1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interesting Twist (not Pepsi)

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jeremiah, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was emailed this link to an msnbc story about some anti war demonstrators that were kicked out of a mall for their T-Shirts.

The same "law" that applies to keeping me from wearing a very graphic picture of Christ on the cross or of an an aborted child on my tshirt was applied to these anti war demonstrators.

Interesting ... very interesting.

-- Jeremiah

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "law" you refer to is very simple... it is a trespassing law. Those who own private property can usually choose to eject those who violate the rules of the private property.

When you go to a mall, you are almost always going onto private property designed to create a controlled shopping environment. Those who disrupt the carefully cultivated environment may be asked to leave.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

The courts have ruled that while a shopping mall is private property, it's a public forum.

T-shirts are a form of speech and are protected under the 1st Amendment.

The only thing the mall can do now to keep from getting the pants sued off them is demonstrate that the faher and son were causing a disturbance or soliciting. From every account I've heard, it doesn't sound like they were.