1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inspiration of scriptures

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by russell55, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Amen, Brother Ed, preach it!!!

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

I was really thinking only of the actual originals penned by the authors. If God inspired the meaning that the authors were trying to communicate, did he also ensure that that meaning was adequately communicated in the words the authors wrote? I am not asking did the Holy Spirit dictate the words used. But can we be confident the God's intended meaning is adequately communicated objectively through the words the authors chose to use?

And any of you who have written about inspired meanings or message can answer this as well. I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you mean by inspired meanings (or message) and am trying to pin this down.

Does inspired meaning mean in the authors heads only, or does it transfer to what is written for us in the original text?

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Russell55,

The fact that you're having a tough time "pinning it down" probably means that you're on the right track!

Let's start with the premise that God is powerful, and as such is able to get us His word as He sees fit.

Now when we look at various manuscripts, and by consequence modern versions, we see small differences. Indeed we really do not know the EXACT words in the originals since we do not have them. If they alone were perfectly (word for word) inspired then why did God allow them to decay in the dirt?

So what is INSPIRED? As I have posted many times I think we must be careful about calling anything on paper truly INSPIRED since language is limited inherently! I think the best way to conceptualize this involves our UNDERSTANDING of the Word.

Let's look at Jn 6:37. Jesus says that whoever will come to Him He will "in no wise cast out". What does cast out imply - throw out, send away, reject gently but firmly, what?? But when a believer reads this verse the understanding is clear. Whoever seeks to know Jesus as savior will not be rejected by Him!! It is the understanding, the essence of the word, which is written on our hearts by the Spirit, that is truly inspired!!

So whether we're talking about the English bible, or the very earliest writings from the hand of Paul or any of the other apostles, we still are dealing with God's truth conatined in limited human language.

I think that the originals certainly contained the correct words - since holy men spake as they were moved. But only with the help of the Spirit can the black marks on paper come alive and be truly the inspired word of God.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The original penmen wrote what God wanted them to write, in THEIR languages. And I believe God has presented His word to Us, as He chose. As the Maker & Overseer of all forms of communication, He knows that no one language will translate 100% into any other, but He has the power to place His word into any language as He wishes the users of that language to have it. HIS choices don't always match those of men, but GOD'S choices are the ones that matter; after all, He IS the boss, it's HIS word, HIS commandments to all mankind.

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

See, I have a really hard time with this statement since it seems to fly in the face of one of only a couple texts we have about the nature of the "God=breathedness" of God's message to us. Paul says "the writings" are God-breathed. To me, this means that what the original authors WROTE down was in some way breathed out by God. Can you explain how you square this statement by Paul with your statement that we need to be careful saying anything on paper is inspired?

So you see inspiration as only a subjective thing? Something we individually experience? Is there no objective inspiration? If there is no objective truth communicated in the scripture, how are those who reject it, who have not had the word written on their hearts by the spirit, held accountable for their rejection of the truth?

I agree with this--all of the truth about God cannot be communicated to us, not only because of language limits, but because the finite cannot fully understand the infinite. But some things about God can be communicated--we may see through a glass darkly, but we still see something.

I think perhaps you are using the word inspired differently than I would. The inspired word of God is contained in the text. We understand that inspired word contained in the text through the illumination of the Spirit. But the objective truth is there in the text for all so see and understand if they will.

6. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Russell55,

"I think perhaps you are using the word inspired differently than I would. The inspired word of God is contained in the text. We understand that inspired word contained in the text through the illumination of the Spirit. But the objective truth is there in the text for all so see and understand if they will."

I'd agree completely with this statement. The texts are "inspired" as much as anything human can be. The reason I raise this point is that we obviously DON'T have the originals - so how can the specific words of those originals alone have been specifically inspired? Why would God have done that and then let them get lost? Otherwise what is inspired? the words? the punctuation marks? the syntax? Since God is able, we must believe we have what He wanted us to have. As such I feel that multiple translations in multiple languages - even if they are slightly different - contain the word of God.