1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured interesting church membership process

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by mont974x4, Dec 18, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes I can. If one follows the model in Acts, members were added daily. Steps like the one listed or communicants class, indoctrination, etc is a mark of the Catholic Church and some Protestant churches. The process is not Scrpitural, and would never even consider joining a church the had such a policy. It is along the same mindset as creeds.

Of course, as someone else already pointed out, each local church can do as they please. That is their right. I am just not going to be a part of it.

#21 saturneptune, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked this question before - but if the Lord called you to that church- would you become a member?

But back to my initial statement - but where does Scripture specifically prohibit it? Would Amos 3:3 come into play.
    In fact would you comment on post number 18?

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ohhhh.....still another worldly church attempting to manipulate.

Jason, why do you want to get involved with these people? I can understand your commitment to church community & wanting to be a part of something & I can even understand your being in (living in) a void area for good churches! Im there too, but dont compromise brother.....it will dilute you & more importantly your family. I am finding that by not compromising, my family & I are stronger in the Faith. My wife is a much more resolute Christian by following biblical translations than caving into crappy unbiblical church organizations that move into the worldly realm.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN! Me nither:thumbsup:

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This issue about a membership class being unscripitural...

Suppose I was to say it is unscripitual for a church to have a cross and/or steeple. You see, there is no place in the Bible that we are too have one.

In fact, in the early days, churches actually met in homes - so we could say that church building are unscripitual.

Therefore a True Christian should never join a church, which has built its own building.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What is the purpose of our membership class? To meet with the people who want to join the church and let them know about the church. Our little book that we put together has the statement of faith of the church, how we practice things and things like that. We talk about the beliefs of the church, ways to get involved and why we do certain things. It's nothing fancy - usually just an evening at someone's house and it lasts about 2.5-3 hours because of questions. But it's a great evening for people to get to know the church that they wish to become a member of.

7. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Have you ever researched where the "steeple"on a church was derived and what it means? I think if you did you would never want your church building to have one.

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Well, I guess this practice provided in the OP could fit within the area of confirming their confession of faith.

In the New Testament the act of baptism was the public profession of faith where their repentance and faith were expressed publicly. So, to be recognized as a believer one submitted imediately to baptism as their public profession. So there was no time delay between the profession and baptism. Likewise, upon baptism they were admitted right into the teaching assembly (Acts 2:41).

However, today we do live in a mass of Christendom confusion instead of one clear obvious practice united by all churches in the first century.

Therefore, in our situation the practice set forth in the OP could fit within the public profession process I guess, so that confusion is eliminated and clarity is confirmed.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears you did not understand the purpose of my post (# 25).
    But since you answered the first half, how about answering the second half?

But to stay on OP - I have started a new thread on Steeples

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The scritpures are not silent about the process (Mt. 28:18-19) nor is it silent about the practice (Acts 2:41-42).

Houses are buildings and churches met in houses.

However, if you will look at my ammended position in my last post then I think we may have some common ground.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats OK by me....thats where we meet most of the time...in my home. I actually prefer it.

12. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Wow, some of you have really read to much into this process.

The class was not indoctrination. It was lunch with the senior pastor. During this time of fellowship he shared the doctrinal position of the church and information about its ministries. I would bet all of us do this as part of our due diligence to not sit under a teacher, or participate in ministries, where false teachings occur. If we do not do this we are in serious trouble.

As to publishing the names for two weeks. I cannot find this commanded in Scripture, nor can I find it commanded against in Scripture. In Acts people were added to the church that day. The difference is the people in the church were present when the conversions happened. When new people seek to become members of churches today they are doing so on a confession of faith regarding an event that none of the people in church in question were present for. While I would not have this in a process that I was in charge of as a pastor I cannot find any real reason to object to it.

What this local church is doing is wise. It is not quickly allowing people, especially those who will likely become servants in the church, to become members. They are simply desiring to confirm the reality of our claims of being followers of Christ.

EWF, you asked why I would want to join this church? For one I have not found another pastor in this town who consistently preaches Christ-exalting expository sermons. These have challenged and refreshed me. Second, I see God working in and through the people of this church as it is committed to the sharing of the Gospel in our community and in the surrounding area. Everything it does is grounded on the Gospel. Third, and most importantly, my bride and I are convinced that God has led us to this church for this time. The biblical example of Christians living life together is a given.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't you want to know what your church believes, why they do, how they practice the mandate to witness etc?

i would before commiting to them by act of public water baptism!

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you & your wife have already made your choice. Best of luck with it. What is the distance from your abode to the church?

15. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

It's about 9 miles. That would be on the opposite end of town from us.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist Board Rule # 77 requires ministers to live within 7 miles of the church

17. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

oh, drat
    At least I lived within 1 mile of our previous church.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We didn't know that!! We're about 20 miles from ours!!! But then again, we're 4 miles from the home campus. :D

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    so Apostle paul and His side kick Luke did not qualify?

20. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is very similar to our church, though I find step three a bit unusual. I have never heard of this before, but it may be an "EFC thing." We don't have EFC churches here, so I am not very familiar with them.

Step one is our membership or "Discovery" class, which is for those who are interested in church membership. It is a six week long course taught by our senior pastor. (I went through once that was 12 weeks. Now that was intense and long!)

Step two is a private meeting with two elders and the pastor. This is an opportunity to give your testimony.

Note - those who are joining the church on a profession of faith (rather than via church transfer) are baptized.

Step three is an introduction to the church body. Since we are not congregational, we do not have a church-wide vote, as this is handled by the elders.