    DL

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is not the best guide - He is the only way to the Father (John 14:6). Do you know of another way?

It seems to me that, by reading many of your posts, that you are trying to cast doubt on the reliability of the Bible. Is that your point?

4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

So you're claiming that everything that you understand God does? We differ on that point. I don't think you or anyone else understand all of God's ways. It says that in the Bible. Check it out and "understand."

5. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

You'll never understand it mentally, GIAM.

Check out 1 Corinthians 2:1-16.

Instead of questioning God intellectually, get into His Word spiritually. For that, you need lots of time in prayer, surrender, humbleness.

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Somehow this didn't come out right. I was saying that we can't understand everything about God.

7. Gofwd

Gofwd New Member

IMHO someone hit the nail on the head by saying God is power and justice.
    Does God does something 'just' (as in justice) because it is the right thing to do or is everything God does 'just' because he is God? If the former then who decides? Surely not me.
    So if you can accept that everything God does is 'just', then you can answer your question by saying that it was more 'just' to allow man to fall and evil to enter the world than to kill Satan.
    Why that is more just we cannot answer -- for now. But perhaps soon...

I think it is good to seek God both intellectually and spiritually. Intellect can strengthen faith, but can never replace it.

8. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

If you cannot understand God then you cannot know in what direction to follow.
    I will pray for you. But I have spoken once with God and have some understanding of His Perfect systems. Here is where we are to learn, not after death. The dead know nothing according to the Bible. Wait for enlightenment at your own peril.

Regards
    DL

9. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

The Bible is the greatest book that we have.
    Understanding it will lead us to God.
    I would need you to define reliable.

Regards
    DL

10. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

What of His ways do you not understand, perhaps some here can help you.
    Lack of understanding on your part just means you have yet to be informed.

Regards
    DL

11. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

I have almost none of these attributes and it is not lack of these that prevented God from allowing my one contact with the Godhead when "saved".

A fierce determination to know God is what is required.
    Sitting back and saying He is not logical and cannot be understood just shows laziness of character.

Regards
    DL

12. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

Hogwash.
    God is a set of Laws. How can you follow a law that cannot be understood.

Regards
    DL

13. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

Evil did not enter the world voluntarily, Satan was cast down to us by God.
    Why, does man need evil to do the will of God. Was Eve doing the will of God when she ate of it.? The answer seems to be yes. Then man did not fall from the Garden of Eden, man jumped joyfully forward doing the will of God.
    Glory to Eve for the right choice.

Regards
    DL

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

(smiley with eyes popping and mouth wide open)

15. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Wow. I don't say this to be offensive, but I wouldn't want to be your mentor, GIAM. I've got a BUNCH of books you can read, though. You can probably get them locally or thru Amazon.com. After about 6 months with them I think you'll clear away some of the fog that's getting in the way of your walk with Christ.

Hang in there........ :wavey:

16. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

A few seconds with God is worth much more than many years of following the wrong path.
    Look at what all the books have done to fracture Christianity. More denominations than you can throw a stick at.
    I go where God takes me but thanks for the offer.

Regards
    DL

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Where did you get that?

God is love, God is light.

18. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

And how do you advise someone else on following God.

Follow that light. follow that love.

These words would be as meaningless as follow Jesus.

None of these entities are available to follow.
    Only their words are left.
    The sum of their words equals a philosophy.
    This philosophy is what we all follow.
    This is all we can follow that is why God's philosophy has to be logical.
    It must compete with all the other philosophies out there so it had better hold it's own logically.

Regards
    DL

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You persist in trying to squeeze God into your limited and finite human understanding. God is perfectly logical - He is the essence of logic and He reveals that logic in His perfect written word. You seem to prefer man's flawed humanistic logic to God's perfect logic.

The logical choice is to by faith accept His perfect logic and let God out of the little box that humanists try to create.

How does one follow the Light? How does one follow the Love? How does one follow Jesus? They put their faith in the one perfect logos instead of the corrupt human sorry excuse for logic.

You have warned several here of the danger of not understanding God as you define Him.

I am compelled to warn those who try to box God into their puny human reasoning - you do so at your own peril. God is so much more than you are allowing Him to be.

God, as revealed in His word makes perfect sense and it totally logical to those who will realise that only His logic is really logical and He reveals that logic in the living and the written logos.

#39 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  20. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

Hogwash.
    A neophyte would get absolutely nothing from anything you say.
    I get even less.

Regards
    DL