1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Indisputable evidence of the effectual call

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Feb 21, 2015.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tom, I don't quite know what you are trying to convey. Help me out!

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree 100% here. Some have been blinded. The parable of the sower (or soils) would support that

I also agree there is no mention of the will. Not only in these passages, but in the entirety of scripture - as it relates to a knowledge of the truth. I believe it is humanly impossible to decide to believe something.

If I'm convinced enough to decide, then I already believe before I ever got to my "moment of decision"

But that's part of the rub. The thread title "Effectual Call" seems to point to Reformed doctrine, which is absolutely a call to "make a decision"

It's simply Arminianism rewrapped in a box of grace and tied with a Monergist bow. Nothing different except a fancy package.

The Reformed mantra is that one is "called" to commit himself to serving Christ (same as their opponent). That this servitude is required element in the scheme of "final" salvation (whatever that means)

However, we are stuck with passages which teach us that man is not to boast or take credit for "salvation"

So whatcha gonna do? Try to relieve the tension.

That's why regeneration MUST come first, according to the Protestant. Regeneration is reduced to a meager "change of will", a new disposition.

Now the Calvinist is able to require the same decision and commitment that the Arminian. The only difference is that the Calvinist can wave a Monergist banner over his works based "gospel"

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ok, now I see why we are not communicating with each other. No, that is not my view or definition of the effectual call or what this text is speaking about. There is no "make a decision" involved here. Instead it is the creation of a believing heart out of a non-believing heart by divine fiat.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! You're sounding like an Old Baptist!

I believe probably your 'rub' would be with Andrew Fuller's corruption of Particular Baptist theology, i.e., Cal-Minianism:

What is the problem with Fullerism

Why I am not a Follower of Andrew Fuller

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree wholeheartedly, and I formally apologize for interfering :D

6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, I'm not as old as I sound - lol

I'll have to go back for a refresher. It's been at least 12 years since I took a walk through Fullerism, back when I was studying church history and the history of doctrine.

Thanks for the links