1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Information pack for a new Christian

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by milby, May 5, 2011.

1. milby

milby Member

I have a friend in another state who is a new Christian and does not have any experience with the Bible. I am wanting to send him a (for lack of a better word), "New believers information kit" which would include a bible and helpful information for a new believer. What would be a good bible and other books to include. I dont want to overwhelm him. Thanks.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is a WONDERFUL book out there called The Walk by Stephen Smallman. It's a Bible study/beginning theology book that takes you through the Scriptures to learn about different aspects of the faith. I checked it out and did the study myself and found it excellent. I'd say a nice Bible and this book would be a perfect "new believer" gift.

3. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

has he ever read the Bible before? what kind of education has he had?
    Important to know what version of the Bible to start out with based on those things...

Would say Holman bible translation a good 'safe" bet, NLT, or the ole NIV here IF he has little reading in Bible, If he had some...
    Would say NKJV/Nas 1995

And recommand :How to read the bible for all its worth" by Gorden fee and Douglas Stuart, will help him understand how Bible fits together and give guidelines to understand it by...

#4 JesusFan, May 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Yes, let us make sure that it is KJV only. (sarcasm intended)

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If he is not Bible literate I'd highly recommend the NIrV. I use it with our deaf church and they have grown in leaps and bounds now that they have a version they can understand.

7. milby

milby Member

He grew up in and out of church. But something happened in his 20's that made him very bitter toward God and Church in general. He is very smart and has a high school education but he hasn't looked at a bible in 20 years or so.

I prefer the ESV version and will probably recommend it.

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm meeting with an older gentleman who accepted Christ about a year ago.
    He has very little church background but is actively demonstrating his faith by serving and sharing his faith.

We're going over Charlies Ryrie's simple book, "A Survey of Bible Doctrine".

BTW, he uses an NLT so sooner than later I'll have to get a large print version.

Rob

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

I would look into getting him a personal sized Ryrie study bible, as that now comes in ESV!