1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interest Rates

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, May 26, 2009.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The bible has specific things to say about interest rates and charging people interest. The US has revelled in the marvel of compound interest (and suffered for it too). Yet does what scripture teach in favor or opposed to such application? Are we appling biblical principles to our economy? If not are we sinning?

Exodus 22:25
    Leviticus 25:36-37
    Would these following verse be applicable to compound interest?
    Deuteronomy 23:19
    Proverbs 28:8
    Ezekiel 18:8
    Ezekiel 18:13
    But then
    Duteronomy 23:20
    Matthew 25:27
    Luke 19:23

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote: "You probably read this prohibition of interest the way I do: that was then and this is now.
    Reading the Bible like this is reading the Bible as Story. It unfolds and propels us to live out the Bible in our day in our way."

The Blue Parakeet, Rethinking How You Read the Bible
    By Scot McKnight (Zondervan, 2008) p 57

3. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You make a good point. However, it fall short with this aspect. Is their a principle that is unchanging as God and which he wants to get accross to us? Interest as used in this country for bebt and (other things) are often at Usery levels. Yet our financial system revolves around it like a fat greedy sun. We understand God is unchanging in who and what he is. whether old or new. In the old testiment people didn't understand about things like bacteria or the effect and how to attract mold. God encorporated in his law rules that taught a primitive humanity how to avoid problems associated with it. Now we understand about mold and do those things naturally or things that will have the same effect. However, what about interest are there natural pitfalls in this system that can harm humanity? I believe there is. In our society human life has been devalued to the point where abortion reigns because of a financial hinderance on the family. Land developers are constantly buying up farm land to build new suberbs. There is no natural growth and decline bacuase of credit. So are there more issues than just the acquisition of wealth? Is there a spiritual principle here?

4. billwald

billwald New Member

We understand God is unchanging in who and what he is. whether old or new. In the old testiment people didn't understand about things like bacteria or the effect and how to attract mold. God encorporated in his law rules that taught a primitive humanity how to avoid problems associated with it. Now we understand about mold and do those things naturally or things that will have the same effect.

Why is this methodology OK for microbiology but not for astronomy and other areas of knowledge?

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not sure what you're referrencing?

6. billwald

billwald New Member

In the same way that the people in bible times didn't understand germs so you say that God gave a sanitary code that they could understand.In the same way, they would not have understood atomic structure and atomic and sub atomic reactions so God told them a story of a six day creation.

So when Jesus taught

John 12:24
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit

I suspect that he was referring to the best agricultural theory of that day. We know that farmers "proof" their seed because dead seed does not sprout.

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok. So ultimately what's he getting at? That this isn't a principle? Spell it out a bit for me. I think its a little over my head what point is bieng made. Sorry I'm not the shapest tool in the shed.