Internet Seminaries?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges / Seminaries' started by R3Ministry, May 7, 2005.

1. R3Ministry

R3Ministry
    Expand Collapse

I am graduating from Leavell College (NOBTS undergrad) next week.
    I will be pastoring in a rural area in AL after graduation and I am looking to pursue a MDiv.

Are there any good Internet Seminaries out there?

I would like one that...
    1. teaches sound doctrine (preferably Southern Baptist)
    2. preferably accredited
    3. can be completed on-line
    4. inexpensive

I appreciate any helpful input.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician
    Expand Collapse

R3Ministry,

Check out the satelite programs of the SBC seminaries. About 2/3, I think, of the MDiv can be done via distance learning. You do have to make trips but you may not be able to do that. One of the better programs is the Master of Arts in Religion that Liberty U. has. Pretty expensive but is all on line(?) I think. Then you can roll your hrs over into the MDiv later.

There are NO MDiv accredited programs totally on line that I know about. There is another good program @ Reformed Theological in Jackson, MS. Check it out.

This is certainly the place to get some good info. You may find out like I did that your education is ALWAYS a "work in progress" and that you will never-ever be finished.

I have been throught seminary 4 times and have soome expertise. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

sdg!

rd

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician
    Expand Collapse

Please forgive the typos above.

rd

4. UZThD

UZThD
    Expand Collapse

I suggest you get it in writing unless the catalogue specifically says so that NO residence is required.

5. Martin

Martin
    Expand Collapse

==I would suggest either Liberty University or Luther Rice Seminary. Both have external degree programs (w/ MDiv). Liberty does not offically require campus time but you would probably end up doing at least one or two week long modular courses on campus. If you want to get the degree online Liberty would probably be your best shot. Liberty is Southern Baptist, they are not that expensive, and they are fully accredited (TRACS and SACS). Liberty also has a very good reputation.

Luther Rice offers a MDiv through their external degree program and, at this time, they claim to have no on campus requirements. Now they may only offer certain courses through the modular format I don't know. Luther Rice is accredited by TRACS and is on the way to earning SACS accreditation as well. Luther Rice is Southern Baptist, and conservative.

As for other programs, most will require you to do several semesters on campus. That is not a bad thing in itself but the reasons for it are negative. The reasons for this are:

1. Out of date thinking by the school. They believe that distance education is not as good as on campus education. That is simply not true. Both have ups, and both have downs. In the end it all equals out. It really just depends upon what you are looking for.

2. Accrediting agencies like ATS hold out of date views of distance education. They believe that distance education is not as good as on campus education. That is simply not true. Both have ups, and both have downs. In the end it all equals out. It really just depends upon what you are looking for.

I am finishing up my MAR at Liberty (externally). Their courses are challenging, educational, and very interesting. Some are strictly online, others are a online/dvd combo. They use their finest professors on the dvds (Carl Diemer, Ergan Caner, Elmer Towns, etc).

See links:
    Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary

Luther Rice Seminary

In Christ,
    Martin

6. Nord

Nord
    Expand Collapse

Good suggestions. Liberty is probably your best bet. If I recall correctly their residencies (week long) are short and few and the rest can be done by distance learning. Liberty would give you a good regionally accredited MDiv. Pretty reasonably priced. Luther Rice is also a good option (not only TRACS but possibility of RA). Also affordable.

If you went beyond MDiv...there are all kinds of options from Liberty MAR to South African Theological Seminary (SATS). They have a very... very affordable MTh and are the SA equivalent of accredited.

If you want free with much more limited utility, there is Nations University. They are unaccredited and affiliated with the Church of Christ. Only have an MRS & MMin degree. Each course consists of text books, five or so exams (essay and multiple choice). Above board, sincere and mission oriented.

My opinion is that in your position you should put out the 100 or so a credit hour for Liberty and do the MDiv through them. It would allow you the ability to move on to an accredited doctorate program afterwards. Next would be the LRS MDiv. Also would allow you to move into doctorate programs (little more limited due to TRACS but RA & TRACS options).

North

7. Nord

Nord
    Expand Collapse

Forgot to add with NU in addition to the exams there are essays.

I also repeat my end point which is that LU or LRS are the best bets.

North

8. R3Ministry

R3Ministry
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the input guys!

9. Nord

Nord
    Expand Collapse

Let us know what happens and which direction you go.

10. R3Ministry

R3Ministry
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Nord,

I will probably either take y'alls advice and go with LU or go with the NOBTS prgram and hope it gets better during the process.
    With the Baptist Co-op plan I can test out of/take seminars for 20 something hours with NOBTS and they count as on campus hours, but I would still have to go back to campus some.

If Liberty participates in the Baptist Co-op plan then I am sold on them. Their on-line program looks much better than what NOBTS has right now.

Thanks again everyone for the input. It has been helpful.

11. Humblesmith

Humblesmith
    Expand Collapse

You should also check out Sothern Evangelical Seminary, based in Charlotte. They have an external MDiv. They require some on-campus courses, but they are compacted into one-week time periods, so you can do it without moving.

Outstanding program. I'm not sure how they compare to Liberty, cost-wise.

12. JGrayhound

JGrayhound
    Expand Collapse

Well, I disagree strongly with your view here. Do you REALLY think that distance education is just as good as on-campus learning? Surely not.

It would be my guess that you are only saying that because your degree is a distance degree. Rationalization?

It is not just about the information gained in classes or from books. It has to do with the social structure of seminary, the interaction with professors and other students. That can NOT be replaced by extension centers, message boards, chat rooms, and DVD classes.

It's not "out of date"...it is actually true that distance education is not as good as on-campus. I don't know anyone that would say otherwise, unless they were doing distance (like yourself) and wanted to make it seem as if it was all equal. It's not...and I think you know that.

13. UZThD

UZThD
    Expand Collapse

I have completed two teaching credentials in residence: Standard Secondary in English, USD ; Special Ed, OSU.

I also have taken about six grad Bib/theo classes at two DL schools: ACCS and TTS. And I took two DL courses at Western CB SEminary.

I also have completed work in residence for three masters degrees in Bib /Theo from two schools : MA, Point Loma ; MDiv (equiv), ThM. Western Seminary.

I also have completed a DL only research ThD in Systematic Theology at Unizul.

So, I've studied both by DL and in residence.

IMO a DL course CAN be as efficient as an in residence course [with a small enough class to allow interaction], but it IS very,very challenging to make it so.