1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

inquiry on cd-burning - help!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Aki, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    hi guys!

in my pc i have both a cd-rom drive and a cd-writer.

burning on a blank cd-r a collection of data, it will readily be read by my cd-rom drive. however, when i add certain files (i use multisession), the additional files sometimes cannot be read by the cd-rom drive, but is read by the cd writer.

why is that? and is there a solution to it?

thanks in advance, and good day to you all [​IMG]

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Are you alternating different types of files on the same CD-R? ie data, wav, data, aff. mp3. etc? This may be the same type of issue when you view a file and windows asks: "what type of program do you want to open this file with?". You are then asked to manually choose the corresponding program. It seems the most automatic program is Adobe Acrobat.

I have not done much with burning CD-r's with data info, only 16 bit wav. files for music. The burning software I use is Nero 5 which I have found the most reliable. Roxio is in my new laptop which I have not used for music files...yet.

Nero is from Ahead software and you might want to check out their web site or even write to them for assistance. Their software is affordable and downloadable with free upgrades off the web.

I would think that this is an "auto-detect" problem, maybe even curable off the website of your recording software provider.

Jim Tavegia

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Aki asked:

why is that? and is there a solution to it?

By default a CD-ROM drive is supposed to find the last closed session on a disc and read data from it. Depending on the operating system or your drive, this may not be exactly the case.

See if your burning software allows you to "link" previous sessions to the newest one. In theory, a standard ISO9660 CD-ROM table of contents should be able to find a file anywhere on the disc, in any session.

Apart from that, the only suggestion I could make is to plan your CD burning in such a way that you don't need to burn multisession discs.

4. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Aki,

If the CD-ROM read-only device is an older one, it's probably not "multi-session" capable. You said that when you ADD files later, then you cannot read them, but you could read the original files from the first session, and can read all the files on the CD-ROM writer device. That tells me that the CD-ROM read-only device is not "multi-session" capable. You should upgrade your CD-ROM read-only device.

Hope this helps...
    jim

5. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Diane, Ransom and JamesJ.

thanks to all your suggestions. what you all said are somehow new to me, and they helped!