1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inerrancy - Bellingham Statement 1

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Deacon, Sep 27, 2008.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

It has been said, that the articulation of the doctrine of “verbal plenary inspiration” came about because of the issues of inerrancy, textual criticism and translations that arose starting in the late 1800s.

But that every born again Christian has “always” believed it, because it is what the Bible actually teaches.

Therefore, this statement, “verbal plenary inspiration”, was simply invented, to appease those intellectual scoffers, that were attacking the Bible.
    --------------------------------------------------
    I have always believed in verbal inspiration, but believe it or not, for the first 10 years as a pastor, I called it “mechanical dictation”, because that is what I had heard it called, and this properly describes how we got our Bible, in light of 1Peter 1:10-12.
    i.e. (The writers, didn’t understand, what they were writing, but were just writing down the words that God gave them.)
    Now I know, taking this stand make me look like a “mouth breathing nose picker”, but I don’t care.

All I care about is pleasing my LORD, and being obedient to Him.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One need only spend a few minutes reading the words (not translation) penned by John, Peter and Paul to realize that the holy Scripture was not mechanically given - bypassing human brain/personality - but very unique

Peter had a 3rd grade education and wrote run-on sentences, often making up words and in a semi-illiterate style

John had a high school diploma and writes good, concise and clear sentences. Greek students in college/seminary always being translating using John because he follows the rules!

Paul had a PhD and some of the most convoluted, detailed, intrincate writing.

It God simply "dictated" xyz, then the xyz to Peter or John or Paul would all look alike. Instead, as the Word teaches, the holy Spirit "superintended" or "guided" those men so that the word-choices and grammar and syntax they used, though individualized, would convey exactly what God desired.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not exactly. Both Peter and Luke knew exactly what they were writing (Look it up!), although some certainly did not fully understand, or comprehend this at all - e.g. many of the OT writers.

In the words of Dean Dr. John W. Burgon,
    Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not exactly. Both Peter and Luke knew exactly what they were writing (Look it up!), although some certainly did not fully understand, or comprehend this at all - e.g. many of the OT writers.

In the words of Dean Dr. John W. Burgon,
    Ed

5. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi Dr. Bob

I have studied the Bible, and do clearly see the differing writing styles.

But I believe that God was capable(when He gave us the Bible), to speak the very words He wanted these men to write down, in there individual writing styles.
    (I am not going to question God’s ability.)
    Now some might ask, why would God do it this way?

Well the answer is obvious.
    If God had spoken his Word, to every person that gave us the Bible, in His own style(if God even has a writing style), than we would have all 66 books of the Bible, written in the same exact writing style.

Just imagine the heyday, that Satan would have with that.
    Oh by the way, the reason mechanical dictation, had to have been the way God gave us the Bible, is because the only other alternative, would have been to have all the men who God used, use there own words.

I know how wicked men’s hearts are, so therefore this is unacceptable to me.

Just the idea, that Paul or any one else, could have put their own slant, on “God’s Word”, would make the Bible, no better than a commentary.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And so we have the prophetic word made more sure [implied: in writing, not just spoken], to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts.

But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture [writing] is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

"Moved" does not imply "dictated words" in any sense. It means to be "carried along" or "guided" or "superintended".

While on some rare occasions God said "Write these words, XYZ" and the man wrote them. Most often, God guided men to use their own vocabulary, grammar and syntax to give the exact message He breathed out.

7. Hawkins

Hawkins New Member

I agree too. I believe that early Christians are more spiritual than us endtime sinners to say anything spiritually. We could be more scientific but not more spiritual. That's why it is a heresy to 'believe' that God has lost control of His own Word. Moreover, who will be more (or the most) authenticated to point out the flaws!!!?? Everyone may claim that the other side is quoting the flawed verses.

Word of God to Adam, as well as the endtime sinners:

God said (Word of God);
    but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.

Sinners chose to ignore Word of God, after eating too much from the Tree of Knowledge. And start to think that they are so knowledgeable that they can judge even Word of God.

"For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

#47 Hawkins, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008