1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inappropriate Handshake

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gib, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, then stop doing it. That would be my response.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Yeah Gib, I bet the gangs eat lunch too, I would advise you to stop all lunch activities asap.:rolleyes:

3. mnw

mnw New Member

If it offends a brother I would say don't do it in front of them.

It really is no big deal, but if it bother's someone that much then just give a little ground.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. In some inner-city fellowships it might be a throw back to someone's history and that may bring offence... but that seems unlikely.

It does seem the like the offended party is just a little too sensitive.

I get kids given me all kinds of hand shakes and it doesn't bother me.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:

You can say that again. I know some churches among my people the PB's who would declare non-fellowship with another on account of how the hair is combed, or parted. :laugh: :laugh:

No, just kidding.

I mean some Christians will find something wrong with everything and anything, like an innocent fist pound.

Yo, whaz crackin', ya'll.

5. gekko

gekko New Member

according to Romans 14 - that only applies to spiritual matters - having a nicer car - or different handshake - isn't spiritual.
    ---

and for the sake of (fill-in-fancy-word-such-as-'chillaxifillaxify'-to-spice-things-up)

the term "fist pound" is too politically correct for me...

up here - we "pound it brother" or "pound it sister" and if they dont we're like "hey hey - dont leave me hangin!"

its basically tradition. along with the "pound hug" ?? what is that? its more like a "thug hug" but those terms are rarely used where i live.

:D

6. PeterM

PeterM Member

This is the silliest, most pointless issue I've ever heard...

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone above a novice can see that what the individual took issue with was something that is perceived as indicative of gang social interaction. The issue with this thread isn't really the fistpound. It's self-will. Do we love our brothers and sisters in Christ enough to yield in this small, inconsequential matter?

8. mnw

mnw New Member

Amen....................

9. Gib

Gib Active Member

For the doer or the one who has to say something about anything they don't do.

10. mnw

mnw New Member

Have a competition to see who loves the most - the first to yield is more Christ-like! :)

11. Gib

Gib Active Member

Far-hardy-har :laugh:

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Ok, just to play the devil's advocate here. . . What about the college kid who came home and wanted to greet his friend Gib? What about his response when Gib refuses to shake hands in the manner that the kid has chosen because someone watching is offended? What if he's offended even with an explanation because his friend isn't receiving him in the manner he intended?

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I see your point Sis Advocate, there's a chance you can loose more young people by alianating them. Then there are the preachers, we all do the handshake hug thing especially on the pulpit. WE'd be trying to change the entire body of Christ because of one members feelings. Where is the balance in this equation?

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

That's what I was wondering as people kept saying, "Well, just don't do it if it offends someone." The problem is that in every situation there are more someones to be offended than we can ever account for.

So, to reiterate your well worded question, just where is the balance when we are cautious not to offend? Because in reality, it is really easy to offend someone.

15. mnw

mnw New Member

You just have to take each issue on its own merits.

Of course some people thrive on being offended and there is nothing you can do about them.

In the church I pastor I have an older Christian, been saved since the days of Noah and he has a very traditional take on things.

On the other end of the scale I have a 22 year old, looking to go into ministry and in some areas of practice they have very different ideas.

It is a constant balancing act. Determining what is fundamental and what is adaptable with the times. Sometimes there is no right or wrong and it comes down to what is easier to give up and what is easier to keep.

To use an old issue, ties. Now, at present, in my location, it would cause more trouble to give up wearing ties than it would to keep wearing them. However, in the not too distant future it will possibly be more trouble to keep ties rather than giving them up.

Hopefully that makes sense...

16. Gib

Gib Active Member

:tongue3: As silly as this thread is, finding someone offended by a fist pound is even sillier. I think you're right, some people thrive on being offended. They also make it their business to tell everyone just how offended they are. I think it's more about selfishness than anything.

Some issues I think would "offend":

off color jokes
    profanity
    saying negative things about people
    name calling
    being disrespectful

17. DodgeRamFanatic

DodgeRamFanatic New Member

Sweeeet, I'll have this new greeting to try out on all my pals this coming Sunday. Thanks for the ideas, guys!

Hey, Spoudazo, I agree with you. Not exactly sure whether dancing w/ your husband or someone like that is wrong, but I understand completely where you're coming from about high school proms, etc. Some people may be able to risk it and come clean, but I don't trust my emotions that much.

By the way, my folks have never let me go to a single dance in my life-time, and I'm still comparatively normal (no comments anyone :) ).

And no, sheets are not acceptable when spread across hay-bales. Good grief, how wimpy are people getting?! And they need a proper wagon-load of hay in those pictures. That's for Lilliputins! :p :cool: Come on over and visit me for training sessions. :D
    DRF

18. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Excellent quote....I see nothing inappropriate in either gesture. My son's ball team did the knuckles thing this year....no biggie.
    :thumbs: