1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In the Name of Jesus and/or the Father Son Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Tazman, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Actually, it is a horrible argument that is created by superimposing English grammar rules on to a Greek text. Greek grammar allows for a singular noun to modify multiple singular nouns. Those who use this argument tend to deny the Trinity and are only giving evidence to their heretical beliefs.

There is no reason for us to change what Jesus gave us. Besides who are we to claim Jesus didn't mean what He said.

2. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Actually, it is a horrible argument that is created by superimposing English grammar rules on to a Greek text. Greek grammar allows for a singular noun to modify multiple singular nouns. Those who use this argument tend to deny the Trinity and are only giving evidence to their heretical beliefs.

There is no reason for us to change what Jesus gave us. Besides who are we to claim Jesus didn't mean what He said.
    </font>[/QUOTE]So are you saying the "Titles" is not the issue because of the difference in language?

3. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

What titles? There are only names.

4. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Ahhh. Okay, so when its stated the "Father" it is the Name, not title because it is capitolized?

5. atestring

atestring New Member

I could go with this, or I could go with either.
    To baptize in jesus name does not mean that you deny the Trinity.

6. standingfirminChrist

Amen, Tam!

7. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

It has nothing to do with capitalization either, it has everything to do with Jesus calling them names. Maybe I wasn't clear but I am not basing any of this off of an English translation.

Second, there is a problem with baptizing only in the name of Jesus, because you are ignoring what Jesus himself said and you are only acknowledging one person of the Trinity. People who baptize solely in the name of Jesus either do not understand scripture or deny the Trinity, but I shouldn't repeat myself.

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

This has already been addressed and I am trying to get out of the habit of repeating myself.

10. bmerr

bmerr New Member

To All,

bmerr here. The phrase, "in the name of" usually has reference to authority. For example, Jesus was asked by the Pharisees, by what name or what authority He was saying the things He was saying. Forgive the lack of book, chapter, and verse; I don't have my Bible with me.

Anyway, in my mind, to baptize in the name of, or by the authority of, Jesus Christ is to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

The Father gave all authority to the Son, Who gave authority to the apostles and prophets through the Holy Spirits' inspiriation, and their words are given to us in the Scriptures.

I think Jim made a good point about specifying which baptism the Pentecostians were to submit to, Jesus' baptism as opposed to some other.

In Christ,

bmerr