1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interfaith Issues and Rick Warren

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Oct 4, 2008.

1. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Okay I have to ask why? My neighborhood is made up of such a melting pot of religions and cultures and we have our differences but we also have our similarities and if they asked me to help them with a cause that was very close to my heart like pro-life rally or anti-racism rally you had better believe I would not turn them down because of their "beliefs" God put us all on this Earth to get along and love each other and it just burns me up when a IFB wont sit down with a Catholic or in this case the Muslim. God loved all of us wretches that we are and I love all people regardless of color or religion or culture. If you think you are better than them, you are not. We are all sinners.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And the Scriptural support for this?

I'll give you my answer that disagrees with this comment:

Isaiah 43:7

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I said, there are many less common definitions of the term but the common one is the one I stated.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An unbeliever may look at my work with a Muslim and conclude the distinctive beliefs of Christianity do not matter.
    I love them too. I love them enough to tell them the truth about their false beliefs and proclaim the true gospel to them, regardless of the consequences. Even if it hurts their feelings. Even if they withdraw their friendship. Even if it makes them angry. Even if they call me names and tell me I don't love them.
    It is not about being "better". It is about being saved or being lost. You don't do anyone any favors, nor do you demonstrate love, by giving them the false sense of security regarding their position before God.

peace to you:praying:

5. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

And you all dont realize the seeds you plant when you associate with a muslim or a catholic. Jesus's commandment to us was love one another as we love ourselves and he didnt say just Christians He said love one another so I take that to mean everyone. You would not believe the questions I have gotten about my faith when I am in my melting pot neighborhood and we are having a block party or something. I love when I get to answer questions about my faith in the Lord. I had a lady tonight that is from India that moved this weekend into the townhouse 3 doors down from me and did I shun her because she is Islamic? No I took a cake down to her tonight and welcomed her to the neighborhood I did not act better than her I did tell her I was a Christian and went to church down the road from our home but I didnt act any better than her. She remarked how nice I was and invited me and my son to her house for dinner Tuesday night. Its all about being accessible to the people of this world and not acting better than them and following Jesus's commandment to love everyone. I could have been rude and not gone over there but then she would have felt shunned by her neighbor and I want her to feel welcome regardless if she is a Christian or not.

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question was about doing works of charity with a muslim, not being neighborly.

You keep accusing me of thinking I am "better" than others. Why do you keep saying that?
    Do you tell them that there is no other God, but the one true God? Do you tell them the God of Islam is a false God? Do you tell them there is no other way of salvation, but through faith in Jesus Christ?

It is good to be neighborly. It is good to want them to feel welcome.

It is not good to let them think there are many ways to heaven. It is not good to let them die in their sins, without proclaiming the truth of Jesus Christ and Him alone as the way to salvation, because you're afraid they might think you believe you are "better" than they are.

peace to you:praying:

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Gold Dragon, this statement....
    ...When I asked Warren to name something that he admired about Muslims, he answered without hesitation: "you people are not afraid to talk about God, he said with a smile. It's always, 'God willing', or 'God bless', or 'Thanks be to God.' That's something I admire, because I come from the same place."

...does give the impression that Warren thinks the Muslim god is either okay or the same as the Christian God. This is the way the commentator understood it ("American religion at its best") and I'm sure this is the way the Muslim took it. There is simply no other way to take it.

My point in posting this as that I am personally seeing a watering down of the gospel within the church, and an acceptance of the belief that people can have eternal life outside of knowing Christ. Statements like the above don't help.

You can say nice things about Muslims without giving the impression that their god is the one true living God. I gave some examples.

I don't either. But this does not mean one must make the Muslim feel their god is the true God. There are things one can say that are nice without giving the unbeliever a sense of false security.

#27 Marcia, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm glad you are friendly but this is completely off topic. This is not about shunning anyone. You are not addressing the issue raised in the OP.

Btw, just fyi, I interact with Wiccans, New Agers, and Satanists in my ministry, so I'm hardly one to advocate shunning people, especially because of what I was before. In fact, back in the 90s, I was speaking in churches saying we should welcome people who come to church who might look different - covered in tatoos, purple dyed hair, pierced lips/eyebrows/nose, dressed in black, whatever.

9. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Rick Warren not taking a stance............