1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Instead Of/Better Than I.D.:

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by UnchartedSpirit, Nov 21, 2007.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I feel it would be easier to make a "Theory" for God rather than just base God from his creation. We should step beyond ID and probe into actually producing a "forumla" for God, because that's the only thing they'll except as science. I don't think He would mind either...God himself has stated that he doesn't want to be viewed as a unexplainable, unattainable, "fairy tale" God...He's a proven that he's a Rational God and everything he does is such...so there must be a "rational" way of looking at him. It may require rewriting or creating a few new laws in physics, I bet though we could do this with the Laws already given to us! For example: Einsten proving that time is a physical property in the universe as much as matter is...we can confirm God's omnipresence & omniscience, and that he can act (or react, possibly?) on/to anything/anywhere in the universe with no boundaries to how fast he does so (I also came up with a consolation theory that God made everything during the 6 day creation peroid to cause every event/action that occured to the present thus the universe's speed limit doesn't even matter, but I don't think the non-scientefic Christian body would appreciate it). So you see, a scientefic equaion(s) for God himself, not just what God made (which we don't even have as far as I've heard ID is just a book full of empty speculation), is easier to form than we would think it was. We could at least prove the probability/possiblity of God which may even cause Dawikins-level athiests to come to faith. So far the things I've come up with to prove God is that 1) nonmaterial lifeforms can exist 2) that God can exist and work outside the universe...(speaking of which, what is outside the universe? Scientests say it's expanding like a baloon...but what is the baloon expanding in?) 3) If God does have some physical qualities, one of which would be that he contains an infinite amount of "energy" that cannot dissipate...or 4) that energy can be created/destroyed as easily as matter is (note that when God destoys the old heaven/ earth he should destroy all the energy that came with it). I'm sure there are a lot of other things that would need to be proved for God to become possible in the minds of Scientests, but if that handful listed above was tackled we'd work miracles in the athiestic/agnostic/skeptic communities!

2. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are several proofs for God's existence, and they are in line with scripture. Romans 1, for example, says that non-believers know enough about the existence of God so that they are without excuse.

Horizontal Cosmological:
    1. Every finite thing had a beginning and needs a cause.
    2. The universe is finite and had a beginning.
    3. Therefore the universe needs a cause.

Vertical Cosmological:
    1. Everything in the universe currently is contingent (needs an ongoing cause for it's continued existence)
    2. Therefore the whole universe is contingent right now.
    3. Therefore there must be something outside the universe that is eternal and self-existing.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or.....

We can stick to God's plan of faithfully proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ and letting God Holy Spirit convict them of the truth and bring them to repentance and faith.

peace to you:praying:

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I am sure I replied to this yesterday, but the reply has not appeared, so I will try again:

Your idea sounds good, but I don't think it would work. It just is not possible to reduce Almighty God to a human scientific formula. Romans 11.33-36:

33 ΒΆ Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! 34 "For who has known the mind of the LORD? Or who has become His counselor?" 35 "Or who has first given to Him And it shall be repaid to him?" 36 For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.

The bible doesn't set out to prove the existence of God; it assumes it. "In the beginning, God....."

Your suggestion made me think of the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. When the rich man, in torment, asks that Lazarus should go back from the dead to warn his (the rich man's) brothers, he is told that they would not believe even though one rise from the dead. We find this exemplified in Scripture. When the other Lazarus was raised from the dead by Jesus, did everyone start believing? When Jesus Himself rose from the dead, did everyone start believing? No, for we read of the religious leaders bribing the soldiers who had been guarding the tomb to tell lies, rather then acknowledging the truth themselves.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UnchartedSpirit,

I do believe agree with you that we should "step beyond ID"....

I also believe with David Lamb that God cannot fit into a theory. To me, that's what faith is. You either believe or you don't - based on nothing that can be proven or disproven.

Like you, I wish that somehow those in this world who crave the formulatic could understand God. But somehow, I think if God did present himself in a formula, they wouldn't accept Him even then.

A very good and interesting discussion!