1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Influential Senate Dem Questions Party Support for Stimulus Bill

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An influential Senate Democrat said Friday that it's unclear whether President Obama's $819 economic stimulus bill will win enough support to pass in the Senate.

"I don't even know how many Democrats will vote for it, as it stands today," Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Neb., told FOX News.

Nelson, a moderate Democrat, is famous for gathering lawmakers from both sides of the aisle in a so-called "Gang of 14" to avert a shutdown of the Senate over judicial nominations. He is seeking a similar bipartisan effort to improve the stimulus bill.

Lawmakers are unhappy that the bill, passed by the House on Wednesday, contains billions of dollars for programs that arguably won't spark much job growth.

"What I'm hoping to do is bring together a bipartisan group of Republicans and Democrats and offer changes that will attract others and improve the bill," he told FOX News. "People want this to succeed."

Asked how many Republicans he can get to vote for the bill, Nelson said he didn't even know how many Democrats would vote for it.

More Here

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I have a bad feeling that by the time the Senate is done with this bill it will be greater than $1 trillion.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yep, every state will want a bridge to nowhere so they'll add it to the tab. Kind of wish I could just print more money like the Gov does.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Subterfuge. Their bill is waking people up, and the Dems are attempting to soothe them to sleep again so they can get this bill passed, and they will. The Democrats are enemies to Liberty. They'll allow (no—instruct) 11 to vote against it in the House just for show. They want to give the illusion that it isn't a monolithic party Hell-bent on building of a totalitarian state.

And so is this harping on the supposed doubt of Democratic support in the Senate. Smoke and mirrors.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Don't leave the GOP Governors who are in DC as I type this encouraging the Senate to pass the bill. If we're going to point fingers lets make sure we point them at everyone.