1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Infallibility or Ecumenical Error?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by jimraboin, Sep 15, 2002.

1. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Jim,

Admit that your whole arguement is baited. We'll define hatred, you'll say, "And this council is obviously promoting hatred by your own definition, and thus the Catholic Church is not the true Church." It's pretty obvious.

So, instead of giving in to this vain attempt to discredit the Church, what Trying2Understand is consistently trying to prove is that the means are not infallible. The doctrine being established was over Passover, not about how to treat the Jews. You've made it a personal goal to get nitpicky and find faults in things that do not meet the criteria for infallibility and are trying to use them to your own advantage.

Reread what we've shown you about infallibility. Could the Church have been speaking in a hateful way in this document? Perhaps; I'm not going to judge by your few paragraphs of text without any other context. I refuse to jump to conclusions as you so obviously are doing. Either way, though, the sentences you picked out are infallible statements; they are not defining official, binding doctrine of the Church.

The Catholic Church has made two infallible statements in the last two hundred years, and yet in the same time, we've had the Second Vatican Council. Every word in that council, while we should read it with utmost sincerity and use it as a guide to explaining the preexisting truths of the Church, each and every word is not infallible. The same is true, no doubt, with the council of Nicea.

2. jimraboin

jimraboin Guest

Again, Catholic's judge themselves by their own private definitions irrespective of what Jesus or the eyewitness apostles taught. Consider their official doctrine:

You need only ask yourself if Catholic institution hated the believing Jews from Israel. If it separated itself from them. If it murdered them. Then according to Jesus and his apostles, no such group is of the light and cannot be considered saved. This is official doctrine. How do you justify Catholic hatred? The means is as important as the outcome. Catholic definition in and of itself of infallibility proves its error and deception.

Explain.

Jim

3. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Like I said: baited.

Did you not have the courage to come out and just say this in the first place? No, you rather drag it out, draw much attention to it, and then shake the dust off your feet at us.

Your attitude has been so thoroughly Chrisitian throughout this thread. Tell me, Jim, DO the means justify the end? You should know.

4. jimraboin

jimraboin Guest

Grace,

You may dislike the material found within Catholic history, but I am not the source of it. I am only comparing it with Jesus' teachings and those of his eyewitness apostles. Clearly these teachings are the most supreme and authoritative. You are mad at me because you have no defense nor excuse to explain away Catholic hatred toward the believing Jews from Israel. In fact, a hatred that extended to all things Israel that led to a complete rewrite of Christianity excluding all things Israel. Say nothing of the horrible persecutions done in the name of Rome.

Why don't you focus your emotion at the real issue? And why don't you accept the teaching of Jesus straight from his mouth. Surely no Council can change what he has authoritatively taught?

Jim

5. jimraboin

jimraboin Guest

What, no reply?

Jim

6. jimraboin

jimraboin Guest

Grace,

You may dislike the material found within Catholic history, but I am not the source of it. I am only comparing it with Jesus' teachings and those of his eyewitness apostles. Clearly these teachings are the most supreme and authoritative.

You are mad at me because you have no defense nor excuse to explain away Catholic hatred toward the believing Jews from Israel. In fact, a hatred that extended to all things Israel that led to a complete rewrite of Christianity excluding all things Israel. Say nothing of the horrible persecutions done in the name of Rome.

Why don't you focus your emotion at the real issue? And why don't you accept the teaching of Jesus straight from his mouth. Surely no Council can change what he has authoritatively taught?

Jim

7. jimraboin

jimraboin Guest

There it is. Must I assume no rebuttal can be made? If so, then I will take the position that my logic is correct. Catholicism is in error.

Jim

8. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Does your church allow Jews who do not accept Christ to be members? If not, why? Hatred?

Does your church observe Passover? If not, why? Hatred?

Would your church allow a person who observes Sabbath starting a sundown on Friday as a member? If not, why? Hatred?

Do you still believe that "oppressed in silence", in your original post to another thread, means that some person was kept silent?

Since you have not answered my questions, we may all assume that your church hates and has seperated from the Jews and thus is a false church and teaches a false gospel.

9. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Jim,

So, because I wasn't here on the board when you posted these threads...that makes your argument right? I have a lot going on right now, and I've posted a little here and there (one or two last night), but I haven't had time to respond to everything. Cut me some slack.

When did you "prove" that the Catholics Church was "hating" the "BELIEVING" Jews?

And since you think you've definitively answered your own question, please answer Trying2Understand's questions.

[ September 21, 2002, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: GraceSaves ]

10. Son of Coffee Man

Son of Coffee Man New Member

I would have to say yes. If the means are right (i.e. in line with God's principles) then the ends, whatever it is, would have to be God's will. Althought I do understand many might try to find shelter for their position under such an umbrella.

By the way:
    I appologize for the delayed response. I actually lost this thread. I just found out how to do a search and found it again (stinkin newbies).

and now a question:
    I have read through everything and inserted my first question and opening comment above on limited information. I am trying to understand the main thrust of this debate but don't quite get it yet.

Grace, could you or T2U explain to me the basic point in question and/or the relevance of the questions 'trying' has asked but not been answered on?

SoCM

11. jimraboin

jimraboin Guest

I would like to know as well.

Jim

12. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

You don't see the relevance in his questions, and I don't see the relevance of your post in general. How about we close the thread, since neither side wants to listen to the other?

13. trying2understand

I see. You need to know how your answers will be used against your arguement before you are willing to give them.

Ron [​IMG]

14. jimraboin

jimraboin Guest

You may dislike the material found within Catholic history, but I am not the source of it. I am only comparing it with Jesus' teachings and those of his eyewitness apostles. Clearly these teachings are the most supreme and authoritative.

You are mad at me because you have no defense nor excuse to explain away Catholic hatred toward the believing Jews from Israel. In fact, a hatred that extended to all things Israel that led to a complete rewrite of Christianity excluding all things Israel. Say nothing of the horrible persecutions done in the name of Rome.

Jim

15. Son of Coffee Man

before we skip straight to verbally beating the snot out of each other could I get my questions answered? I don't think I have done anything to merit not being answered, have I?

SoCM

16. trying2understand

No, you have not done anything to merit not being answered. This thread was started by Jim with the intent of proving that the Catholic Church taught "error" and thus proving the Church is not infallible and thus a "false church" that teaches a "false gospel".

You must first understand the meaning of "infallible" as defined by the Church. The Church is using the word within a specific context, that being when offically declaring a doctrine as infallible and to be held by all the faithful of the Church. I have given a proper definition earlier in the thread.

Jim does not understand what was declared as doctrine by the Council which he has quoted (not in entirety but only partially). He says that the doctrine declared was "Hate Jews". He is incorrect.

I have asked several questions repeatedly for a specific purpose. His refusal to answer them, despite their immediate relevance to his arguement, demostrates, to me anyway, that he is not acting in good faith. I have taken a position that I will not engage him further until he has the courage to answer them.

Nothing against you. It's just where we are.

Ron [​IMG]

17. trying2understand

Just in case you missed my questions, Jim.

18. Son of Coffee Man

T2U,

I have been trying to keep up by reading the old posts but have not quite gotten it yet.

Could you restate what you mean by "infallibility" when refering to the Catholic church?

SoCM

19. trying2understand

SoCM, above is my original post defining infallibility. [​IMG]

[ September 23, 2002, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: trying2understand ]

20. jimraboin

jimraboin Guest

Ron,

So much double talk. If Constantine cannot be relied upon in his letters for accurately transmitting what occurred therein, then are we to believe his claim that Nicaea was free from all error? What do we believe in his letters and what do we discard? You appear to pick and chose only those things he says that fit with your personally held beliefs. I am taking everything he said and putting it all together. That is how error is easily found.

Jim