1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Internet Security Programs

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by alley, Apr 17, 2006.

1. alley

alley New Member

I currently have Norton on my computer.
    Is there a better choice?

Have any of you used Mcaffe or Besafeonline?
    Pro's and con's on these would be helpful. Thank You

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was hit by an invasive virus for the first time this past Christmas after getting FiberOptic phone and internet service.
    The virus offered me discount spyware-removal software (hee-hee) ...rather sneaky!
    As I tried to remove it manually the infestation really began to get nasty.
    Eventually I got rid of about 35 spyware and virus bits but ended up having to re-format to get things back the way I wanted them to be.

Since then I've used B-Safe.

From what I understand it filters material before it gets to your computer.

It doesn't need to be upgraded since it really isn't on my computer.

I scan my computer each night.
    It provides an accountablily service; your web log can be sent to whomever you choose, it can't be errased or tampered with.

I also have additional backup software to filter spyware; but it's redundant.

Rob

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

I've been told that Norton is a bit more of a memory hog than McAfee. Having used both, I like McAfee's platform better. I also have SpySweeper. No worries here.

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Good luck with uninstalling norton if you have to! I like McAfee as well

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Both Norton & McAfee can exact a toll of around 20% on system performance. I recommend downloading AVG antivirus from Grisoft. Free for home use, and has regular updates.

6. Kilad

Kilad New Member

I also use and highly Suggest Spy Sweeper on top of your normal antivirus.

7. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest AVG Antivirus. Very good and all updates are free! When I installed it (after running Norton for a year) it found a virus that Norton had missed. It has a very good reputation. You can get it from www.grisoft.com

Also, Zone Alarm firewall has a free version that is also very good (better than the XP built-in firewall by far). Asks you when a program wants to connect to the internet or someone wants to come into your computer that you didn't first initiate a connection to. You can check a box for it to remember your answer and it doesn't ask again. Also very highly rated.

For spyware, I use Adaware and Spybot. I tried Spy Sweeper but it broke my fast user switching on my PC. I found that this was a known issue and the company never did anything about it, so I removed it. It is supposed to be very good at detecting spyware, however, so if you don't need the user switching, go for it.

8. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

xofspy will find trojan/virus none of the popular programs will find, variations of the "Coolwebseach" in particular, a free download is available, it doesn't remove anything but will inform if any exit on your system.

A "registry monitoring/warning" program looks for alterations of the "system" rather than new variations of trojan/virus and is very effective.

http://www.resplendence.com/main

Has a "lite version", which can be used to remove any "keys" from the registry that Xofspy might find, Just be sure of what you're deleting, plus a backup/restore option.

Lavasoft is good for "cookies trackers".

Best of all, it's all "FREE".

9. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

I currently use

Peer Guardian firewall, have also used kerio and zonealarm as well

Avast! antivirus, have also used bitdefender, AVG and AntiVir, all pretty decent freeware progs (never install more than one antivirus prog btw!!)

prevx antispyware

superantispyware

lavasoft

windows defender from microsoft is a good free program against spyware as well

no doubt in some cases there is redundency, but I hate spyware, some progs catch what others miss

though I am always checking out different freeware progs.... [​IMG]

10. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

I use an older version of Norton (2002). It is not as memory intensive as more recent releases. Problem is they no longer support it. When I am unable to renew will switch to something else. AVG, most likely.

Use adaware and spybot for spyware. It is a great combination. Adaware removes a few things that Spybot misses and Spybot has an "Immunize" feature that prevents spyware from getting in at all. Both are free. BTW I am also a PC consultant and get paid to fix this stuff on other people's PC's so I do have a little experience with this.

And yep, I agree removing a failed Norton install is a lot of fun if you do not know what to do. Editing the windows registry is not for newbies... Back it up first!

Used to be that viruses were more common, now it is the spyware that seems to cause more problems. Viruses are still out there and getting better, its just that spyware seems to be much more of an issue for now....

11. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Oh, btw, if you use Spybot, it may try to keep your AV s/w from overruling the Windows settings. Do not check the box to remove this feature of your AV s/w...

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have Norton Pro and only load the antivirus. I don't load all the other stuff but still uses lot of memory but I have 1 gig.

13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Brag, brag, brag! [​IMG] [​IMG]