1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interesting Song Lyrics

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Graceplusworks, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Graceplusworks

Graceplusworks New Member

These words seem to go with current events. Perhaps you've seen or heard them:
    G+W

2. Graceplusworks

sorry...goofed.

3. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

It’s about misconceptions and misunderstandings

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It's also something of a hoax.

5. Graceplusworks

Daisy:
    What are you babbling about?? This is a CMT video playing now.

G+W

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

What difference does it make that it's a video playing now? That doesn't erase the hoax associated with it.

Then, too, is the rather dishonest premise of the song, that a woman gave her the finger because of her bumpersticker. I mean, how would she know why (supposing it happened at all)? Maybe the woman hates SUVs or maybe she'd cut her off in traffic without realizing it or maybe she'd changed lanes without signaling. People in cars are often rude. It's a leap to suppose it had anything to do with her bumpersticker (supposing it happened at all).

That's what I'm babbling about, as you so sweetly and delicately put it, Grace.

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Patriotism sells. Candidates, music, whatever.

Sad state of affairs, but we give in to it. None of us is really immune to that kind of thing, unless we don't care about our country at all.

And there are lots of con artists out there to take advantage.

8. Graceplusworks

Galatian, Daisy: I am happy to report you have missed the point of the song (and I really enjoyed your irrelevant article from more than a year ago, which had absolutely nothing to do with this song.)

The point is not whether or not this actually happened or whether it was artificially pushed up in the charts as some other song may have been.

The point, dear Daisy, is that there are people out there who have the sort of attitide of the vulgar woman in the song towards people who support their sons and daughters in the military by some small show of patriotism such as a bumper sticker.

I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it is the heighth of hyprocrisy, not to mention bad manners, to disrespect those who have volunteered to to impose their very bodies between us and danger...wherever it arises. And it has nothing to do with whether we should have been in Iraq or not.

Simple respect, witheld by those self-satisified in their ignorance.

G+W

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Not long ago---I was verbally attacked by a little lady---true story!

I was at a SB encampment---eating morning breakfast while reading a USA Today paper. A preacher buddy was eating with me at my table---the chairs/tables in the dining hall are in close proximity to each other--the little young lady couldn't have been no more that 5 feet away from us!---I thought I was minding my own business---but evidently my business started "spillin' over" into this lady's emotional lap like hot coffee at McDonald's!!!!

There was a letter to the editor from some guy who was blasting the Star Spangled Banner---I mean, he was shootin' more holes into the National Anthem then John Wayne did at Iwo!!!

All I did was---I looked over at my buddy eating with me and said, "Dude! Listen to this!"---the conversation didn't even belong to the little young lady next to us----but evidently she was listenin' in like she was the reincarnation of everything the NAZI Gestapo and Soviet KGB stood for!!

I read the letter to my buddy---who was flabbergasted about it as I was---then I commented, "Folks just don't understand, do they??"

Thats all I said!!

This little lady gets up from where she was sitting with her breakfast trey in her hands--walks over to where I was---and commences to "blessin'" me out about what was wrong with the National Anthem---too much violence, bloodshed, not enough love for Jesus and each other---too much war and its glory!!---she finally shut up and I looked at her and said this

"Lady! According to the book of Exodus--the word from the Word says that God is a God of war!!--and that over in the Book of Psalms, David said that it was God who taught his hands to do war!"

She stomped off like the building was on fire--and thats the last I saw or heard from her!!! I promise I wasn't mad----nor was I mad at this woman---but she sure looked at me like I was a stick of rat poison---but her's was the only fuse lit and it was burnin' down to the stick of dynamite real fast!!!

People in America are weird, ain't they!!! I tell myself all the time---I'm the only normal person who lives in this country!!!

God speed to the US Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines!!

Long live President George W. Bush!!

Bro. David

[ March 03, 2005, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I'm glad you enjoyed the article, although I do wonder how you can state that the article had "absolutely nothing to do with this song" when it was quite specifically about the song and the songwriter/singer.

You seem to be confusing your point with my point; your point of view is not the only valid point. After all, Grace, you did ask what I was "babbling" about so I simply answered your rather rudely put question.

There may be, dear Grace, but they are in the extreme minority in this country. I have never met one yet.

No, it is the height of ingratitude, not hypocrisy, to diss the military and their families. It is hypocritical, however, to decry the bad manners of some while indulging in rudeness oneself.

I totally agree, although perhaps not in the direction you intend. And, since you brought up the subject of ignorance, here is a link to the definition of "hypocrisy".

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Perhaps the lady got the finger because all these poor troops are having to die to maintain the oil supply that fuels that gas-guzzling road hog she is driving around in. That minivan probably gets 30mpg ;)

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

James---mu Silverado gets 20mpg's and I ain't goin' around "flippin' off" our troops, Marines, and Sailors!

13. Mike Stidham

Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention, if I recall correctly, Chely Wright's from Canada! [​IMG]

What difference does it make that it's a video playing now? That doesn't erase the hoax associated with it.

Then, too, is the rather dishonest premise of the song, that a woman gave her the finger because of her bumpersticker. I mean, how would she know why (supposing it happened at all)? Maybe the woman hates SUVs or maybe she'd cut her off in traffic without realizing it or maybe she'd changed lanes without signaling. People in cars are often rude. It's a leap to suppose it had anything to do with her bumpersticker (supposing it happened at all).

That's what I'm babbling about, as you so sweetly and delicately put it, Grace.
    </font>[/QUOTE]