1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Infant Baptism

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by padredurand, Oct 27, 2004.

1. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Infant baptism achieves nothing as the baptised one is still a sinner and under condemnation. It is a reflection of it's parents misunderstanding. Being born of Christian parents is not a sure salvation because Eli lost his children. To include before inclusion is real is unreal and therefore not in truth. There is no value in it for anyone.
    For Calvin to assume that it is a continuation of circumcision is false because we still belong in the Abrahamic Covenant. There is nothing in scripture to tell us there was a change in the law except that circumcision is no longer, if it ever was, necessary for inclusion in the Kingdom of God. Faith is the sign of inclusion, nothing else is.
    I know a woman at the moment who has been told by her vicar that she cannot get baptised because she was christened as a child. The best she can hope for is a confirmation. Pretty sad state of affairs I'd say. Being baptised as a sinner but unable to get baptised as a saint. That is what infant baptism results in.

padredurand.

And precious little scripture. He made an assumption did he not?

That infant baptism is attested to by tradition is not in question.

Wes, Outwest.

This is not right is it? All people are under the wrath of God until they are brought to salvation. 'Jacob I loved Esau I hated' means that not all children are loved.
    All people from the moment of conception break the law. None are born with the love of God needed to be innocent. Ignorance of the law is a mitigating circumstance but the child is guilty of sin nevertheless.

johnp.

2. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

This is not right is it? All people are under the wrath of God until they are brought to salvation. 'Jacob I loved Esau I hated' means that not all children are loved.
    All people from the moment of conception break the law. None are born with the love of God needed to be innocent. Ignorance of the law is a mitigating circumstance but the child is guilty of sin nevertheless.

johnp.</font>[/QUOTE]If you are calling the human sin nature sin, then you'd be wrong. Sin exists, but human do not have to commit acts of sin, it is the acts of sin, the deeds that condemn us. One does not become a murderer until he murders someone. One does not become an adulterer until the act of adultery is committed, even though if you think it in your heart, God sees it as the act, it is not a sin deed until acted upon. Thus it is not a chargeable deed.

There is going to be a judgment of deeds
    (not by what they think). The judgment of what one thinks comes in Rev 20:15
    Infants are not responsible for sin because they have not been taught by "the law" (parental) that what they do is sin. They are innocent of the law because they don't know the law, Law is not inborn, it is learned.

All deeds, both good and bad are judged as if by fire. The good deeds come through the fire in the manner of Gold, Silver, and precious gems. Gold and silver are purified in fire, precious gems are not effected by fire. Bad deeds are consumed by the fire in the manner that wood, hay, and stubble, are consumed by fire. However the one doing the deeds, is "spared" as if through fire. For the one doing bad deeds, it is devastation of having your worldly goods consumed by fire. For the one doing good deeds, there is still the "treasure" that you can lay at the feet of Jesus.

An infant has NO deeds to be tested! The infant is completely dependent upon the parent. Being "pure in heart" so to speak, even though the human nature is susceptable to sinning, the infant that dies has nothing chargeable against it, so it is passed from death unto life.

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Wes, Outwest.

Not so. Why do babies die? It's the wages of sin regardless of actual deeds.
    Actual deeds increase the severity of judgement and actual failure to obey the law is also a deed. Love the Lord your God is commanded of all and failure here brings wrath. Knowledge of the law is unneseccary for judgement. Rom 2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law... This is without exception.

Not so. 1 John 3:15 Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him.

That would be lust. Maybe I am not understanding you. It is not the deeds that are the real problem. The deeds of sinners are just symptoms of a fallen nature. The heart of man is condemned before any act takes place.

Of course but the deed originates in the heart. Are you saying that if I set off to rob a bank and I die before I get there I do not face judgement for the thought? The heart is judged before the deed. The deed proceeds from the heart.

I don't really understand this.

Rom 2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law... If children are not responsible then why do they die? The wages of sin is death therefore they must be considered guilty of sin. The fact that they have not known the law mitigates but does not absolve them. If they were considered innocent then they would not die and we would know they are all saved. Ps 51:5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. David was aware of it. This is why we should not baptise infants.

If this is a reference to 1 Cor 3:12 then Paul is talking about Christians. If it is not would you let me know where it comes from?

You have no children then?

Not without the grace of God. Since faith is required then the child must have faith to move from death to life before it dies, the same for the rest of us.

johnp.

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the few of you that follow that Augustinian belief of "damned but lightly" or the next step "damned period" I pray, that if you are pastoring, you never have to stand in front of a family that has just lost a child. Consider these two verse and consider this question: I do not dispute the original sin argument (Psalm 51, etc.). However, can a child be held accountable for things beyond their ability to comprehend? Romans 4:15 "for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation." If the child had no comprehension of the law how can the child violate the law? Or Romans 5:13 "for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law." Impute means To relate to a particular cause or source; attribute the fault or responsibility to Even though sin exists how can the fault or responsibility for that sin be attributed to someone with no or little cognitive ability to discern it. To say a child is condemned to hell because of their failure to have faith places an individual's faith above God's grace. You make the assumption that, had the child lived to an age of reason, they would have NOT exercised faith.
    Consider the child of David
    He said, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, ‘Who knows, the LORD may be gracious to me, that the child may live.’ “But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.” 2 Samuel 12:22-23

Using your assumptions, David, in spite of his repentance, in spite of being a man after God's own heart must have gone to hell. David knew the child would not return nor would he come to life again. He resigned himself to "I will go to him." The child was not circumcised nor dedicated at the Temple according to the Mosaic law. Based on your assumption of a limited Grace the child was condemned without recourse and therefore David must go to him and share the condemnation.

5. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello padredurand.

Yes a child must be held accountable for things beyond their ability to comprehend because they die.
    Rom 4:15 because law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression. But this is applicable only to those in Christ. It does not mean if you do not hear the law you are not condemned. Nor can it mean that comprehension is taken into account because, "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Cor 2:14.
    Comprehension can only come with regeneration. If comprehension is used as a measure of ability, and those without the ability are not condemned, no one goes to Hell. Universalism, no?
    Rom 5:13 for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account (Impute?) when there is no law.
    Sin is not taken into account by sinners. God always takes sin into account otherwise it would not be known as sin. How can there be sin if there is no law? It is man that does not comprehend a thing to be sin unless the law says to him, "You shall not." It become alive then and rebellion springs openly into view. (The 'imputation' might need discussing.)

Rom 9:19 One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20 But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, `Why did you make me like this?' " 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

I would not say that David's child went to Hell. The scripture is clear that the children of believers go to be with the Lord except in exceptional circumstances. Those circumstances are willed by the Lord.
    As for the 'age of reason', that is an assumption based on peoples idea of fair. To believe all children are saved until they reach a certain age is a man made illusion based on our idea of fair. There is no scriptural warrant for it and we are not to impose our idea of fair onto God. He makes the rules.

I do not really know if you are addressing my points padredurand because you have not named who you are talking to.
    Your last paragraph mentions David after the death of his child. This is sometimes used by those that believe all children are saved but I see it another way. David could just have meant the grave without reference to the afterlife as such. But just in case you think I am a barbarian I do believe all children are saved, this is an assumption I make and I make sure all know that it is an assumption based on what I think fair, but they are saved by grace and have faith. John the Baptist had faith, "As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy." Luke 1:44. No comprehension was needed by baby John was it? Saved before birth.

As for pastoring the bereaved. I think it a fearful thing to lie to comfort. Is this not a place where trust in God comes in. There just is not enough scripture to comfort the non-Christian over the death of a child but there is for the Christian, "They will live in the land I gave to my servant Jacob, the land where your fathers lived. They and their children and their children's children will live there forever, and David my servant will be their prince forever." Eze 37:25.

johnp.

6. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that include anyone with mental incapacity through illness, accident or deformity regardless of age? We're not talking about everyone. We're talking about extenuating circumstances. Does God make provision for that? What about Joseph and Mary's sin offering at Jesus' dedication?

Leviticus 12:6-8
    6 ‘When the days of her purification are completed, for a son or for a daughter, she shall bring to the priest at the doorway of the tent of meeting a one year old lamb for a burnt offering and a young pigeon or a turtledove for a sin offering.
    7 ‘Then he shall offer it before the LORD and make atonement for her, and she shall be cleansed from the flow of her blood. This is the law for her who bears a child, whether a male or a female.
    8 ‘But if she cannot afford a lamb, then she shall take two turtledoves or two young pigeons, the one for a burnt offering and the other for a sin offering; and the priest shall make atonement for her, and she will be clean.’ ”

The pigeon or dove was a sin offering, brought before the Lord to make atonement. The law was one lamb and one dove (verse 7). One could say, ""But that's not fair. I can't afford a lamb AND a dove." God could say, "That's too bad. I'm not compelled to fairness." Instead He made provision for the poverty. Even thought justice demands and lamb and a dove, mercy (lovingkindness) motivated a provision, which in this case, directly benefited Mary and Joseph.

Leviticus 5:6-7;11
    6 ‘He shall also bring his guilt offering to the LORD for his sin which he has committed, a female from the flock, a lamb or a goat as a sin offering. So the priest shall make atonement on his behalf for his sin.
    7 ‘But if he cannot afford a lamb, then he shall bring to the LORD his guilt offering for that in which he has sinned, two turtledoves or two young pigeons, one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering.
    11 ‘But if his means are insufficient for two turtledoves or two young pigeons, then for his offering for that which he has sinned, he shall bring the tenth of an ephah of fine flour for a sin offering; he shall not put oil on it or place incense on it, for it is a sin offering.

In this case the provision to extend mercy to the impoverished is two steps removed from the demand of the Law. If God's mercy will extend to the financial well-being of an individual, why not to those impoverished of mind?

I think God is fairer than we give Him credit for being. Jewish children are consider under their parents covenant until they are old enough for their Bar Mitzvah/Bat Mitzvah at age 13. That was His idea of fair not ours.

I am so glad you are not a Barbarian (no offence to those of you who may be. I really don't want to exclude you). I haven't seen enough convincing evidence to change my mind or my heart. If that makes me a universalist, then I guess I need to go out and get a t-shirt imprinted. I'm really not embarassed or ashamed for what I believe.

We (collectively, not just you and I, John) have different convictions. As Wesley wrote to Whitefield
    Therefore, for a time you are suffered to be of one opinion, and I of another. But when his time is come, God will do what man cannot, namely, make us both of one mind. Then persecution will flame out, and it will be seen whether we count our lives dear unto ourselves, so that we may finish our course with joy. I am, my dearest brother, Ever yours, J. WESLEY

7. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Not so. Why do babies die? It's the wages of sin regardless of actual deeds.</font>[/QUOTE]It is appointed unto man once to die, then the judgment. You cannot blame the death of infants on sin! Jesus atoned for sin, so that man need not die because of sin. The wage of sin may be death, but Jesus paid that wage with his divine life, and he did it ONCE, for all sins in all times. Sin is not a factor in man's salvation, because Jesus atoned for all sins.

Yes, Infants die, and the reasons they do may be the related to the consequences of mankind’s sin. But individually speaking, the sin of the infant did not cause the infant's death. There was no chargeable sin! Besides, sin is not a factor in salvation!

Then how do you account for the scriptures
    and,
    So, you think that God destroys the lives of infants even though they have no charge against them?

Not so. 1 John 3:15 Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him.</font>[/QUOTE]The sin is hate not murder! The hate has taken place the murder has not!

8. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

part 2
    That would be lust. Maybe I am not understanding you. It is not the deeds that are the real problem. The deeds of sinners are just symptoms of a fallen nature. The heart of man is condemned before any act takes place.</font>[/QUOTE]The heart of man is what is redeemed by believing in Jesus Christ. It is by believing, that we are “born again”. The heart that has faith in God, is saved, the heart that does not believe is cast into the lake of fire. The deeds that we do, both good and bad, are tested as if by fire… but the one doing the deeds is not likewise tested. The test for eternal life is the faith condition of the spirit.

Of course but the deed originates in the heart. Are you saying that if I set off to rob a bank and I die before I get there I do not face judgment for the thought? The heart is judged before the deed. The deed proceeds from the heart.</font>[/QUOTE]Why would you even ‘think’ about robbing a bank if your faith is in God? To do so shows that you lack faith! So you are not condemned by your thoughts you are condemned by your lack of faith.

I don't really understand this.</font>[/QUOTE]Perhaps you do not understand the atonement that Jesus provided for sin. The atonement is payment in full of the indebtedness brought by sin which is death. Jesus made that payment for ALL sins in ALL times, and He did it once for ALL. Now please notice that atonement does not eliminate SIN, it pays the penalty for sin. With the penalty that is actually on our heads because we sin, having been PAID in full, we do not have to pay that penalty which Jesus paid for us, “ONCE, for ALL”. We have been ransomed! With that penalty paid for ALL sins, even the unbelievers do not face death due to sin. What unbelievers face is FINAL judgment because their names are not found in the book of life Revelation 20:15. They are cast into the lake of fire, the second death, which is the death of spirit! Evil spirit such as Satan, and his demons, those who became evil, and humans who refused to believe in God’s gift to man, His only Son, are the spirits that are cast into the lake of fire! You will also notice that Jesus says in John 3:18 that those who believe in Him are not judged! Yes, their deeds are judged, but they the people are not judged. They pass from death, into everlasting life.

Here’s what God gave good ole Jeremiah to tell us about what He plans to do for man.
    Then He gave us His only begotten Son to atone for our sins so that he could forget them.

9. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Part 3
    Rom 2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law... If children are not responsible then why do they die? The wages of sin is death therefore they must be considered guilty of sin. The fact that they have not known the law mitigates but does not absolve them. If they were considered innocent then they would not die and we would know they are all saved. Ps 51:5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. David was aware of it. This is why we should not baptise infants.</font>[/QUOTE]You do know that there are two deaths don’t you?
    Yes I do, and I was privileged to be unemployed when my son was born and for the next 13 months too! I had bonding time with my son that most men can only wish for. I studied my son, and I watched every move he made. I only corrected him to keep him from being hurt. I read the scriptures to him daily. It was not until he was crawling that his sin nature manifested itself in disobedience to his parents. His disobedience was met with instant correction. Even so, he did not stop “testing” his boundaries. That testing he was doing is a built in, instinctive thing observable in all primates and all mammalians. Therefore, I counted that not as “mans sin nature” but more as survival of the species. It was not until his teen years that he became deliberately sinful, disobeying his parents. It was not until his teen years that conviction of the Holy Spirit brought him to his knees.

Not without the grace of God. Since faith is required then the child must have faith to move from death to life before it dies, the same for the rest of us</font>[/QUOTE]Then I suppose that Jeremiah, John, Paul, James and Peter are wrong. About the age of “accountability”, or age of majority, or whatever it’s called when the child becomes responsible for its own conduct. When does the faith of the parents stop covering the child?

10. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Wes, Outwest.

Too much in one go causes the waters to become muddy.

The scripture you quote is to do with Christian teachers who are building up the Church. If their doctrine is wrong they will lose any reward coming to those who have the scriptures right. That is all it means.

Who else takes life but God? "...Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." Job 1:21

You say they have no charge against them the bible says, "Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

The actual murder has not taken place but the root is the same as the tree. 1 John 3:15 Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him.

I share your belief but you have used the wrong scripture to prove it. Also I believe we are sinners and no good comes from us but God disregards our sin because Jesus died for us. Is that what you are saying?
    If you are then there must come a time when we receive the benefits of Christ's sacrifice. When we receive the benefits, regeneration and the forgiveness of sins, then we get baptised.

You do not sin?

There is the shadow of death and the reality. The shadow is physical the reality is spiritual. (Bet that is not what you meant).
    The reality is that spiritual death that all are conceived in, the shadow is what we must live towards.

I agree. Faith from first to last.

I am still the main carer for my son. I had five years off to bring him up while my wife went to work. Great ain't it? Now he is at full time school I work part time. As you say, it is a great priveledge.

I don't believe those gentlemen you mention have ever said anything about the age of accountability. If they have let me see the scriptures. I believe the 'age of accountability' has been arrived at by men who try to make God look good and fair.
    Look, you believe we are saved by faith as I do. We can't be too far apart. Let's try and focus and be more specific. We are not at war with each other but trying to understand and share what we have. Let us stick to scripture. Where do these people talk about a certain 'age'?
    Many hold the belief that there is an age where we become responsible for our actions but I do not see it.

The faith of the parent never covers the child. Jesus promised us our children so our children are covered by Him. Forever. There is no 'age of accountability'. Children are subject to the wrath of God in the same way the grown ups are.
    If God has an age where He holds the person responsible then He has not told us.

johnp.

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Greetings padredurand.

Your first paragraph:
    I believe that God saves those He chooses. It is not dependent on the ability of the person. John was saved in the womb. Luke 1:44.

I don't believe that God is fair as we know fair. In our sight, "Jacob I loved Esau I hated." Is not fair. What I believe is that we must accept what God says without judgement. If we use our judgement, say at Romans 9, then we judge God and that is beyond us.
    If we use our judgement in the case of Pharaoh then we can take liberties. We can find a work around and in the end deny the way He treated this man or we can say that is not fair. Both ways are judgements against God. The best way I have found is to accept it.
    When He says that He riased up Pharaoh for the sole purpose of destroying him and making His glory known then what can I say but, "As you see fit Lord." Not that He needs my permission.

He saves all kinds of people but not all people.

I have heard of this but I know nothing about it. I looked it up in the dictionary. Only boys I see.

Sorry Barbarians my error! No offence meant to you lot. [​IMG]

I am a Calvinist in an Arminianish Church. We have committed ourselves to each other. Doctrine does not interfer with love. It does however liven things up!
    There are bound to be differences amongst us. It is how we overcome those differences that counts.

johnp.

12. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, someone did not just wake up one morning during the first century and say, "I've got it! Let's start baptizing infants"

johnp and others who may be interested in Bar Mitzvah

"Under Jewish Law, children are not obligated to observe the commandments, although they are encouraged to do so as much as possible to learn the obligations they will have as adults. At the age of 13 (12 for girls), children become obligated to observe the commandments." Tracey Rich Judaism 101 Judiaism 101

Mitzvah, in Aramaic and Hebrew, means commandment. Bar is son and Bat is daughter. At age 13, for boys, (12 for girls) they are expected to become Sons (or Daughters) of the Commandment. Until that age, they are under their parents "covering".

"The celebrant is also generally required to make a speech, which traditionally begins with the phrase "today I am a man." The father recites a blessing thanking God for removing the burden of being responsible for the son's sins." Ibid

Do you see a familiar pattern? A baby is born into a Jewish family (let's just assume it's a boy), on the eight day the brit milah (circumcision)is performed and thirteen years later the bar mitzvah. Doesn't that look like going to church and an infant is brought for baptism, then thirteen years later his or her confirmation? During that time - either scenario - the parents and the assembly assume the responsibility to "train up a child in the way they should go" Proverbs 22:6

Under Jewish law the father retains responsibility for the sins of the son. Extra-biblical?

Job 1:4-5
    4 His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each one on his day, and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them.
    5 When the days of feasting had completed their cycle, Job would send and consecrate them, rising up early in the morning and offering burnt offerings according to the number of them all; for Job said, “Perhaps my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did continually.

I do not recall God admonishing or punishing Job for this. It was beyond what the Law required and it was something Job, as a parent, was doing specifically on behalf of his children.

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Free from the Law--Oh Happy Condition"

Gentiles were never under the Law of Moses--still are not. The Jews could not keep the Law anyway--only Jesus could--and He did. The Law was given as a "schoolmaster" to show how man cannot be righteous of himself--he still can not.

In Christ there is neither Jew nor Gentile, bond nor free, male nor female--all are the same--in Christ.

Baptism is a picture--of death, burial, and resurrection. How this has any connection with circumcision is beyond my comprehension.

If we would translate the word "Baptize" correctly to "immerse", the proper candidate and mode would become obvious. Infants are unaware of what immersion signifies. To say that "original sin" must be washed away, is to say that what Jesus did at Golgotha was insufficient. Jesus paid it all--"It is finished".

Selah,

Bro. James

14. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, free from the Law as a covenant -

Romans 6:14 "For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace".

- but not free from its effect.

Romans 7:6-7 "But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter. What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet."

Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."

I agree with you and Paul "in the newness of spirit and not in oldness of letter."

"As long as a man continues under the law as a covenant, and seeks justification by his own obedience, he continues the slave of sin in some form. Nothing but the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus, can make any sinner free from the law of sin and death. Believers are delivered from that power of the law, which condemns for the sins committed by them. And they are delivered from that power of the law which stirs up and provokes the sin that dwells in them. - Matthew Henry

I did not mean to imply that we remain under the Law, only that in it we see the origin of thought and practices continued into this present day. Right or wrong, the practice of many -specifically infant baptism and by extension confirmation - have their origins in the Law. One word everyone has skirted throughout this thread is tradition.

Who, day and night, must scramble for a living, Feed a wife and children, say his daily prayers?
    And who has the right, as master of the house, To have the final word at home? The Papa, the Papa! Tradition. The Papa, the Papa! Tradition. - Tevye
    :D

Why do we have Good Friday services and Sunrise services on Easter (or even an Easter or Resurrection Sunday)? Tradition. Why do we take an offering during services? Tradition. Why do we sing a certain type or number of songs during worship? Why do some insist that men wear ties and women dresses at church? Why pulpits, pews altars or communion tables, organs or pianos, steeples or stained glass windows? Tradition. But I digress.....

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

I don't think that you are digressing really padredurand. The baptism/cicumcision link is not helped by man's need for ceremonies and outward signs.
    And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. So then, he is the father of all who believe but have not been circumcised, in order that righteousness might be credited to them. 12 And he is also the father of the circumcised who not only are circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised. Rom 4:11.
    I think the passage above negates the link made between baptism and circumcision.
    (So then, he is the father of all who believe and have been baptised, in order that righteousness might be credited to them.)
    That is the way that should read?

Tradition.
    Ps 16:6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.
    My wife earns our daily bread while I stay at home bringing up the kids! It's a great life. :cool:
    That a good resource you gave, Judaism 101. Bar Mitzvah is a recent invention but; "Under Jewish law the father retains responsibility for the sins of the son. Extra-biblical? I believe it to be biblical! Eli was held responsible for the loss of his sons, "For I told him that I would judge his family forever because of the sin he knew about; his sons made themselves contemptible, and he failed to restrain them. Isa 3:12
    Judaism 101 have missed John the Baptist from their list of prophets! [​IMG]

Best news I've ever heard.

johnp.

16. rufus

rufus New Member

I'm a Biblical Calvinists and DO NOT BAPTIZE INFANTS!

17. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me balance this with some of the other threads. There are several doctrines Calvin taught that are troubling or rejected out of hand ie: infant baptism, his support of the Catholic Church and self-identified 3,4, or 5 point Calvinist. (One post referred to Arminians as 2.5 point Calvinist) How do you reconcile accepting some of a man's teachings, reject others and still consider yourself a adherent? If one point of doctrine is suspect - possibly more - doesn't that make the rest of them suspect? Why would you want to identify yourself with someone that teaches what you believe won't stand the test of Scripture?

18. scooter

scooter New Member

padredurand wrote,
    What other man would you suggest I identify with? We are all flawed. Outside of Jesus, who is 100% correct on 100% of doctrine? Remember Paul rebuking Peter? Martin Luther certainly wasn't 100% correct and neither was Calvin. We need to be like the Bereans (Acts 17:11)and examine teachings in light of Scripture.

19. Southern

Southern New Member

Scooter,
    I agree with your post!
    Welcome to the board partner, I haven't been here that long myself.

In Christ

20. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern hasn't been here long but he's been tearing it up on this C/A forum! [​IMG]

I never realized (or maybe I didn't pay that much attention to it) there was such a rabid divide over this Calvin-Arminian debate until a few years ago. I was talking with a long-time friend. We both pastor- he's IF and I am in a mainline denomination. Some where along the line the discussion became a lecture with him lecturing me on the fallacy of Arminian theology against the superiority of unadulterated Calvinism.

Well, I bought a copy of Calvin's Institutes and have been reading it like you would eat an elephant: one bite at a time. I finally got to the infant baptism thing and couldn't wait to ask him. He got mad! No discussion, no debate no interaction, all I got was a short, "That's wrong!" and I haven't heard from him since.

Outside of Jesus, nothing matters. All of us have our theology shaped by many influences. We have been blessed with thousands of great thinkers - Godly men who could bring understanding to the Word. None of them (including all of us here) will ever get it 100 percent right. Why do we feel compelled to pitch our tent in one camp or the other? I think we should be theological mutts. I want to be known as a follower of Jesus Christ. Calvin, Arminius, Wesley, Edwards, Spurgeon and Luther have molded my understanding of Him. My folks, a Sunday school teacher and a lady who used to be a fall-down drunk until she was saved have also molded it.

I have baptized many infants mainly because it is the rule and order of my denomination to do so. The emphasis in the denomination's teaching points to and ends at Jesus Christ. Is it Calvinistic or Arminian? In the grand scheme of things; does it matter?