1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inerrancy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by santamarana, Jan 11, 2008.

1. santamarana

santamarana New Member

Since the Inerrancy of the bible is crucial to Christianity
    why is John 7:37-38, Matt 2:23, no where to be found in the bible whatsoever.

John 7:37-38
    In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Matt 2:23
    And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

Can anyone please refer to the old testament verse that Jesus and Matthew are quoting from?

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could it be that we don't have a record of every word that every prophet of God has said?

I've just got to ask, do you believe in the inerrancy of the Scriptures?

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Jesus was repeating prophecy regarding the Messiah.

Deu 18:15 ¶ The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

Regarding the living water, He is referring to the Holy Spirit.

Jhn 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
    Jhn 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet [given]; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Jhn 7:40 ¶ Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. As we often do today: We might quote someone directly or paraphrase or even make an allusion.

2. I believe that while Jesus was not making a direct quote or paraphrasing, he was making an allusion.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Good point. I didn't mean to imply that He was quoting directly from Deut., (That was but one prophecy) but that He was alluding to the prophecy of the Messiah.

I should have made that clearer.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I believe we both come out saying the same thing when we consider the life and ministry of the Messiah that the OT spoke of. :thumbs:

7. standingfirminChrist

Things Hard to be Understood
    Mt. 2:23
    “And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.” – Mt 2:23

“The Words here are not found in any of the books of the Old Testament, and there has been much difficulty in ascertaining the meaning of this passage. Some have supposed that Matthew meant to refer to Jg 13:5, to Samson as a type of Christ; others that he refers to Isa 11:1, where the descendant of Jesse is called ‘a Branch;’ in the Hebrew Natzer. Some have supposed that he refers to some prophecy which was not recorded, but handed down by tradition. But these suppositions are not satisfactory.

“It is much more probable that Matthew refers not to any particular place, but to the leading characteristics of the prophecies respecting him. The following remarks may make this clear: 1st. He does not say ‘by the prophet,’ as in Mt 1:22; 2:5,15, but ‘by the prophets,’ meaning no one particularly, but the general character of the prophecies. 2nd. The leading and most prominent prophecies respecting him were, that he was to be of humble life; to be despised and rejected. See Isa 53:2-3,7,9,12; Ps 22:1-31. The character of the people of Nazareth was such that they were proverbially despised and contemned, Joh 1:46; 7:52. To come from Nazareth, therefore, or to be a Nazarene, was the same as to be despised, or to be esteemed of low birth; to be a root out of dry ground, having no form or comeliness. This was what had been predicted by all the prophets” (Barnes).

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

SFIC, here's something hard to understand.....what on earth is that critter hopping around in your avitar??? :laugh:

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thread was started by a non-baptist - a newbie who failed to realize that when we say "Baptist Only", we mean "Baptist Only" to post in this forum.

We will continue to allow the thread to stand and open for discussion (if more is desired), but this is for Baptists Only, excluding santamarana who started it.

Thank you ALL for abiding by the simple rules of the BB

10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

It is clear you do not know your bible dear one. :)

I just wrote on this a few weeks back...

COLUMN: Skeptics' idea of conspiracy, find no logic

11. standingfirminChrist

LOL, Amy. some call it a quackaroo.

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nice article Jim. A quick look at Gill's commentary on the verses in question turns this guy's bombs into rusty duds. And I am greatly relieved to learn that he is not a Baptist.

13. santamarana

santamarana New Member

Moderator Note: Post deleted, Non-Baptist Posting in a Baptist ONLY Section of the BB.

#13 santamarana, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2008
  14. santamarana

santamarana New Member

Moderator Note: Post deleted, Non-Baptist Posting in a Baptist ONLY Section of the BB.

#14 santamarana, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2008
  15. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Would you please use another description? There is no such thing as a "dud bomb". Under some condition, it WILL go off.:laugh: :wavey:
    Phillip "the BB's explosives transportation engineer care of the United States Army Defense Ammo Cntr"

I just HAD to do that. Too many people killed by picking up duds; or the school teacher who slammed his "demo" 40mm hand grenade on his desk killing him and injuring some of his high-school students as he taught history!:BangHead: