1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inquiry for Reformed Type's

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have become intrigued with a book "The Marrow Of Modern Divinity" & have been reading it off & on-- on line. Here is the jist of the contents....

Book Description
    Publication Date: September 10, 2009
    An intriguing book, quite unlike any other, The Marrow of Modern Divinity defies pigeonholing. It was written in the 1600s by an author of whom we know little, yet it proved to be a critically important and controversial theological text.

Penned as dialogue between a minister(Evangelista), a young Christian(Neophytus), a legalist(Nomista) who believes Christianity is a set of rules to be obeyed and Antinomista who thinks it's okay to sin because God will forgive him anyway, it makes for a wonderfully insightful book that remains tremendously relevant for our world today.

Just wondering if any of our academic types (understanding we have lost quite a few on this board) have delved into it as I have questions & will have more as I progress into the book.

Thanks.... ping me if you have!:D

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sounds clever Neophytes, Nomianism, Anti-Nomianism. Never heard of the book but sounds interesting.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, the new birth provides a new heart, a new inclination toward righteousness. The book of Job demonstrates that "faith" is not something either Satan or Job can deminish or destroy but it is the power of God alone that provides it and sustains it.

Moreover, it is God who determines the "measure" of faith obtained and it is God that determines in what measure he works in us both to will and to do His good pleasure.

Hence, those born again live by faith according to the measure provided and sustained by God. The inclination is always towards righteousness (Rom. 7:22) but the power to perform ultimately comes from God according to the measure of faith received and sustained by God. That is why there is so much diversity between true Christians and their lives. Some bring forth 30, some 40, some 60 some etc. as empowered and sustained by God.