1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Indigenous Missions

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by USMC71, Jun 12, 2006.

1. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

Just wonder on what ya'll believe about indigenous missions. I am aware of the different philosophies out there. It would be good to get some dialogue on the subject.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist World Mission, my board, does nothing but indigenous missions! This means that:

(1) We are only involved in church planting. We don't do institutions (except Bible institutes).
    (2) Our goal is to work ourselves out of a job, and get a national pastor in the work eventually.
    (3) We don't bring big sums from the homeland into the church on the field, or to support national pastors. This is based on the "three self" principle first enunciated my missionaries in the 19th century: self-government, self-support, self-propogation.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The BBFI is of like mind with BWM on indigenous missions.

4. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

Indigenous

I agree with your board and those principles 100%. What about a country where it is extremely difficult to have bible studies in your home. What about renting the building until the people are able to take over the payments?

What about offering the man you are training a small salary until he is able to take over the church?

Lie I said, I am aware of the different philosophies, even with us who believe in indigenous missions.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with renting a building until the people are able to take over the payments. That is what we have done in Japan, actually. The thing is, as the founding pastor of the church, it is permissible under the indigenous policy for me, as a member, to give generously to the church. So for example right now we essentially pay for our church rent through our tithe--but we give it through the church offerings.

Concerning offering a salary to the man being trained, I have no problem with that--as long as it is done through the church itself, much as with paying the rent in the previous paragraph. This helps the church to think indigenously right from the start. And I personally don't go for the commissioning thing--I believe a church being planted should be considered a church right from the first meeting. After all, it is at least two or three gathered in the name of Jesus, isn't it?

6. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

Indigenous

Thanks, John. I've been in Sri Lanka for a year and a half and just wanted to get some opinions of others who are familiar with the challenges. BY, the way. I spent 5 years in Okinawa, Japan with the Marines, before I got saved through the ministry of a missionary. Praise the Lord, our labor is not in vain in the Lord. I do not have a board, just sent from my local church. These indigenous principles can vary in part of the country. The culture varies in each part of the country as well. Thanks for the input.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are in a difficult field, USMC71. May God greatly use you.

By any chance did you go to Maranatha BC to in Okinawa? I'll be down on the island in September to preach in several churches, including Maranatha.

8. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

Indigenous

Yes, I was saved at Maranatha under Missionary Dan Mouw, now, Steve Nutt is the pastor. I was saved there April 30th, 1995 ass a Marine. Yes, I am in a difficult area and field, but then again, what country is easy with the Gospel ministry. But I do understand what you are saying. We are abot to slip into civil war and tensions are high thorughout the country. The third highest ranking military officer was killed by a suice bomber just yesturday. Sri Lanka is very similar to Japn, dealing with Buddhism and Atheism. Our experience is that there must be a discipleship teaching of creation and the deity, even before we can introduce Christ to them. They have no knowledge of Heaven, Hell..etc...

So, in that regard it is hard, but very rewarding when you see a blinded soul turn from darkness to light, Glory to God, Amen!!