1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inconsistency in the AV Translation?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prophecy of the coming Messiah in Psalm 2:9 KJV1769 revision
    Same verse in the NIV
    We'd all agree that "break them" (harm, destroy, punish like what happens when I try to do dishes!) is quite different than "rule them".

Now here's the interesting thought: Twice this verse is quoted in the NT by the Apostle John. And both times he uses the word "RULE" not "break".

Rev 2:27 KJV1769revision
    And Rev 12:5 give another quotation of Psalm 2
    Thoughts? Seems like the NT supports the translation of the NIV, not the AV.

2. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

If it´s good enough for John, it´s... [​IMG]

3. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Break: To train to obey; tame, as to break a horse. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company

4. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

The NIV contradicts the Hebrew masoretic text, while the ambiguity of the KJV translation allows the inspired (in this instance) message of the conflicting Masoretic vs. LXX and Syriac texts to shine through. Pure genius!

It's sure nice having the Word of God in my hands.

5. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

The Hebrew verb in Psa. 2:9 in the MT is "break." The Greek verb in Psa. 2:9 in the LXX is "rule." John used the Greek LXX rather than the Hebrew MT. So here we have yet another example of the divinely sanctioned use of a different version in the inspired Holy Scriptures themselves.

You're right... if it's good enough for John... [​IMG]

6. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

I agree! I fully accept this particular LXX verse inasmuch it fully agrees with John.

7. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

[​IMG]
    I do too: I have several different Translations of God's Holy Word, so I can only hold two or three in my hands simultaneously.

<taking discussion off topic briefly>
    By the way, someone asked about the Septuagint in another thread, and if anyone is interested, go to either the Books-A-Million or Barnes and Noble website, and do a search on the title. There is a very-reasonably-priced English Translation of the Septuagint that will usually be the first match on your search. You can get a copy of the Scriptures that was used when Jesus was on the Earth.

BTW, this edition includes the Apocrypha, so this will allow everyone using the 1769 Revision the opportunity to see what you're missing!!!
    <resume topic of discussion>

8. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Are you certain John quotes from the LXX? Could he be quoting from the Vorsage Hebrew text as found in the Dead Sea Scrolls?

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably just a simple error in the Massoretic Hebrew because of a later (AD1000) decision.

Most know Hebrew is just a string of consonants. There were/are no vowel pointing in any Hebrew until that era.

So the three-letter TRM can be "pointed" with tiny vowel points (to help us non-Jews to read the Hebrew language better!!) in two distinct ways.

Massoretic = Te'Ro-eM which means "smash" (not "break" like a horse, btw, but "break into pieces")

ALL other = TiR-eM which means "rule".

The LXX in 200 BCE understood TRM to be "rule".
    John in AD90 writing Revelation understood TRM or the LXX to be "rule".
    The Syriac chose TRM to be "rule".
    The Vulgate realized TRM was "rule".

So we open a NEW CAN OF WORMS - are the vowel pointing, added by Jewish scribes about AD1000, "inspired"?

No. No more than Scofield's notes or the Marginal notes in the Geneva, etc are part of the Bible.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen.

HankD

11. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

That's a good example Dr Bob!

The roots are ra'ah (rule) and ra'a (break). The "T" on the front and the "M" (TIR'EM and TRO'EM) at the end of those words are tense markers and pronoun suffixes. In Hebrew both of these verbs have "weak consonants" so they have not-normal endings - it's easy to mix up TRO'EM and TIR'EM! Just a few little dots different!

Interestingly the root concept of ra'ah here is that of a shepherd. He rules in a benevolent caring way.

Also the root concept of ra'a is something bad or evil! The verb literally means to be bad! This is not a word that describes God at all! The closely related Aramaic form re'a'a usually means to actually break something. This may explain why it was translated "break" since the next line does deal with breaking a pot into pieces! [​IMG]

12. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

Try Matthew 21:44 for the dual sense here - "broken" one way or the other - compare Daniel's stone which will "break in pieces and consume" all earthly kingdoms - not the same Hebrew, but part of the same idea in Psalm 2. "If we would judge ourselves (breaking the old rebellious nature), we would not be judged (broken)."???

Happy New Year - R. Charles Blair - Ro. 8:28

13. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

Are you certain John quotes from the LXX? Could he be quoting from the Vorsage Hebrew text as found in the Dead Sea Scrolls? </font>[/QUOTE]I based my observation on the fact that the wording of Psa. 2:9 LXX and Rev. 2:27 is identical except for John's adaptation of the verb to his context.