1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

In your view, when does the Judgment Seat of Christ take place?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Daniel David, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

This is just to start a dialogue regarding the Judgment Seat of Christ. Regardless of when you believe it happens, please include Scriptural references and/or theological reasons why you place it when you do.

Posts that have nothing to do with the issue will fall faster than the guillotine during the French Revolution.

2. JIMNSC

JIMNSC New Member

I believe this judgment occurs at, or shortly after the resurrection of the just.

Jesus said to the disciples…..

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Jesus was talking to the lawyers and Pharisees and telling them instead of inviting friends, kin and rich neighbors to their feasts, to invite the poor, lame, maimed and blind.

Luke 14:14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

Rewards for works

3. I believe the Judgment Seat of Christ will take place during the seven years tribulation. I believe this because the rapture takes place, then seven years tribulation takes place, then the 1000 year reign of Christ, and then the Great White Throne Judgment Seat takes place. So I believe if we will be like Christ in the 1000 year reign we will have to go through the Judgment Seat of Christ before it begins. So that is my reason why I believe it will take place in heaven during the seven year tribulation.

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jude vs 14-15 "Now Enoch the Seventh from Adam prophesied about these men also saying, Behold the Lord comes with ten thousands of his saints to execute judgement on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have commited in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.

The Saints enter into Abrahams bosom at death. or the second heaven. they are not given a Judgement because they are covered with the blood of Jesus Christ. Yet they come with Jesus Christ and participate in the Judgement given to the ungodly.

Pre-Mill or Post-Mill? both have strong arguments put forward. Not sure but I lean to Pre-Mill.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bema seat (reward for faithfulness, not judge as in condemn or punish for sin, will occur after the rapture and before the millenial reign.

No more details on exactly when/where, but certainly within that framework.

6. BrianT

BrianT New Member

The "bema" seat is indeed the "Judgment" seat. That's what the Greek word means, and that's how it's translated. Look up "Judgement seat" in other places in scripture and see how it's used: it's not a place of "rewards", although rewards can be a part. In fact, the *very next verse* says "Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences."

2 Tim 4:1 says Jesus will judge all at his *appearing* (epiphaneia) and his kingodm, and it is the appearing (epiphaneia) that destroys the antichrist (2 Thess 2:8). Connecting all this together even further, 2 Tim 4:8 says "Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing (epiphaneia)."

The judgment seat of Christ is after the trib, when Christ returns.

[ November 09, 2002, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: BrianT ]

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    2Cor 5:
    9 Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.
    10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
    11 Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade men, but we are made manifest to God; and I hope that we are made manifest also in your consciences.

In 1Cor 9 Paul states "I buffet my body and make it my slave lest after preaching the Gospel to others I myself should be disqualified".

There is NO text in all of scripture where judgment based on deeds evaluates "bad deeds" and gives the "recompense" as "eternal life".

In Rev 20 we see a judgment based on "deeds" based on things written in the books.

In Daniel 7 we see another judgment based on things written in books - and "judgment is passed in favor of the saints". Dan 7:22.

The tendency is to read-into 2Cor5 a milktoast kind of judgment where bad deeds are acceptable for the recompense of "eternal life".

Taking the context and assuming that both good and bad deeds have the recompense of "eternal life" voids the sense of the text. It is clearly contemplating a bad-outcome to be associated with "bad deeds" in making the point.

There is NO description in heaven for the saints - of a "bad outcome". The inheritance is never said to be "Bad" - and the result of a judgment of "bad deeds" is never said to be good.

In Christ,

Bob

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is still going to JUDGE me? Whoa, friend. That is NOT Bible.

Judgment - 100% - took place on the cross and I can NEVER NEVER NEVER be judged for my sins again. Done deal. Finito.

If we think of "judgment seat" as a place of "condemning" or "verdict", we are taking away the punitive work of the cross, when Jesus already was condemned and verdict passed (and, thankfully, penalty paid) on Calvary.

9. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Amen Dr. Bob

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

The judgement is reserved for those that dont know Jesus Christ. Those who genuinley accept Him as there Lord and saviour are in the book of Life.

11. wjrighter

wjrighter New Member

REV.20:11-15 and i saw a great white throne,and him that sat on it ,from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away;and there was found no place for them. and i saw the dead ,small and great,stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened,which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books,according to their works. and the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. and death and hell were cast into the lake of fire.this is the second death. and whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. i'd say more but,i like my head where it is . [​IMG]

12. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Isn't the "White Throne Judgement' of God the father...not Christ his son? That is my understanding of the judgement seat... the saved in Christ do not have to go there.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In that case - we have a huge amount of "not the Bible" found between Genesis and Revelation. Lets begin the trip.

There is probably a way to rationalize these away - but I have not heard of it.

In Christ,

Bob

[ November 25, 2002, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: BobRyan ]

14. wjrighter

wjrighter New Member

yes i agree ,Wisdomseeker ; just seeing if anybody
    noticed the "Books" & the Book of Life differance's........................

i think we'll be judged for our
    "christian" works good or bad at the judgement seat of Christ- ROM.14:10

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christ Himself says "ALL judgment has been turned over to the Son" John 5:22 and in fact even more explicit than that "For not even the FAther judges anyone but He has given ALL judgment to the Son".

There is no way to divide God the Father and God the Son such that the judgment seat is not Christ's.

Having said that - I do agree that the great white throne judgment of Rev 20 that occurs after the 1000 years only deals with those that are in the 2nd resurrection - not the first.

However the texts mentioned "WE must ALL appear before the judgment seat of Christ" and the reference to the "Bad" deeds done in the body are not meant to imply "eternal life is the recompense for bad deeds done in the body".

The list of texts are explicit - and devastating to the view that it is various levels of "partying" that is being discussed.

Read the Romans 2 reference closely and in it's context - it is the contrast between wrath and eternal life as explicitly shown in the text.

IN Christ,

Bob