1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Increase the # of congressman?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In essence you are correct. In reality - not at all. The stat is somewhere of 98% re-election fro Congress. The bottom line - and I have seen this in editorials - to send a politician back to Albany or Washington, because he has Seniority in his body. Thats how you bring the bacon home. Those are the facts.
    I would suggest a consecutive three term limit for congressman - sit out one term - and you could run again.
    And most importantly -
    no retirement pay for elected office!!!

Salty

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, it sounds like you have a major hatred for our government. :)

I have no problem with retirement pay. Why punish them for being elected by their constituents?

All of this talk of cutting pay and reducing benefits will only result in the super-duper rich being the only ones able to serve. Now, I know that the vast majority of Congressmen/women are wealthy, but there are still Representatives who end up in Congress out of a less than affluent background. If you cut the pay and benefits so much, they will be unable to serve in Congress. I don't want my representatives worrying about their retirement. I want them worrying about their district's issues.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The basic pay for Congressman is 100+ thousand per year. Plus benefits, ect.
    The basic pay for NY Assembly is 80,000 per year, and thats considered a part time job.

When I ran for election, I said I would resign my secular job and devote full time to be an assemblyman. In addition I would refuse any pay raise.
    I believe we should pay our reps a living wage, but 100 grand, no - that amount is too high.
    A rep is not in there to get rich. He is too represent his constituents for a term or two and then go back home.
    George Washington had it right when he said two terms is sufficient:thumbs:

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An excellent point, Ed. :thumbs:

I used to support the arbitrary term limits idea but since we have had them on the state level in Arkansas it has not improved our state government.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Would I be correct in guessing your potential constituents imposed "term limits" on you of 'zero terms'?
    (That is one entirely proper use of "term limits", you do realize, no??)

And may I also take it you did not agree with their choice, here??

It almost sounds as if you favored "term limits" for another, but not for yourself, in this instance.

"Do as I say; and not as 'they' do!" :rolleyes:

Ed

#25 EdSutton, Dec 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

"Suppose you were an idiot...and suppose you were a member of Congress...but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I propose we decrease the number of representatives to 100 so they can do less.

I propose we make the senators representatives of the states as they were orignially so they can do less.

I propose we limit the terms of all of them to no more than four years and eliminate their lifetime benefits so they can do less.

I propose that we limit their time in the District of Columbia to not more than three months per year so they can do less.

I propose that no representative or senator can speak on the floor of Congress no more than thirty minutes nor more than thirty times per year so they can say less.

I propose we cut federal revenues and expenses to just 20% of what it is now so it can do less with less.

I propose it be illegal for the federal government to engage in any scam whereby it collects money and redistributes it to the states with strings attached that force compliance to various agendas for which we gave it no inherent power to regulate.

I propose that the volume of federal regulations be limited to not more than 100,000 words in not more than one language so it can require less.

I propose that every piece of legislation be limited to one topic only so it will cover less.

8. scripturesearcher

scripturesearcher New Member

I would support the idea of ten thousand representatives, if they were all given the same salary as the representatives of the first congress.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James Madison, 220 years ago, in Federalist Paper 55: The Total Number of the House of Representatives:

"Sixty or seventy men may be more properly trusted with a given degree of power than six or seven. But it does not follow that six or seven hundred would be proportionably a better depositary. And if we carry on the supposition to six or seven thousand, the whole reasoning ought to be reversed. The truth is, that in all cases a certain number at least seems to be necessary to secure the benefits of free consultation and discussion, and to guard against too easy a combination for improper purposes; as, on the other hand, the number ought at most to be kept within a certain limit, in order to avoid the confusion and intemperance of a multitude."

"At the expiration of twenty-five years, according to the computed rate of increase, the number of representatives will amount to two hundred, and of fifty years, to four hundred. This is a number which, I presume, will put an end to all fears arising from the smallness of the body."