1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Independent Fundamental Baptist Churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, May 7, 2006.

1. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

I am just curious, I have heard this term quite often around here. What exactly does it mean to be an Independent Fundamental Baptist?

I have been at two churchs my entire life, and both have been IFBC.

What are the requirements for a church to be IFBC?

[ May 07, 2006, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

An IFB church is Independent of other churches. There is no governing body outside of itself. That being said, most Baptist churches are very independent anyway. Other denominations tend to have governing bodies which regulate them to some degree.

IFBs are often more adamant about the independent part though. We don't go for all those associations and fellowships, fearing that we will be yoked together in some way with churches that we would disagree with over important issues.

Im still confused by the Fellowships of Independent Baptist Churches though. lol [​IMG]

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Check out the Independent Fundamental Churches of America, International (IFCA) CLICK HERE to see how a bunch of independents can have fellowship.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christianyouth, the IFB movement started in the 1920's through the 1940's. In the Northern Baptist Convention (later called the American Baptist Convention) and the Southern Baptist Convention were liberals (in this case, preachers who did not believe that Jesus was God, believed that there were mistakes in the Bible, believed in evolution, etc.) who our spiritual ancestors wanted to kick out of their conventions. Unfortunately, they failed at this, so the founders of the IFB movement left the conventions and started their own movement.

We are "independent" because the IFB leaders took their churches out of the conventions, but did not start new conventions because they saw the power the old conventions had over individual churches, the Bible colleges, etc. So that is why we are independent. So, instead of "conventions," our spiritual ancestors started "fellowships" with little or no power over individual churches.

We are "Fundamental" because the preachers in the conventions who fought against liberalism were called "Fundamentalists," since they stood against liberalism and for the most important doctrines of the Bible, called the "fundamentals of the faith."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! [​IMG]

5. christianyouth

Thanks so much John of Japan. Very informative. [​IMG]

The reason why I was asking, is the church I go to is an IFBC, yet we have contemporary music. This seems kinda odd considering most of the posts on this website by IFBS seem to be condemning contemporary.

Also, our dress standards dont seem to be so high, so it just makes me wonder, is this a TRUE IFBC?
    We use powerpoint, have comfortable chairs not pews, would we still be classified as Independent Fundamental Baptists?

BTW, do you know a IFB missionary in Japan named Dan Roberts?

6. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Very many IFB churches are now practicing what they used to abominate. I could not say that they aren't "true" IFBCs, but I'd quickly add that they aren't what true IFBCs used to be.

"And all the people said ..." :rolleyes:

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Both the IFB and the SBC churches are independent and generally conservative now. Is there any basic difference between the two other than their history and misconceptions about each other?

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IFB means this in our church:
    Independent:
    We follow the example of the New Testament churches and do not belong to any association
    or convention. We govern ourselves. We don't pay our missionary monies to any central fund; we support missionaries that we in our local church vote on, and our support goes through a clearinghouse only.

Fundamental Baptist: We believe that the Word of God is the guide for our lives, and we believe the Bible to be the total unerring Word of God. We believe in Creation, Salvation, The Rapture and the Tribulation, and the Reign of Christ for the Millenium. We believe in the triune Godhead, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and they are all one in the same. We are saved by grace and we are once saved, always saved. We believe in only two ordinances of the church as presented in the New Testament: Baptism by immersion and the Lord's Supper for believers to memorialize Christ's blood bought salvation by his death on the cross. We believe in the sanctity of life. We believe that a Christian will endeavour to walk in the newness of life and serve God by following the Great Commission.

Anyone that can add what I have forgotten?

Debbie C

10. Gayla

Gayla New Member

John and Debbie have summed it up very well.

As for using Powerpoint and contemporary music, that's the choice of any autonomous church body.

Our church bought the Celebration Hymnal Orchestrations a few years ago when we started our tiny orchestra (currently 3 players). It haas some 'newer' stuff that has stood the test of time ("I Will Call Upon the Lord", "He is Exalted") and the good old stuff like "I'll Fly Away" and "Sweet By and By".

11. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I have been in both kinds of IFB churches: some have very rigid standards of appearance such as dresses only for women, short hair for men, no contemporary music, etc. Others are more relaxed in the standards of appearance for believers. But both churches held to the Fundamentals of our Faith in doctrine.

John and Debbie: [​IMG]

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    legalistic churches, Gwen......ours is not so legalistic. Ya know, it's strictly preference on those things, Pastor's wife wears only dresses, as many women in our church choose (I grew only wearing dresses to church so it's easy for me to stick with it) and the staff wives are required to wear dresses (my daughter, for example, the youth pastor's wife) but I see women in church with pants all the time. We don't have drums when we all bring our instruments - another preference. My son got saved a few weeks ago and he is a dynamite drummer, but nope, not at our church. There is a "fellowship" here in our town that will suit him better, and they believe what we believe, so I ok with him going there.

Church is church to me...not a concert, not a party, not an exhibit of anything but worship, praise, and hopefully conviction for the lost and dying world we live in. We strive to be a Philadelphian church, not a Laodecian.

May all Baptist churches keep their candlestick lit!!! The Lord could return at any moment.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Dcorbett,

Although our preferences differ in many areas, I'm glad that your church is doing a fine job of meeting needs. God's best to you all.

Congratulations on your son's salvation.

14. drfuss

drfuss New Member

dcorbett wrutes:
    "IFB means this in our church:
    Independent:
    We follow the example of the New Testament churches and do not belong to any association
    or convention. We govern ourselves. We don't pay our missionary monies to any central fund; we support missionaries that we in our local church vote on, and our support goes through a clearinghouse only.

Fundamental Baptist: We believe that the Word of God is the guide for our lives, and we believe the Bible to be the total unerring Word of God. We believe in Creation, Salvation, The Rapture and the Tribulation, and the Reign of Christ for the Millenium. We believe in the triune Godhead, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and they are all one in the same. We are saved by grace and we are once saved, always saved. We believe in only two ordinances of the church as presented in the New Testament: Baptism by immersion and the Lord's Supper for believers to memorialize Christ's blood bought salvation by his death on the cross. We believe in the sanctity of life. We believe that a Christian will endeavour to walk in the newness of life and serve God by following the Great Commission."

Based on the above, the only basic difference from the SBC that I can see is that the IBF does not send its missionary money throught a "clearinghouse" as the SBC does througth the IMB. Am I missing something?

15. gekko

gekko New Member

i used to go to an IFB Church.

i liked it alot - cause i love the hymns (that's all they sang - with only piano)

they also said that we couldn't help out with the church if the guys didn't have slacks and collerd shirts, and if the girls didn't have a long dress...

they believed in OSAS... and some other stuff...

dont remember... but i was baptized there!

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi again, christianyouth.

My wife and I have been out of town for a couple of days celebrating our 27th anniversary and 25 years on the mission field, so I'm just now getting around to answering your post.

I'll answer your last question first. Bro. Dan Roberts is a good man, a good missionary, an old friend, and he has been with our mission board all these years! Unfortunately, we live on different islands and a long way from each other, so I rarely get to see him.

As you describe your church, it most certainly can be an IFB. What most folk on the BB don't seem to understand is that there is a wide range of IFB churches and fellowships. Among our supporting churches I have some that sound exactly like yours.

God bless! [​IMG]

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being a missionary, let me be quick to point out that the two groups do missions in very different ways.

(1) SBC missionaries are supported from a central fund, and IFB missionaries go on deputation to get monthly support from individual churches.

(2) SBC missionaries, at least in Japan, are more prone to institutionalism (though this is evidently changeing due to the recent upheavals in SBC missions), while most IFB boards concentrate on church planting--though ABWE, for one, is an IFB board that leans toward institutionalism.

I am watching the SBC right now, hoping that yes, they are heading back towards their roots, an approach to missions that is similar to us IFBs. Any comments or corrections here from SBC missionaries or pastors? [​IMG]

18. christianyouth

Thanks for the replies everyone. [​IMG]

Its good to know(since I am a true fundy at heart), That the church I now attend still qualifies as IFBC.

Gekko, you posted they believe in OSAS and some other stuff?

What exactly is OSAS? Never heard that mentioned before.

Thanks so much for your post John Of Japan, that has been really helpful! [​IMG]

I'll be praying things are going good for you over there in Japan.
    God Bless,
    Andy

19. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree. Saddly though I know many IFB churches that forget the "I" as well.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what you mean, 4His_glory. The autonomy of the local church may be the most ignored of the Baptist distinctives. :(