1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Indiana GOP Leaders Shocked Their 'Religious Freedom' Law Is Seen As Anti-Gay

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What difference does that make? He's "serving the public." Black Panthers and Nation of Islam are taught to hate white people, so can a white businessman refuse to serve one who, through clothing, medallions or other, identifies as one of them?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, what's sinful about a barmitzvah?

Second, how do I know someone is an adulterer? Adulterers aren't out advertising their sexual sin or trying to make it socially acceptable.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

If he's legally treating everyone who bashes him the same, it's not discrimination.

They aren't taught that anymore than the GOP is taught to hate black people.

Prove that Black Panthers and Nation of Islam people hate you and that you treat them the exact same way as you do other white, yellow or brown businessmen whom you know to hate you, and you should be fine.:thumbs:

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's celebrating a Jewish kid becoming an "adult" and responsible for all the laws and traditions of being a Jew. So you'd be baking a cake for someone celebrating his arrival into a religion that rejects Jesus.

How do you know someone is gay?

Not knowing means that somebody probably doesn't take issue as long as they don't know.

So to be consistent, they should start asking all of their customers if they are committing any unrepentant sin because they need to know before they can decide whether or not it goes against their "religious beliefs" before they can bake them a cake.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you think that's true, then charge the party with that and see if there's enough evidence to convict.

If I have to prove that, does the Jewish deli owner have to prove that every Nazi hates him personally?

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When they come in and ask for a wedding cake for Dave and Dave; or when they ask for catering for a gay wedding.

No; it means that as long as the sinner isn't advertising their sin and trying to make it acceptable, the vendor won't know, and there won't be a problem. It's because folks are defending the sin of homosexuality that we're even having this discussion.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you might be wrong. I know a couple who are called Bill and Bob. Bill is male and Bob is female. Guess you would not serve them because of their names.

8. targus

targus New Member

Is this issue very different from conscience clauses provided by many States which allow physicians and pharmacists to refuse to provide services which violate their religious beliefs?

Would those denying the right of someone to not be forced into contributing to facilitation of a gay wedding also deny a doctor the right to refuse to perform an abortion based on his religious beliefs?

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone else see the silliness and irrelevance in this statement?

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Silly rabbit. At that point I would ask, "your wife's name is Bob? Yes? That's interesting. Haven't seen that before. Now, what type of frosting did you say you wanted?"

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Gosh, I wouldn't dare charge a group with such behavior anymore than I would tell black people that they are X times more likely to kill someone than everyone else. There certainly is enough evidence to say that a lot of folks in the GOP, just in looking at folks on this board, do harbor animus against Blacks.

Sure if he wants to be consistent. But chances are, when someone has openly declared themselves to be a member of a group who prided itself in hating others, there's probably not too much more proof needed. But i would still give the person the benefit of the doubt because I don't know how and why they came to be members of such an organization.

#51 Zaac, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So would it be okay for Dave and Dave to come in and get a birthday cake for their adopted child who just came out as gay?

That's not conviction. That's convenience. Conviction states it up front.

Where has anyone defended the sin of homosexuality? How is asking someone to bake a cake for you defending the sin of homosexuality.

This sounds so much like how Whites treated Blacks before the Civil Rights Act that it's eerie.

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A birthday cake is celebrating a birthday.

You've missed the point again. Your constant reference to civil rights, to "if they want to be in business, they should just make the cake"--YOU have yet to address that many religions (not just Christianity) declare engaging in homosexuality to be sin. YOU have yet to address that scripture says we are not to endorse or support sin. YOU have yet to address that the Constitution was written so that the government guarantees freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

The one thing you and I agree on is that homosexuals are free to visit other businesses, and let the business that decides to live by Christian values die on its own from lack of business. But again, YOU have yet to address that they'd rather force those businesses to compromise their values, and force them out of business.

Frankly, Zaac, you're so full of love that I wonder if you realize that scripture says some people are going to burn in eternity. And worse, I wonder if you're so afraid of offending them you aren't warning them.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But would that pharmacists be legally able to refuse to sell birth control to a un-married woman?

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The objection, according to some, is the fact that you now know what they do in the bedroom and don't want to be seen as giving approval for that.

They are still gay and still having gay sex when they purchase the birthday cake. Can they order the birthday cake from you after you've told them you won't do a wedding cake?

And you're completely missing the point that they are purchasing a cake. They aren't trying to purchase your countertops upon which to have homosexual sex.

What sin? They are purchasing a cake. What sin are you endorsing or supporting by them purchasing a cake?

Who has asked for freedom from religion?

Since when is discriminating and being nasty a Christian value? I think the issues are arising here because too many people are confusing their Christian and religious "beliefs" to be the same as God's when they clearly are not.

Now Don, you know if nothing else I'm always gonna tell you what the word of God says. I can be as full of love till I'm about to explode. But in that same love, I'm still gonna tell you the truth and not mince words about what God says.

Them purchasing a cake or not isn't going to keep them from burning in hell for all eternity.

Them not being offended isn't going to keep them from burning in hell for all eternity.

The Body of Christ has to figure out that you CANNOT point people to Jesus by alienating them and making them feel like you hate them and everything about them.

The Body of Christ has got to figure out that while we're alienating people because of our beliefs, those beliefs are NEVER a reason to discriminate and treat people in a manner that we wouldn't want to be treated.

Is it more important to honor your religious beliefs about something of which God's word hasn't spoken and thereby alienate folks to the point that they will receive nothing of the truth of Christ because of how they have been treated by His supposed representatives, or is it more important to position a relationship with people whereby they can see the love of Christ overflowing out of us?

I have heard so much from so called Christians over the last 30 something years that tells me that a lot of folks would much rather win an argument than they would a soul to the glory of Christ.

I keep saying, and I have for years, that we have created modern day lepers out of these people.

The love of Christ should compel us to treat them the way that we want to be treated.

The love of Christ should compel us to treat them as though we love them. And there is nothing of the love of Christ in discriminating against someone just because they sin.

16. targus

targus New Member

It is my recollection that some States do have laws allowing pharmacists to not sell birth control pills based on religious conviction.

My point being that religious convictions are individual to each person and others can not say what is and is not a religious liberty reason for doing or not a particular action.

And that is exactly what these religious freedom laws are about.

People are free to act in accordance with their religious convictions and then if charged with discrimination can raise a defense of religious freedom in court.

It is then up to the court to decide if that defense holds or not.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fully agree.

Interesting - that some demand that we accept them - but they are not willing to accept us.

Here is the bottom line. A baker could very easily advertise that he welcomes to bake for the homos*xual community.

Hmmm - New Thread

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes or No: Do blacks commit more homicides per capita than whites?
    Yes or No: Do GOP whites hate demo blacks more than demo blacks hate GOP whites?

But is hating someone-- or being hated by someone-- a legal reason to refuse to do business with such a person? If so, that could render civil rights laws null. All a business operator has to say is he or she thinks that person hates him or her. So-- does a Jewish baker have to bake a cake ordered by a nazi group or not? What is they request a swastika on the top of it? If a Christian baker thinks a qr who orders a cake hates him or her, is that the same, similar, or a legitimate means of forcing the person to act against his or her beliefs and will?

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's got nothing to do with the likelihood of Blacks to commit homicide.

Got me. I didn't know anyone had done such a study :laugh:

As a Christian, I say a definite no. I am never amazed at how far loving your enemies goes.

He doesn't HAVE to do anything.

Tell him you don't bake cakes for anyone with swastikas on top so please choose something else.
    I think a Christian should be more inclined to serve someone who says they hate them.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's discrimination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.