1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inclusiveness Marks Obama's Inauguration

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/01/21/ST2009012101096.html

(Underlining added)

Keep in mind this is taking place in a supposedly Christian church. Of course, it was already sullied in '07 by the Dalai Lama's visit when they performed Tibetan Buddhist rituals and prayers/chants in the sanctuary and elsewhere in the Cathedral.

You have abandoned your people, the house of Jacob. They are full of superstitions from the East; they practice divination like the Philistines and clasp hands with pagans.
    Is. 2:6

2. Beth

Beth New Member

reminds me

Marcia, this reminds me of Belshazzar, LOL!

Daniel 5:1 ¶ Belshazzar the king made a great feast to a thousand of his lords, and drank wine before the thousand.
    2 Belshazzar, whiles he tasted the wine, commanded to bring the golden and silver vessels which his father Nebuchadnezzar had taken out of the temple which was in Jerusalem; that the king, and his princes, his wives, and his concubines, might drink therein.
    3 Then they brought the golden vessels that were taken out of the temple of the house of God which was at Jerusalem; and the king, and his princes, his wives, and his concubines, drank in them.
    4 They drank wine, and praised the gods of gold, and of silver, of brass, of iron, of wood, and of stone.
    5 In the same hour came forth fingers of a man’s hand, and wrote over against the candlestick upon the plaister of the wall of the king’s palace: and the king saw the part of the hand that wrote.

Belshazzar was quite ecumenical as well!

We need to pray for President Obama. Until he is born-again, and indwelt with God's Holy Spirit, such ecumenical gatherings will not be a problem for him. We can't treat him like he is a born again believer. If, however, there were believers participating at this gathering, they should have known better!

Beth

#2 Beth, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
  3. donnA

donnA Active Member

When he believes theres many roads to God, just pick the one that works for you, then this is no surprise.
    Can christians pray hindu and muslim prayers, to their false gods? Some here will defend it and say you can pray to anyone.
    But a prayer to a false god, is false worship.
    Christians approving it are compromising, already indoctrinated into world religious acceptance.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where was the same moral outrage when then-President Bush did the exact same thing 8 years ago? A joint trans-denominational service following his inauguration, that included various world religions

This wasn't a Baptist Church service. It was a traditional "event", choreographed and planned to show "unity". Nothing to do with the "President" - it is a showcase. Period. Always has been.

EVERY PRESIDENT does this. I'd encourage pulling in the claws OR being honest and admitting that this is no different than previous presidents.

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

It seems as if you've declared yourself to be the Judge of the quick and the dead. I thought that was Jesus' job. I questioned Bush's Christianity but I wouldn't make such a definitive statement as you have.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I was either unaware or have forgotten there was such a service at Bush's inauguration. I would be just as appalled over that - I don't care who the president is, anyway. I haven't liked any president that I can recall since I was born.

This wasn't a Baptist church service - that doesn't matter to me, either - but it was in a Christian cathedral built to honor the Lord God, not Hindu deities or the Muslim god or others. It is wrong to have such non-Christian rituals and prayers in a Christian church, even if it is the National Cathedral.

It does not matter to me if it was done before or if it's the usual thing. My remarks are not the result of "claws" - but of seeing something that offends God.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

AMEN Brother... The idea is to allow every religion to feel their god has been approached on behalf of the nation. It has nothing to do with the president believing or supporting their faith, it's acknowledging they have the freedom in this country to believe in the god of their choosing.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Huckabee would do the same if he was elected. All presidents do this.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I wasn't for Huckabee either, so what does it matter what he would have done? It's irrelevant. I don't care if every worship service for every president has Buddhist/Muslim/Hindu prayers and homages to false gods in a church built for Christ. It's wrong.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well then, let them do it in their own house of worship or in a secular building.

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm with ya, Marcia

If the inaug. was in my part of the country and the committee called and asked----"Can the Presidential Inaug. Committee secure your building for its religious service?? Will you play host??

I would kindly and respectfully decline the invitation!