1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured In the Beginning....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Apr 21, 2013.

?
  1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Not Sure

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I believe in evolution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did God create the universe in 6-24 hr days? Or do some scientist who say Billlions upon Billions of years pull weight? Why do you believe what you believe?

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

There is one scientist, whom I respect that suggests that 6-24 hour days and billions of years that we observe today are one and the same. Dr. Gerald Schroeder (Jewish) is his name.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure why you included the response: "I believe in evolution" in the poll responses.

Evolutionary Creationists are old-earth creationists and do not agree with 6 - 24 hours days interpretion.

Rob

4. quantumfaith

Deacon,

According to the position of Dr. Schroeder they can be one and the same. I do understand that you may other "issues" with such.....as most here in BB land do. Dr. Schroeder's position is that due to issues with "relativity" that 6 24 hr days can be mathematically shown to be equivalent with the approximate 13.5 billion year old universe.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not attracted to Schroeder’s solution. True, it's unique; but its very strength is its weakness - it inserts a modern scientific theory (albeit a firmly established one) into the biblical account.

Rob

6. quantumfaith

Fair enough. :)

7. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to be an evolutionist if you hold that God created all life after "its own kind" so would be no need to evolve!

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I put "I believe in evolution" as a choice because on here it's like a box of chocolates....you never know what your gonna get. :wavey:

11. quantumfaith

I personally have no problem withe evolution being a means that God used to bring about creation. Just another nut in the box of chocolates. :)

12. quantumfaith

13. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Sailhamer would say that that Bible doesn't say one way or the other. It may have happened that way or not. He would also say that determining such is not the point of Genesis. So I cannot answer the OP definitively since my view is more of a Biblical agnostic understanding (the Bible does not say one way or another).

#13 Greektim, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

I used to believe in theistic evolution as that was the only way I could reconcile my belief in God and Genesis 1:1 with what I was being taught as FACT for 50+ years. Briefly, God was the WHO, evolution was the HOW, and Jesus was the WHY.

In a nutshell and IMO, it all boils down to one thing. Either believe in the Bible or don't believe in the Bible.

I was comfortable in the little niche that I'd created for myself. (Didn't know the term "theistic evolution" existed.) It wasn't easy to crawl out of that cozy spot when I was challenged. In school, I wasn't taught there were scientific alternative explainations to all that I was "learning" in the various 'ologies that I studied.

When I accepted the challenge from my pastor, I was determined to prove that I could stay in my right where I was comfortable being place. Finally, after all those years, search for confirmation of the scriptures began with prayer for His guidance in my studies.

Stubborn? Yes, no doubt about that. Resisted change? Again, no doubt about that either. However, as the conflicting evidence to "evolution" mounted, the walls of my niche began to crumble. Just a little, that is. Still felt secure in what I thought I knew.

That is until one day when I read the biblical explaination for the formation of oil and coal deposits. That was the day, the foundation supporting my little niche was destroyed. The natural decomposition process of living plants and animals does NOT conform to the slow accumulation account taught by evolution.

With that "discovery" came the realization that either God created all, as He said He did, or He didn't do what He said He did. There is no comfortable middle ground niche that doesn't cast doubt on His word. Either by faith we believe in His account or by our own "logic" we reject it.

"Did God create the universe in 6-24 hr days?"

Yes!

15. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day. Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. And by the seventh day God completed His work which He had done; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

Genesis 1:31 - 2:1-2 NAS77

The Good Book says He created it in six days and took the seventh day to rest. I'm good with that. I don't have to do linguistic gymnastics. I don't have to attempt to reconcile theories conjured in the mind of simple men with the clear declaration of our Creator. God's breathed out Word says He created this all in six days. That pretty much settles it whether I can wrap my mind around it or not.

16. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Greektim,
    Are you familiar with John Walton's The Lost World of Genesis 1? I find it compelling. John Walton's conclusions have results that sound similar to Sailhamer's conclusion's results. (hope that makes sense!) It allows us to be largely method agnostic regarding how God created.

17. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

That's great! I don't have a problem with you believing such... It's a big tent in here. :) Lots of people, lots of views.

18. beameup

beameup Member

For one, I understand that there is a "gap" between Genesis 1:1 and 1:3 where the earth "became void" and this is attributed to the fall of Satan.

The sun was not made until the 4th day, so a 24 hour solar cycle "day" would be impossible until vs. 16.
    The plants were created on the 3rd day (vs. 11-12). How long will plants live without sunshine?
    It must have been within a very short period of "time" that the sun was created.

#18 beameup, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  19. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I believe there is good science and there is Science Fiction......like evolution.

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still cannot see how there can be Darwinism if the Bible states that God made all creatures as species, after there own kind in his creation of them!